Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 02:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,801,361 times

Advertisements

Because I'm more cat like, aloof, quiet, misunderstood, under appreciated and unknown and I hate babying animals, too much like having kids, so I prefer cats vs dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:12 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-AT28 View Post
Because I'm more cat like, aloof, quiet, misunderstood, under appreciated and unknown and I hate babying animals, too much like having kids, so I prefer cats vs dogs.
You sound just like my cat lol--she's hated the dog since day one. We got him when he was 11 weeks old and he's now 2 yrs old.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
I dated a woman recently with dogs. She could not be spontaneous.
Could not go out after work for a beer, had to go home and walk the damn dogs.
Could not spend the night at my house, we always spent the night at her house because of the damn dogs.
Leaving town for the weekend was a pain in the ass and expensive because of the damn dogs.

I would rather have the crazy cat lady.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:33 PM

331 posts, read 1,051,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I dated a woman recently with dogs. She could not be spontaneous.
Could not go out after work for a beer, had to go home and walk the damn dogs.
Could not spend the night at my house, we always spent the night at her house because of the damn dogs.
Leaving town for the weekend was a pain in the ass and expensive because of the damn dogs.

I would rather have the crazy cat lady.
This is exactly why I don't have dogs. I have 2 cats and I think I am more responsible as a cat owner as I know that I do not have time to take care of a dog. I can go away for the weekend, go out after work, come home late or not at all, and I do not have to worry about the cats. They always have food and water and I scoop the litter boxes every other day. I grew up with dogs and I love them but as a 20-something who is social, cats fit much better into my lifestyle and have NOTHING to do with my personality.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:23 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
This is exactly why I don't have dogs. I have 2 cats and I think I am more responsible as a cat owner as I know that I do not have time to take care of a dog. I can go away for the weekend, go out after work, come home late or not at all, and I do not have to worry about the cats. They always have food and water and I scoop the litter boxes every other day. I grew up with dogs and I love them but as a 20-something who is social, cats fit much better into my lifestyle and have NOTHING to do with my personality.

So cats are like furry plants.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:09 PM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
I have a dog (basset hound). For over a year now. I wouldn't recommend any pet at all to a single person under 35 or so. Get your life.....not a pet. Although I love my dog to pieces, I regret getting him. It's so much responsibility. A cat would have been better, but those still cost money to maintain. People tried to talk me out of it, and I foolishly took it as a personal challenge. I am stuck with my cute, decently-behaved, but burdensome dog for the next 10 years minimum if all goes well.

Dogs are so expensive, especially if you live in an apartment in a highly populated area: vet visits, immunizations, dog park memberships, flea and tick preventive, heartworm preventive, food, toys/entertainment, treats, crates, cleaning (your home and your car), grooming fees, pet deposits, boarding, dog daycare, dog walker, etc.

You also spend most of your time away from home thinking about when you're going to get back to let the dog out or is the dog hungry or is the dog mentally stimulated enough when you're away from home? You can't go out of town without paying a ransom. Sometimes you can't even go out for a dang drink after work because, oh no, has the dog been home alone too long? How long can he hold his pee? Oh lord....I used to be one of those people who poopooed the "my dog is like my child" people....but I, at 31, must reluctantly admit: it's true. I thought I could handle it because I grew up with dogs as pets on a farm. It's not the same. Farm pets are independent, do their business outside...they're just not as needy as these city dogs!

If you must get a pet, get something like a couple of fish. Or better yet, a plant.

Get your life! Not a pet!

I will say that one perk of having a pet as a young adult is dogs attract guys like moths to a flame. Especially the floppy-eared basset hounds. Big dogs also tend to attract more guys.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
So this saying that dog owners are relationship material....I think there could be some truth to that. I learned a lot about myself by having a dog for the last year and a half. Definitely glad I don't have a kid and don't want one any time soon. Definitely learn the meaning of commitment. Definitely learn to compromise and sacrifice.

I'm not sure about the cat part. I've seen some crazy cat gentlemen and crazy cat ladies both. One reason I did not want a cat because I was afraid I would become the latter to be honest. But I see plenty of women with cats who end up in relationships. I think cat owners earn different relationship lessons from their cats....cat people probably learn the importance of giving and respecting the space of another.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt5951 View Post
I was in the "love dogs, cats are ok" camp until I found a one week old kitten abandoned in my yard about a year ago. Rather than have him die out there or give him to a shelter to be put down, I decided to tough it out and raise him (this meant manually getting him to pee/poop, bottle feed, etc), then possibly put him out for adoption when he was old enough. I grew a bond with the little bastard and now I wouldn't get rid of him, and think much differently about cats. I live alone and would love a dog too, but I'm just not around enough, so for now the cat will do.

Also, he doesn't stink up the house one bit. My friends with dogs have much nastier smelling houses, so it really is about the owner and not the animals.
Yeah, the problem is most Humans are willing to raise many non-Humans, but it seems most Humans also seem to "forget" the most basic of all biological functions: every thing grows up.~

There's no excuse for it, every creature will naturally become an adult and to intentionally treat them as "children", never teaching them how to live on their own, you are purposely setting them up to fail, and there is nothing more cruel or sicking than that: a selfish horrible parent who twists love and uses it as a weapon until it is no longer love, just possessiveness.~

Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I would never date a girl who hates my cat. So in my world (the only one that matters), dog people are un dateable.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
OK, I know this is not an issue in the real world . But what is the stereotype, from your point of view?
No issues, therefore, no stereotype for me at least.

I have too many dogs, fish, and a bird.

I get along with most animal lovers. Dog or cat, doesn't matter to me.

=)

They are all lovely

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships