Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
...when that clearly isn't the case?

Sure, some women get physically violent with their male partners. But male violence against women is a far more prevalent and serious a problem than the reverse.
Well I guess I will take this example. The reason people don't assume (vs pretend a word that assumes both that you are right and that other people agree that you are right and willfully ignore it) these kinds of stereotypes is because there is not enough information to support them.

A quick google search can quickly lead one to doubt this claim even without considering the very likelihood that this situation is wildly under reported.

So you say it is clearly the case, but I don't see it. If it were THAT clearly the case, you would think that the information to support it would be readily available.

I just will never see the value in these generalizations. What GOOD does it do to insist that GENERALLY men do this and women do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
U

As for saying that women aren't happy unless they can lie at least a little bit - that's absurd. You have your opinion, I have mine. You think you speak the truth. I think you wouldn't know the truth if it bit you in the... But that's just my opinion. And as I know - you don't think women are capable of rational thought so my opinion doesn't count anyway - right?

Don't be silly. Your a woman, so you're probably lying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Don't be silly. Your a woman, so you're probably lying.
Look, you can think what you want - but as the Queen of England, I'm forbidden to lie. Don't you know who you are dealing with?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:02 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,693,270 times
Because generalizations are a viscous cycle. Make a general statement will offend someone but some else will agree to it followed by another generalization which will offend some but another person agrees. Basically nothing is solved and nothing gained.

It is the fact the people can find evidence and examples proving or disproving a the point at hand so it will fall on the number of posters agreeing with a generalization vs the number that don't which again neither proves or solves anything concrete.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,344,039 times
Quote:
For me, the issue is with people who think that ALL men are violent or ALL women don't like sex - when really, those people are in the minority.
Yeah, also, the people who think all this or all that (plus a bag of chips ) are in the minority from my experience.

Quote:
But you see, I don't think that is what most people intend to say. I don't believe hardly anyone means ALL, ever. That is why I complain that people cannot tell the difference between general statements and categorical ones.

Frankly, I think a lot of people here are just very defensive and always feel like they are being personally attacked. They react by picking apart every minute detail of what somebody said, which either brings the discussion to a halt or sends it flying off on some totally irrelevant tangent.
I kind of agree with that actually

Quote:
Actually, some of them DO mean ALL. I only know because I've asked them to clarify. And even the ones that mean most and not all - well, do you think MOST men are rapists, abusers, or cheaters? I don't. I also don't think MOST women are gold diggers, liars, or frigid. There are some very reasonable people on here. And then there are other that blame the entire opposite sex for their woes in life. It just gets irritating.
It's everything bad, including pathetic. Sometimes you have to sit back and laugh at those losers.

Quote:
Look, you can think what you want - but as the Queen of England, I'm forbidden to lie. Don't you know who you are dealing with?

But if you don't lie...

nevermind, this could be taken wrong...

Old 10-16-2013, 04:20 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
But you see, I don't think that is what most people intend to say. I don't believe hardly anyone means ALL, ever. That is why I complain that people cannot tell the difference between general statements and categorical ones. .
They can't tell the difference because people here tend to post in broad, sweeping generalizations. They say "men do X", "women do Y", instead of "some men/women", or "men in my experience have done X". Haven't you noticed that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships