Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2013, 02:42 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times

Advertisements

Ha Ha!!! had you going there, didn't I?

This isn't a rant about any type of posts on this forum. As always, there are some good posts and some crappy posts.

This is more about my experience. All of us have some kind of insecurities. We all have some kind of hang ups. A lot of us think that our (insert flaws) is what is holding us back. Well, we are right about one thing. It is not our flaws that are holding us back, it is what we think about our flaws... for the most part.

Whenever you get the chance, take a look around and you'll pretty much find all kinds of people in all kinds of situations (single, in relationships). You'll find many different kinds of pairings, fat/skinny, "beautiful"/"ugly".

Now, you'll also find different types of relationships as well. You'll find the abusive unhealthy relationships, but let's look at the healthy(er) relationships.

One thing I have noticed in healthier relationships is that the people are not so caught up in themselves, or whatever it is that they think is a flaw. They accept themselves as they are and are at peace with what makes them unique. As a result, there are no "needy" parties on either side of the relationship. They can also love each other in a better way than if they were so caught up in irrelevant issues.

For those of us (guys) outside of relationships who can't seem to get a girl, just understand that it is (partly) you, but not like you think it is.

I used to be so caught up in my flaws that I was practically self absorbed. As a result, I've missed many opportunities. Then I have realized that I am in an area that is fairly diverse and there are people that value me for who I am. I've learned to give some people my time and even share some of my life with them. I was overwhelmed with the appreciation that I get from them. Now, I'm surrounded by different types of people, including good looking women (they are all potentially good looking as far as I'm concerned, but some of them are really close to their full potential if you know what I mean).

The key is to be genuine and not expect anything in return. People appreciate that. If they can pick up that you are either stuck on whatever flaw (even I couldn't see that I was self absorbed when I was, I am pretty sure that I still am at least in some way), or seeking to get something from them (even if they are the same way) then they are not going to be particularly positive about you, even if they may show pleasure in their interaction with you.

When you talk to anyone, have a genuine interest in them. You don't have to worry about outcome, unless you happen to come across someone with major issues. But there are ways to figure out who is messed up (in general). Don't worry about rejection. People get rejected for all kinds of reasons.

Like I always say, there are exceptions. Plus, there are also things you have to look out for in others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM

115 posts, read 151,524 times
Never gonna give never gonna give never gonna give you up.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_311 View Post
Never gonna give never gonna give never gonna give you up.

Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up - YouTube

Old 10-10-2013, 05:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
give a little bit,,,give a little bit of your love to me,,,there's so much that we need to share, so take the time, and show you care..

Old 10-11-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
give a little bit,,,give a little bit of your love to me,,,there's so much that we need to share, so take the time, and show you care..
Which song is that??

Sounds a little familiar, but I can't quite recall.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Good points, TJ. Self-pity does tend to be a form of narcissism.

A good rule to live by: If you want to be interesting, be interested.

Oh, and Matthew, stop projecting. TJ has been here a lot longer than you and is definitely not like you.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Which song is that??

Sounds a little familiar, but I can't quite recall.
Give A Little Bit by Supertramp

Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
I don't get it.

Is there a question to this thread??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships