Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:12 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,399 times

Advertisements

You can have a relationship without living together, what is the big deal about him moving back with his family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
Oh please. Go crawl back into the hole you crawled out from.

That poster was actually 100% spot on.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM

156 posts, read 260,445 times
Quote:
We've had to move back in with my dad since I lost my job. It's only been about a week so far, but today he told me that he called his dad earlier and asked if he could move back in with him. When I asked him why he said because he doesn't want to make my dad mad by us staying here for a few months, because the room is cramped and hot, and because he hates the well water.

I asked him if this meant we were breaking up and he said no, we'd still be together. I just don't understand why he'd bother to move 45 minutes away with his dad just because the room is a little cramped. We're only going to be here for a couple of months to save up money.

I know he's not really ready to move out and be on his own, but he has to eventually. He's 21. He hates going without internet, cable, and city water. We had our own place for a little while before I lost my job and he wasn't happy to have to go without internet since we couldn't afford it. I feel like he wants to keep mooching off his father for as long as he can, I just want him to grow up. He's a very sweet guy and has treated me better than any other guy. I feel like if he moves we'll probably end up breaking up.

My feelings were really hurt when he told me this, but I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

Should I try to convince him to stay or just let him go?

maybe he just needs some space? it doesn't mean he wants to break up, but maybe he just wants to put some distance between you and him, like a sort of break.

on another note, I personally would hate to live with someone else's parents. I have enough problems listening to my own parents, even though i love them to death

Old 10-15-2013, 07:41 PM

96 posts, read 206,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
You can have a relationship without living together, what is the big deal about him moving back with his family?

I didn't mention it in the beginning, but him and I are engaged. His dad lives 45 minutes away. He'll have to drive 2 hours to work every day and 2 hours back. He works nights (10 pm - 7 am) and sleeps all day. I'll be starting school soon as well as working. I just don't see us staying as close as we are if I'll hardly ever get to see him. All the time you hear about couples breaking up/divorcing because of distance. It's going to be hard to have any quality time to keep our relationship strong if he's so far away and we're both busy as heck.

We had a talk a little bit ago and decided that he'll move back in with his dad in about a month. I just don't see this ending well for our relationship. He thinks we'll be fine, but I know the strain distance can put on a relationship.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:43 PM

96 posts, read 206,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Yup. Truth hurt.
If you don't have anything useful to add then go troll somewhere else.

You're mistaken if you think I'm going to let some stranger on an internet forum bring me down.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I didn't mention it in the beginning, but him and I are engaged. His dad lives 45 minutes away. He'll have to drive 2 hours to work every day and 2 hours back. He works nights (10 pm - 7 am) and sleeps all day. I'll be starting school soon as well as working. I just don't see us staying as close as we are if I'll hardly ever get to see him. All the time you hear about couples breaking up/divorcing because of distance. It's going to be hard to have any quality time to keep our relationship strong if he's so far away and we're both busy as heck.

We had a talk a little bit ago and decided that he'll move back in with his dad in about a month. I just don't see this ending well for our relationship. He thinks we'll be fine, but I know the strain distance can put on a relationship.
Your desperation is very unbecoming.

And trying to justify it by saying this is all about how "couples break up and divorce because of distance" is really pretty silly.

Let the BOY go back to his dad.

He is not ready to assume the responsibilities of an adult life, no matter how much you want him to.

He's 21 for crying out loud.

There is absolutely no reason he should be living with you in your father's house Has your father lost his mind?

Seriously now - just go to school and concentrate on doing the things you need to do to finish growing up yourself and preparing yourself to live 100% in the adult world.

And let him do the same!

If you continue to try to fit square pegs into round holes you'll find your life is full of splinters.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If you continue to try to fit square pegs into round holes you'll find your life is full of splinters.

I LOVE that line! May have to use it some time...

Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Oh, and if living apart means the relationship doesn't "end well" that's because it was never going to end well anyway.

I know it's hard for you to see that right now, but I'm trying to help you stretch and grow here by telling you the truth.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
If you don't have anything useful to add then go troll somewhere else.

You're mistaken if you think I'm going to let some stranger on an internet forum bring me down.
LOL! Dearie, you're much too young and immature to be engaged. The fact that you saw no value in what I wrote only confirms that.

And no, I'm not mistaken. I saw your prior posts in response to those who said something that you didn't like. Yup, you were brought down.

Now run along and go grow up, mkay?

Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I LOVE that line! May have to use it some time...

You certainly have my permission

More people need to grasp this concept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships