Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 01:30 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times

Advertisements

To me, 'lying' in a context like this, a discussion of ethics, refers to keeping information from someone that you know they would want, or that is necessary for their informed consent (e.g. the wife did not consent to polygamy), or telling them fake information that you have reason to believe will do similar damage ('No, I am not cheating on you').

Or something like that. This was a first, rough attempt .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
To me, 'lying' in a context like this, a discussion of ethics, refers to keeping information from someone that you know they would want, or that is necessary for their informed consent (e.g. the wife did not consent to polygamy), or telling them fake information that you have reason to believe will do similar damage ('No, I am not cheating on you').

I would go one step further that justifying the lying with the other person's relative happiness is an excuse to permit the offensive behavior in the first place.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:39 PM

896 posts, read 1,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

I can agree with this.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:45 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would go one step further that justifying the lying with the other person's relative happiness is an excuse to permit the offensive behavior in the first place.
For me, that is another consent issue. It's making a choice for them, without their knowledge. Which I think is ok in some circumstances, when you can realistically make the choice they would make for themselves. Loves' examples are like this -- and they are also probably situations where the person making the choice has legal guardianship.

But when the choice the person is making happens to also benefit them, that gets pretty fishy. And sexual infidelity is the classic example. 'She is happier not knowing.' Yeah, right.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
There is a problem defining integrity, I think. I would define it as doing the right thing even when no-one would ever know otherwise. Then the problem becomes deciding what the "right thing" is, and that will differ for most people because of individual ideas as well as social and cultural norms. It is further confused by so-called moral ideas, because some things that society calls (or has called) moral are anything but!

Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi64 View Post
Integrity means doing what you think is right, and respecting the rights of other people. Pretty common sense. Someone who photographed someone nude without their knowledge and put the picture on the Internet, for example, would certainly be lacking in integrity.
That is really interesting. So it seems that you don't think that within the context of a marriage that a person has a right to expect the promise of fidelity to be kept? Nor that they have the right to honesty? Interesting.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:38 PM

52,251 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Honestly, I find this sort of sanctimoniousness irritating. Lying does not equal not having "integrity and ethics." It depends on what the lie is about and the reasons for it. People lie about all sorts of things all the time. That's something that never seems to be acknowledged in these sorts of discussions.
Of course I'm not talking about white lies, aka the "social lubricant", I'm talking about stepping on someone's back to gain something, those kinds of lies....

I certainly didn't "feel" sanctimonious when I was posting it.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Integrity means doing what you think is right, and respecting the rights of other people. Pretty common sense. Someone who photographed someone nude without their knowledge and put the picture on the Internet, for example, would certainly be lacking in integrity.
Wrong. Integrity means being honest, moral and fair. Now I see why you are treading water on this thread, you insist on using a term you clearly don't understand. "Integrity" is a word with a concrete meaning.

Here are definitions from three well-vetted dictionaries:

Integrity - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

integrity: definition of integrity in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

American Heritage Dictionary Entry: integrity

Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM

393 posts, read 466,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Wrong. Integrity means being honest, moral and fair. Now I see why you are treading water on this thread, you insist on using a term you clearly don't understand. "Integrity" is a word with a concrete meaning.

Here are definitions from three well-vetted dictionaries:

Integrity - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

integrity: definition of integrity in Oxford dictionary - American English (US)

American Heritage Dictionary Entry: integrity
You don't seem to understand "difference of opinion"--and what constitutes being "moral" and "fair" is open to a lot of interpretation (I've already discussed my thoughts on "honesty," you just choose not to listen).

You can't just say that someone who does something you morally disagree with is lacking in integrity, it doesn't work that way.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
You don't seem to understand "difference of opinion"--and what constitutes being "moral" and "fair" is open to a lot of interpretation (I've already discussed my thoughts on "honesty," you just choose not to listen).

You can't just say that someone who does something you morally disagree with is lacking in integrity, it doesn't work that way.
So are you admitting that you were wrong about the definition of "integrity"? What is and is not moral is a seperate (and interesting) issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships