Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 09:30 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
21 and social circle is all around 18-24
Well, that explains things. See my post above. Don't take this the wrong way - but you are all still growing up. I think people change the most between the ages of 18 and 25 or 26. You can't really base gender relations on that select age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:33 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How old are you? You do realize that people are generally much more superficial when they are in high school and college than they are later in life - right? When I was a girl - and I mean like 10, 12 years old - I loved the book and the movies of Little Women. But I hated that Jo ended up with the ugly, old professor instead of the dashing, young Laurie. When I got older, I thought the professor was a much more desirable character than Laurie was - and I would have picked him as well. And I know that people on here like to make this out like "women only want the bad boys until their looks are gone and then they want the nice guy to take care of them." But I don't think that's it. Honestly, I just think that younger people don't have the emotional depth that they have when they get older. When you are younger - you judge a book by its cover. When you get older - you want to actually read the book.
What are you joking?

I'm almost 40. I've seen high school, college graduate school, my 20s and 30s, and I have to say people care about looks much more than I ever imagined. At every age level.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:35 PM

924 posts, read 1,643,645 times
Quote:
Well, that explains things. See my post above. Don't take this the wrong way - but you are all still growing up. I think people change the most between the ages of 18 and 25 or 26. You can't really base gender relations on that select age group.
so you're agreeing that it's a lot about looks at that age?

honestly that just leaves a lot of guys jaded by the time they hit their mid-late 20's (self evident by how many frustrated men take to the internet)

I figured you were born in 93 but i guess not lol

Old 10-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
What are you joking?

I'm almost 40. I've seen high school, college graduate school, my 20s and 30s, and I have to say people care about looks much more than I ever imagined. At every age level.
Nope - not joking. But like I said before - if you focus on the negative things that happen around you - you probably miss the positive. Or maybe your social circle is made up of really shallow people. I don't know. All I know is that the majority of the people that I know found people they were compatible with. Some of them are more attractive than others - but the majority of them are all really great people. I don't really know any major a-holes, so I can't say if the women fawn all over them or not because I don't choose to associate with guys like that.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
so you're agreeing that it's a lot about looks at that age?

honestly that just leaves a lot of guys jaded by the time they hit their mid-late 20's (self evident by how many frustrated men take to the internet)

I figured you were born in 93 but i guess not lol
No - I wasn't born in 93. That was just a significant year to me at the time and it stuck. It doesn't mean anything to me anymore but I still use it.

It's about looks at that age for BOTH genders. Overall, people are shallower when they are younger because they haven't had the life experience to make them deeper - if that makes sense. But despite that - I know a lot of guys that weren't that attractive but had amazing personalities - and they never lacked for dates.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:59 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
That is true and something even I need to be reminded of every now and then.

But it has been shocking to me in my life how many 'nice' women have flocked to the feet of good looking jerks. I mean some of these guys were/are serious jerks. I mean if you had asked me when I was 20, I would not have expected those results.

It's easy to let the negative out when somebody posts a thread like this because I've seen a lot of negative. Then, you remind me that not all women are like that. Etc, etc. But even the women who don't chase after the good looking jerks need a certain minimum level of looks.

I think this is where the "nice guy" theory stems from. You get a lot of women "flocking" to be with what are quite honestly scum, which as an aside doesn't say much for a lot of women's decision making skills. Low-life s&*tbags who think nothing of beating, abusing, etc. In response to witnessing this, men watching this wonder WTF, and assume the opposite would or should logically attract women. They swing the pendulum too far to the opposite end (doormat status) and then wail and gnash their teeth that that doesn't work. The complaining comes in comparing themselves to the scumbags.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 PM

543 posts, read 533,982 times
Quote:
Nope - not joking. But like I said before - if you focus on the negative things that happen around you - you probably miss the positive. Or maybe your social circle is made up of really shallow people. I don't know. All I know is that the majority of the people that I know found people they were compatible with. Some of them are more attractive than others - but the majority of them are all really great people. I don't really know any major a-holes, so I can't say if the women fawn all over them or not because I don't choose to associate with guys like that.
I've something of the opposite before. If all you encounter is the negative, how do you know what to focus on as the positive?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
First step is realizing that being a doormat will get them nowhere.

Even arrogance is better.

aha, so maybe i was onto something...earlier i have suggested that while confidence is crucial for a guy to have, unfounded confidence amounts to arrogance.

apparently, it turns out that many women are attracted to, or at least not put off by, arrogance.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
No - I wasn't born in 93. That was just a significant year to me at the time and it stuck. It doesn't mean anything to me anymore but I still use it.

It's about looks at that age for BOTH genders. Overall, people are shallower when they are younger because they haven't had the life experience to make them deeper - if that makes sense. But despite that - I know a lot of guys that weren't that attractive but had amazing personalities - and they never lacked for dates.
I guess I just need to stop being a *****.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
aha, so maybe i was onto something...earlier i have suggested that while confidence is crucial for a guy to have, unfounded confidence amounts to arrogance.

apparently, it turns out that many women are attracted to, or at least not put off by, arrogance.
My cousin is a typical criminal sociopath kind of guy and he always had success with women. He knocked up a 15 YEAR OLD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships