Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,791,449 times

Advertisements

Possibly, considering that I suppose that it might be possible for individuals' sexuality (or their "observed" sexuality in terms of their urges, who they are sexually attracted to, et cetera) to dramatically change like this in extremely rare cases which do not have anything to do with these anti-gay groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
I think sexuality is fluid. That is all.

Most people tend to gravitate towards one "preference", whether that be gay or straight, but I think everyone can be fluid. I think experimenting is perfectly normal or event thinking about the opposite sex romantically or sexually.

As Honey Boo Boo says, we're all a little gay.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,420,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful Bob View Post
That's really an idiotic statement, I'll just assume you intended it to be that way, and sincerely hope that you aren't attempting to showcase your ignorance.

The primary factor in homo. vs hetero. is that heterosexuals truly are "BORN THAT WAY" - heterosexuality is the design nature intended , it's the Norm , It's essential for continuation of the species and heteros. represent somewhere around 90 - 95% of the population.

Homosexuals on the other hand were not "BORN THAT WAY", some early childhood factor or trauma caused their mental disorder. The sexual activity {Or sodomy as the case may be} is self serving and is not essential for continuation of the species- it's merely a way of getting their rocks off. Homos. represent somewhere around 3 to 6 % of the population.

See: Is Homosexuality a Disease
So you're saying that you never masturbate? After all, that's not what nature intended is it?

YOU consider homosexuality a 'mental disorder' ??? Perhaps you are more knowledgeable than Freud, who did not:

Homosexuality and Mental Health

Perhaps you can furnish us with your obviously incredible credentials. We'll wait.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Interesting post history, Bashful Bob. For someone who is so "against" gays, you sure do spend a lot of time talking about gay people.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:16 AM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
Ahahaha ex-gay?? Sounds to me like gay dudes that have been heavily influenced by religion to be "scared straight". I mean they may get married, but you know what they gonna be doing after work. People just need to be happy in their own skin! Trying to convert someone straight is a slap in the face to individuality. Same as trying to convert a meat eater to a vegetarian or a man into a woman, you are who you are!

Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashful Bob View Post
That's really an idiotic statement, I'll just assume you intended it to be that way, and sincerely hope that you aren't attempting to showcase your ignorance.

The primary factor in homo. vs hetero. is that heterosexuals truly are "BORN THAT WAY" - heterosexuality is the design nature intended , it's the Norm , It's essential for continuation of the species and heteros. represent somewhere around 90 - 95% of the population.

Homosexuals on the other hand were not "BORN THAT WAY", some early childhood factor or trauma caused their mental disorder. The sexual activity {Or sodomy as the case may be} is self serving and is not essential for continuation of the species- it's merely a way of getting their rocks off. Homos. represent somewhere around 3 to 6 % of the population.

See: Is Homosexuality a Disease
This has got to be one of the most misinformed posts I have ever read. Question Bob: Do you have any gay family or friends? Do you argue this with them? You are homophobic. Look it up. You are SCARED of homosexuals. They are people just like everyone else.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
According to this article,

"while the movement promises "change" and "healing" on the surface, its leaders
readily admit that these changes are external and behavioral only
."

"From the footnote: [According to ex-gay leader Bob Davies] Ex-gay men may find that
this common pattern [that men are sexually stimulated by what they see] is untrue for
their marital relationship. Even if the ex-gay man continues to be vulnerable to
sexual stimulation toward other men through sight, he may find that the
principle turn-on in marriage is touch. . . . He may never have the same level
of raw sensuality in looking at his fiancée/wife that he had with stimulation
toward other men . . ."

http://www.othersheepexecsite.com/Ex...d_A_Paper.html

well, although generalization sometimes can be bad, I think it is pretty safe to assume that "there is no such a thing as ex gay."

What do you think?
My guess is that it's possible but probably not common, partly because of social beliefs. I think both conservatives and liberals lack flexibility on this issue.

I think people put too much emphasis on attraction instead of behavior. If a man is married to a woman, feels attraction for her but also feels attracted to men but never cheats on her, how is that different than a man who is attracted to other women but still remains faithful to his wife? Wouldn't a straight male also be more turned on by a woman he rarily has sex with than to a woman he has been sleeping for years? How are we measuring sexual attraction? Is the degree of stimulation that important to live a happy life?

I think homosexuality is a very emotionally charged issue and everybody loves to talk about it as if they were experts ansd could read into the future. "You are born that way, you will never be happy and you will cheat on your wife". Really? Who are you to tell others how they feel and how they will behave?

Can we really predict all behavior? A guy who is not effeminate (which is pretty common these days) can spend years having sex with other males(or both males and females) then get married to a woman and not cheat on her because he is committed to that relationship. Just because he is attracted to men it doesn't mean he has control issues. If no one knows his past sexual history and he and his wife are happy then is it really important that he feels attraction for his own sex?

Old 12-12-2013, 11:22 AM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I think sexuality is fluid. That is all.

Most people tend to gravitate towards one "preference", whether that be gay or straight, but I think everyone can be fluid. I think experimenting is perfectly normal or event thinking about the opposite sex romantically or sexually.

As Honey Boo Boo says, we're all a little gay.

I think the hardest for me to comprehend is the people that declare themselves to be Gay then Straight and possibly back again depending on who there are in a relationship with. It's mostly women for what ever reason. My cousin, a family friend, Ann Hesche, the woman from sex in the city all come to mind. It just doesn't seem intuitive to base your sexuality on who you are in a relationship with at that time. Besides, it really flies in the face of all of the 'Born that way' supporters and all the scientific facts that were pushed from the 90s into the mid 2000s. I'm fine with it, but it is confusing.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-12-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM

723 posts, read 633,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I think the hardest for me to comprehend is the people that declare themselves to be Gay then Straight and possibly back again depending on who there are in a relationship with. It's mostly women for what ever reason. My cousin, a family friend, Ann Hesche, the woman from sex in the city all come to mind. It just doesn't seem intuitive to base your sexuality on who you are in a relationship with at that time. Besides, it really flies in the face of all of the 'Born that way' supporters and all the scientific facts that were pushed from the 90s into the mid 2000s. I'm fine with it, but it is confusing.
Female sexuality tends to be more fluid in general. It's actually so complicated that in one study, women displayed genital arousal while being shown videos of straight couples, gay couples, lesbian couples AND bonobo monkeys. The men in the study only responded to videos that included their preferred gender (gay men liked videos that included men, straight or gay; straight men liked videos that included women, straight or gay), but women responded to all of the above.

Arousing questions about female sexuality - Queen's Journal

That said, I do agree that defining your sexual orientation by whomever you're with is counterproductive, but it doesn't negate that sexual orientation is inborn and cannot be deliberately changed.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:12 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
Female sexuality tends to be more fluid in general. It's actually so complicated that in one study, women displayed genital arousal while being shown videos of straight couples, gay couples, lesbian couples AND bonobo monkeys. The men in the study only responded to videos that included their preferred gender (gay men liked videos that included men, straight or gay; straight men liked videos that included women, straight or gay), but women responded to all of the above.

Arousing questions about female sexuality - Queen's Journal

That said, I do agree that defining your sexual orientation by whomever you're with is counterproductive, but it doesn't negate that sexual orientation is inborn and cannot be deliberately changed.
Bonobo monkeys? Arousal? What the eff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships