Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:27 PM

757 posts, read 1,024,668 times

Advertisements

Some people marry for a special kind of love; the kind that transcends race, nationality and religious background. They tend to be more open minded and have a global perspective on things. On the other hand, there’re those who deliberately confine themselves within the boundary of race, nationality and religious background when selecting their potential partner of life. On an intimate level they tend to feel uncomfortable with people that are too different from themselves. It may be due to social programming or simply the way they were brought up by their parents, etc.

Provided communication is not an issue here, how do race, nationality and religious background affect how and whom you select as your significant other?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM

220 posts, read 269,142 times
The woman who lets me be me without accosting, altering, punishing, lecturing me.

It is what is it...take it or leave it.

The only thing that may have to change is slow up on very dangerous tasks involved with work.

Don't need a widow.......

Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Partner for life? Dogs don't live more than about 15 years.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:57 AM

628 posts, read 1,389,331 times
You don't.~

Love either happens or it doesn't, you don't just all of sudden decide, "Ok, NOW I'm going to love someone!"

Nope doesn't work like that, love is not just a switch you can turn on or a cannon you can aim at any one.~

Now is it possible that I love some one but I don't want to be with them?~ Yes, it is.~

For me personally: they must love me completely for who I am and they must never hold back with me.~

Old 10-01-2013, 04:22 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
Some people marry for a special kind of love; the kind that transcends race, nationality and religious background. They tend to be more open minded and have a global perspective on things. On the other hand, there’re those who deliberately confine themselves within the boundary of race, nationality and religious background when selecting their potential partner of life. On an intimate level they tend to feel uncomfortable with people that are too different from themselves. It may be due to social programming or simply the way they were brought up by their parents, etc.

Provided communication is not an issue here, how do race, nationality and religious background affect how and whom you select as your significant other?

I call bull on these assumptions. I think it is a matter of preference. Just because someone has a wide range of what he or she considers attractive does not make him or her any more open-minded or have a more global perspective. The likelihood of this is strong, but even then it is a matter of correlation and not causality. As for someone who prefers to date within his or her race, the idea these people are uncomfortable with people who look different is as closed minded as it gets. Again, this is where preference takes over. Someone can genuinely have an appreciation for a wide range of ethnicities and body types, but when it comes to his or her own partner they prefer a certain type. Preference is one of those things that can evolve over time, but I don't think you can force yourself to change preferences on command.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
that's easy

whoever will have me

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
I also think it's dependent on what you're exposed to. I grew up in a very white county in the 70s. People of color were an anomally. Where we live now is much more diverse and color, for the most part, isn't something my children notice. It's just a part of their lives.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:52 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I go the pound and pick up a stray.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,798 times
When you can go #2 around each other with the bathroom door open.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
I don't think there's any selecting that happens in regard to love; you either do or you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships