Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 04:47 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This.

My neighbor is not a real man. As an example he had to be taught to use a power drill. I have no patience for that kind of man.
What if I have enough money to hire a man that uses a power drill. By doing that, I'm indirectly using the power drill myself. Is that manly enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:20 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,197,331 times
My entire family says I'm a "pomunati" which means "meteosexual". I hate that, and now feel that things would have been better if I was born female . There is zero manliness in me, as most of you probably know.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,713,267 times
The terms "real man" and "real woman" have such crazy stigmas attached to them, so I don't use them. I try to look at everyone as an individual.

I like a guy to have a backbone, but I don't want him to be a Mc*******. I like a guy to be a gentleman but not a complete doormat either. There is a balance between the too. I like guys who are laid back, calm, and relaxed. It serves as a contrast to my anxious and timid nature lol But most importantly I want to be attracted to the guy or all those other things are irrelevant. I don't have a specific type but those are typically the guys I go for the most. I have liked other types.

Things like being able to use a power drill, jack hammer, fix everything in the world; I don't really care because I don't know how to do half of that stuff. Sure it would be helpful if he could but it's not a requirement because I know I have a lot to learn how to do a lot of things myself. My point is, my expectations in that type of thing aren't high at all.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,441,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
What if I have enough money to hire a man that uses a power drill. By doing that, I'm indirectly using the power drill myself. Is that manly enough for you?
LOL, hey don't sweat it. I do have some tools, including a drill and I can do basic repairs but I'm definitely not "Mr. Fix anything". If I need something major done I hire someone. Despite that, I've somehow been able to find women who wanted to date me and be in a relationship.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:25 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,186,834 times
Old thread, but no fighting it.

I like a balance. There's a middle ground between a knuckle-dragger and a doormat wuss.

I like a guy who's is confident. He's not ashamed of who he is, and what he likes. I like him to be strong, more a leader type, isn't a doormat. But then, I would want him to be affectionate, fun-doesn't take himself too seriously.

A guy I have a huge crush on is like this, but he's unattainable.

I mean, I would be happy with an affectionate, more nerdy guy like myself. But you don't need to be a doormat either. My ex friend's boyfriend is like that. He takes no crap from anyone, and is strong-emotionally and physically. But he's also into the same nerdy stuff she is, he's smart, laid-back and fun. So, I know these kinds of men exist. But finding one who isn't taken, and interested is the hard part.

Now as for being a handy-man. That's nice and all, but it's one of the last things I would be concerned with, actually I wouldn't be concerned at all.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
Some women are attracted to a....not sure how to say it, masculinity, a man's man, a "real" MALE...?

And what is that quality which makes someone "masculine"? Is it aggresion? Is it confidence? Is it being brave? Is it being protective and dependable?

Some males are on a soft side. And some women are not attracted to that (or that in them).

There are male and female characteristics in BOTH genders. And if the combination of the female ones is stronger in a male body, he is perceived as softer. If the combination of the male ones is stronger in a female body, she is perceived as more masculine, kind of stronger I guess.

Which one are you attracted to? And what is a masculine male to you? (personality wise)

Some women go as far as saying: if he doesn't slap you around sometimes, he is not a man...

And how do you perceive yourself: as a soft female or a more masculine one/tough one?
I find myself more attracted to bi-fem-masculine traits.

Gender neutral qualities like someone wise, honest, courageous, honorable, intelligent, has integrity.. perhaps a mixture of a bit of femine/masculine traits.. someone that is well rounded and grounded, and not so much of a defined pigeon hole of societal stereotypes?

Old 11-02-2014, 05:50 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
If a guy can't use a hammer and I can, something is wrong.lol!

Old 11-02-2014, 05:56 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This.

My neighbor is not a real man. As an example he had to be taught to use a power drill. I have no patience for that kind of man.
Do you think men are born with the innate ability to operate a drill? I work in construction as an electrician and I would not think any less of a man that did not know how to operate one if he had no exposure to a drill before.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,156,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJuju View Post
Do you think men are born with the innate ability to operate a drill? I work in construction as an electrician and I would not think any less of a man that did not know how to operate one if he had no exposure to a drill before.
My uncle is a mechanic and I heard that his son came out of the womb with a wrench and a voucher card for Home Depot worth 100$.

True story.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:03 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,053 times
I'm a bit of a dichotomy, I suppose. I work in construction as an electrician. I am somewhat muscular and have a decent amount of scars. I only ride a motorcycle. All things that would traditionally be considered masculine, but guess what: I'm a man with gender dysphoria that wishes he were a woman. I would like to do ballet. I would love to be doing theater. I would love to wear make-up. I daydream about myself as a girl all the time while operating heavy machinery or installing heavy bundles of conduit using my "manly" tools. And you would never know it because I certainly never discuss it IRL.

Things just don't file neatly the way some people would like to think they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships