Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times

Advertisements

I didn't care what echelon of society (By the way, what WOULD be a politically correct term?) the girls I dated were from, but I think there are some characteristics more common to upper classes that I always preferred.

Better manners. I don't see manners as some arcane code of conduct, such as where to put the fish fork in a place setting, but rather a way to ensure that all people are comfortable with a given social situation. Show me a person with bad manners and I'll show you a person who is going to take for granted the people around her.

Better education. I'm sorry. But the idea of hanging out at home breathlessly watching some stupid contrived baloney such as American Idol or Do You Think You Can Dance would absolutely drive me up the wall. I mean, there are books to read, musical groups to see, plays to watch, walks to take, museums to visit, parties to attend, friends to meet, restaurants to try, conversations to have and they want to do THAT? Life is a freaking banquet, yet some people choose to starve to death. Jeez, I remember one girl I sort of dated who organized her entire freaking life around what was on television. Meanwhile, at the time, I didn't own one. She just couldn't understand why.

Better care for themselves. Don't ask me why, but women in the upper classes just seem to think more about nutrition, exercise and the rest.

Mind you, there can be lower class women with impeccable taste and upper class women who are total slobs. But those were my observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just a generalization, People, men and women, tend to prefer a partner that they can take around their friends and their partner and their friends can communicate at the same level and their partner will know how to behave and what manners are acceptable and what are not.

It's difficult to maintain a relationship that is so intellectually diverse that one partner can not understand what the other is saying. Education level might not be the only cause for inequality of comprehension, but it a common one.

Children raised by middle class families are raised with a different set of values and a different outlook on life from children raised in welfare families and from children raised by families of old wealth. Generally, people prefer a partner with the same sort of values and outlook on life.

Just a guess, most persons raised and living middle class don't really want to have their children raised by a welfare queen. People raised in low income families can occasionally be very well raised, and those people won't have too much problem getting with a middle class person, but the low income child raised by a druggy welfare recipient with an entitlement attitude might have a difficult time fitting into a middle class family with middle class friends.

It's a case of like wants like, not something incomprehensibly different.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
D, DD, DDD.

Wait, how do I find out her class??

Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM

231 posts, read 294,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Are you looking for a mate or looking to purchase cattle?
guys have value too.... Bottom line; the world only cares what it can get from you. People only form relationships if they have something to gain. A guy with a car, job, good hair ect. is going to have much higher stock in the dating world than a bald man working at Mcdonald's.

If you don't believe this, you're lying to yourself.

Last edited by andrewC7; 09-30-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-01-2013, 04:26 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post

I appreciate your honesty. You have done many of us a favor by saving us time. We now know not to associate with your hypocritical self. So tell me, what would you say of a man who has no credit because he only buys things with money he actually has? And what in-shape are you talking about, cuz' I got love handles and the 6-pack-of-beer but, I can still do a 10k (6.1 miles) in "full-battle-rattle".

Go take little walk into a big wall.
Haha! Okay, whatever...

I said low credit score. There's nothing wrong with not having credit, but I would find it odd. In-shape meaning you can walk up stairs without being out of breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
gotta like this!!
good post!
Well, thank you!

Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 PM

191 posts, read 144,986 times
positive, smart and wise, yet, couple of other features :-).

money is not important at all.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I didn't care what echelon of society (By the way, what WOULD be a politically correct term?)
Social class or socioeconomic status (SES). Those are the terms social scientists use, anyway.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:42 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I don't think 'class' would matter all that much to me. I would like a lady to dress well, and have good grooming habits, but if she actually thought she was 'high class' then that would be a turn off for me. A woman that thinks she is a little better than anyone else is a turn off to me.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

To any guys on this board who for mates have a preference in terms of class and like middle to upper middle class women, what do you like and admire about them?

Thanks
I don't think class per se is relevant to most men. Now markers of class such as grooming, conversational abilities do. Could be wrong.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I didn't care what echelon of society (By the way, what WOULD be a politically correct term?) the girls I dated were from, but I think there are some characteristics more common to upper classes that I always preferred.

Better manners. I don't see manners as some arcane code of conduct, such as where to put the fish fork in a place setting, but rather a way to ensure that all people are comfortable with a given social situation. Show me a person with bad manners and I'll show you a person who is going to take for granted the people around her.

Better education. I'm sorry. But the idea of hanging out at home breathlessly watching some stupid contrived baloney such as American Idol or Do You Think You Can Dance would absolutely drive me up the wall. I mean, there are books to read, musical groups to see, plays to watch, walks to take, museums to visit, parties to attend, friends to meet, restaurants to try, conversations to have and they want to do THAT? Life is a freaking banquet, yet some people choose to starve to death. Jeez, I remember one girl I sort of dated who organized her entire freaking life around what was on television. Meanwhile, at the time, I didn't own one. She just couldn't understand why.

Better care for themselves. Don't ask me why, but women in the upper classes just seem to think more about nutrition, exercise and the rest.

Mind you, there can be lower class women with impeccable taste and upper class women who are total slobs. But those were my observations.
I have my master degree but love sh*tty tv. I don't have time to watch a lot, but I appreciate some mindlessness after a 16 hour day of textbooks and novels, and writing 40 page papers and 200 paged business documents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships