Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM

52,006 posts, read 52,457,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
C'mon man, wanting someone fiscally responsible and able to provide for himself does not equal gold digger.
I wonder what exactly consitutes a gold digger.

If a woman wants a guy that has a stable job, can pay his bills, isn't over-the-top in "bad" debt, those things seem fair.

In my whole life I've only had one situation where I personally seen a woman and thought to myself that she was a golddigger.

She was a co-worker and was always talking about dates with men and what gifts they were gonna get her, things along those lines, but she was a nutty flake in general too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM

529 posts, read 701,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
You should read that story because it's about how single motherhood is on the rise. That's unrelated but also quite interesting.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder what exactly consitutes a gold digger.

If a woman wants a guy that has a stable job, can pay his bills, isn't over-the-top in "bad" debt, those things seem fair.

In my whole life I've only had one situation why I personally seen a woman and thought to myself that she was a golddigger.

She was a co-worker and was always talking about dates with men and what gifts they we're gonna get her, things along those lines, but she was a nutty flake in general too.
It might be more sensitive for me, just as it is for jillabean because of my past. Growing up, I was fairly poor and I got zero attention from women. Now, I make a good salary and I'm the same person and if I tell a woman what I do or what I make I get attention. Some of you make recall that I have said that I have no game and am alone and may question that. The thing is, I never tell a woman what I do if I can avoid it. But guess what happens? That's right. No interest from women.

P.S. If I wanted to just nail a woman and dump her, I could. I'm not into that, so I don't do the whole "hey, I have money, let's have sex, bye" thing.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,037,055 times
I think it's ironic that Kanye makes a song about gold-diggers and then knocks up the world's biggest gold-digger.

So for me? Yes gold-digging women exist but you can't be taken if you don't put yourself out there. Those who complain are just mad because they can't "buy" a women hot enough for them. It's the shallow leading the shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
in my opinion, a gold digger is not concern about the man, just his wallet.

and, yes, they do exist. doesn't matter what a douche, scum bag, dead end, loser, there are many women who want, look for, and seek to obtain by any means necessary the lifestyle and payout, not the man.

then there are those guys who understand that a man of means can afford the company of good looking women, and some women appreciates his kindness, generousity, and lifestyle because she knows she is replaceable if she doesn't behave, of she disrespects him, or she doesn't have any (zero) emotions for the guy. and it could just be basic friendship too, like anna nicole smith. her sickly old man just wanted her company in his last few days of life. heck, i could even see myself doing it because you can't take the cash with you, you are leaving well enough behind for inheritance, and you want to spend your last few days enjoyably. is that good digging, so long as she is taking care of me? what cares what others think, as far as i'm concerned, it's just her and me and i'm loving life till my final day.

any lets be honest here, many many women won't date a guy unless he is financially stable or secure. cal lit what you want (ambition, character, potential, whatever), these women are measuring his worth as a man by his financial resources. can you blame them? certainly not if they have the looks, body, and personality to be worth their weight in gold.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
I think it's ironic that Kanye makes a song about gold-diggers and then knocks up the world's biggest gold-digger.
Nobody ever said Kanye was the smartest guy.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndown View Post
You should read that story because it's about how single motherhood is on the rise. That's unrelated but also quite interesting.
It also says that with married couples women earning more than their husbands are on the rise (if you look at the census data). 30% of newlywed couples are ones where women earn more. My point is, women are increasingly the primary bread winners and it's not "rare" as you might think.

Quote:

Norms are also changing: Newlyweds seem to show more openness to having the wife earn more than her husband than do longer-married couples. In about 30 percent of newly married couples in 2011, the wife earned more, versus just 24 percent of all married couples.
EDIT: You know what, I am sorry. That stat I quoted above was in a related article found here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/30/bu...tudy-says.html

Old 10-08-2013, 08:30 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,116,307 times
Quote:
I'd say that by my definition most women who CAN, will do. In other words, not to be too blunt but if you're not hot then you're chances of landing a guy who can support you go down. That's because -- as men are very open in saying -- men look at appearances. We don't go "oh, so you do think that the majority of men are ONLY concerned with appearances ALONE?? Answer the question."
So, your answer is yes? The majority of women ARE gold diggers?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,788,364 times
Quote:
It might be more sensitive for me, just as it is for jillabean because of my past. Growing up, I was fairly poor and I got zero attention from women. Now, I make a good salary and I'm the same person and if I tell a woman what I do or what I make I get attention. Some of you make recall that I have said that I have no game and am alone and may question that. The thing is, I never tell a woman what I do if I can avoid it. But guess what happens? That's right. No interest from women.

P.S. If I wanted to just nail a woman and dump her, I could. I'm not into that, so I don't do the whole "hey, I have money, let's have sex, bye" thing.
You know, it's it's really a problem for you, I believe you. But if you flaunt money by telling women how much you make right off, you *will* attract those after it. It's like coating yourself in honey and standing by a bee hive. If it's only your money that is attracting the women you are around, maybe you are around the wrong women or meeting them in the wrong places.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:37 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,734,709 times
Of course there are gold diggers, those acting like there are not have no clue, and no they are not just the ones making millions every year, there are gold diggers who make next to nothing, looking to marry up to a guy that can provide an upper middle class lifestyle. I know as I made 6 figures when I was 19 years old, and came from a family that was considered upper middle class, with a step father who rebuilt corvettes as his hobby (having 3 or 4 corvettes around the house all the time sure made some think we were very wealthy).

I had a decent car and lived in a house with 4 other guys so I did not experience as much as I could have, but it was funny when one of my friends would slip up and talk about the money I made suddenly some girls would become very interested, other times someone would find out where my parents lived or that my step father owned that shop downtown with all the old collector cars and girls were much more interested.

The most egregious example I can think of was a girl that was hitting on me despite knowing that I was married. When one day I mentioned I lived in a duplex she backed off quickly. Then my buddy who thought it was funny to watch this girl fall all over herself trying to hit on someone not interested decided to tell her all about my history and that while I was broke at the moment I actually had been a millionaire in my 20s and was heading back to that, I was just smarter now and saving my money. Suddenly she spent all her time around me hitting on me again. To me it was kind of funny, especially since I knew she wanted to get into my wallet and did not really like me all that much.

In fact for years I could tell immediately who were the gold diggers and which ones were not, and while I am sure many on this thread will deny it, there are plenty of men who will try to hang out with men who have more money or are more successful then them and then have the nerve to complain about the girls wanting to do the same thing. I used to tell my wife if something ever happened and I did not have any money than I knew what people would still be around and who would disappear. I even named names, and the funny thing was I was only wrong on one of them, and that was a girl that actually tried to help me in the downward spiral.

Fact is gold diggers exist in both sexes, but they are far from the majority. A girl wanting someone stable is not being a gold digger, someone male or female who want their significant other to help them out when they have problems is not being a gold digger, that is just wanting a stable relationship with someone you can count on to help during the bad times. not wanting to date a janitor does not make someone a gold digger, hell the fact is most men out of their 20s are not going to want to date someone who works at a fast food joint as their career. It is just human nature to not want to marry down and both sexes do it. To me a gold digger is someone who only cares about the money and nothing really about the person with the money, and wants to do nothing with their life but spend the money and live off the other persons wealth.

As for the posts complaining that women want it both ways, they want a man to take care of them, yet they want everything else equal, and you are right, many women want their cake and to eat it too, just like many men want their wives to earn equal money, take care of the kids and house most of the time, and still take care of them in the bedroom whenever they want to. The differences is what are people willing to give up in their lives to make a relationship work?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,037,055 times
I hate to break it to you but if the only way you can get women to be interested in you is to tell them about your $$$....well that means you are very un-attractive or have the personality of a worm.

There are plenty of broke men out there getting a whole lot of women.

So it's you or the type of women you are trying to date. Some men believe that they deserve to be with a very specific type...so they have to pay for that.

Quote:

Last edited by Jasper03; 10-08-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships