Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 03:13 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelostsouls View Post
hmmm. cant help but wonder if some of you think this way about me.
Honestly yeah...... I've been back and forth with my thoughts on you if you want the truth.

If you are genuine it really speaks to how unbelievably I think your wife has acted and, at times, how incredulous I've thought some of your reactions have been. Beyond that sometimes your posts give details that are so unnecessary to the story that I've wondered (who cares that you and your wife "went out on the porch and had a smoke"??? What does that have to do with anything???) if you're telling us a story......

Well, we already had the one incident with the one thread which I'm thankful I didn't waste my time in.... I keep posting responses to you so that should tell you that I have faith that you're for real....

I hate that I even have to be skeptical, but after that last "incident" it's made people harder to trust around here. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,529 times
Yes!

Now, I generally don't think "this person is wholly fictitious". I've seen others suspecting this a few times, but I don't really see what they have to gain, and also don't see that there would be harm anyhow (it's not like we are giving SS numbers of sending money or anything). It's like "yeesh, I told this person to move to Dayton and they were really just a high school sophomore" ... I don't think I would really suffer any permanent damage?

That being said, I generally take relationship things at face value too, pretty much. It's like when my friends come to me with a problem - my role is not to say "I need to hear both sides". But I also try not to say anything about the other person since I don't know the other side. My role is usually to provide emotional support to my friend which may take the form of " ... remember you are wonderful - you do so much and you deserve to be appreciated!"

There are things that set me off, usually a little bit moralistic things. I don't know.

Now, that being said, I know that if my "ex" were reading my posts, he could stand here and say "but what about this one time" or "you didn't explain this aspect". It's like when we did separation mediation - there is always a response to every story, and then I had a response to that response. I guess it's just not the role of this forum to determine the ultimate, absolute truth. It is to provide support and to provide thoughts and perspectives to people who are working through situations.

Last edited by goldenmom7500; 11-19-2007 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
Occasionally, I do now, especially after the Big Dawg thing but mostly I believe in what the 'regular posters' post because it seems more real life and that it did or could happen.
I don't like my heart strings pulled on.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,536,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Not to name any names, Main Street, but did one of the posts culminate in this :

Why do you start threads and then not participate in them? Do you work for a magazine? Do you write articles for Woman First, Cosmo?

LOL, ever find out about that?
That's the one!!!! If he his threads aren't research for work, well then he has to be the dullest man.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yup, yup yup..... That's why I kept pointing out threads started by first-time C-D posters in this forum..... Oddly none of them ever came back.....

People don't come to City-data to post in the relationships forum. They may stay because of it, but that's not primarily what this site is for so it makes no sense that their first post would be here.

So yes, I believe we're being played half of the time and it's why I stay out of a lot of threads.....
I used to think that- why post a relationsip question on City-Data? But if you google a particular problem, very often a CD forum post on that issue will pop up. So I figure that this is why some first posts are about a relationship issue.

Another suspicion that I have is that some regular posters make up a second account and post off-the-wall scenarios, just to get things going.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM

20 posts, read 186,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Yup, yup yup..... That's why I kept pointing out threads started by first-time C-D posters in this forum..... Oddly none of them ever came back.....

People don't come to City-data to post in the relationships forum. They may stay because of it, but that's not primarily what this site is for so it makes no sense that their first post would be here.

So yes, I believe we're being played half of the time and it's why I stay out of a lot of threads.....
I'm a newbie who actually came here because of a thread I found in the relationships forum while doing a search and really liked the openness of the conversations... just an FYI... and I am not fictitious that I know of!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuWoman View Post
I'm a newbie who actually came here because of a thread I found in the relationships forum while doing a search and really liked the openness of the conversations... just an FYI... and I am not fictitious that I know of!
Okay, well it's good to get some explaination on how that's happening... I tend to not care so long as the OP in a thread actually returns to the thread to participate........ Otherwise it appears to be a social experiment for a term-paper or something...

Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Another suspicion that I have is that some regular posters make up a second account and post off-the-wall scenarios, just to get things going.
ooo OOOO HIF, you can't do that! at least.. not for more than an hour or so. The senior moderators track all the new member registrations, and compare them to the IP Addies that are already present. This makes having more than one CD member per household extremely challenging, but it keeps out the clone-trolls.

As far as ficticious threads go.. I don't know why I bother interjecting into some topics I stumble accross... if they're trolls or troublemakers, it's almost not worth the effort to publicly blast them, the mods'll get 'em in the end anyways... but sometimes, I just can't help myself. I get so bored at work, and DO love to stick my nose in where it doesn't always belong

As far as ficticious threads for sympathy or whatnot... eh, we had one of those already ya. I don't see it as a waste, I can understand why people would feel insulted, and used.. but guys, think about how many people read these forums, the silent audience, that may be going through something similar to one of these portrayals, that, even if it wasn't real, you were presenting real solutions from the kindess of your heart, that may actually be exactly what someone else needed to hear at that moment to help THEM!

Food for thought. time for more coffee

Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,736,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainStreet View Post
That's the one!!!! If he his threads aren't research for work, well then he has to be the dullest man.
I noticed that, he would just post a question and then never follow up...you would think that if the threads he started meant anything to him personally, there would be at least a "Thanks for all your responses," or something!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Actually, I've never driven anything larger than a Schwinn and have never been out of my neighborhood. Everything I know I learned from other C-D posters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships