Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Because they've learned from experience that men almost never go out of their way to help or befriend women unless they have a romantic and/or sexual motive. I mean, almost never. If you really are being "just friendly," then you are in a very small minority.

Can't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbornnard View Post
You're obviously hanging around the wrong guys. This one sounds like a mega douche.
I try to hang around only the right guys on the Relationships forum, but it's a mixed bag. Sometimes it is hard to tell you apart.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
One tip the original poster- if this were ever to happen to you in the workplace, go to HR immediately.
Oh, for God's Sake!

Let's all file lawsuits over........NOTHING

3,887 posts, read 5,744,669 times
LOL, you get used to some women having that reaction. there were 4 of us children raised by a single mother, for several years of my childhood, I ended up having to help pay bills at different times in my youth due to the problems faced by a single mother without many opportunities to work better then menial jobs.

As such I will go out of my way to help single mothers, regardless of how well I know them I will help them out with a tank of gas, or buy them lunch, or even pay for their cab rides home from the bar. Just little things that may help make their day easier, which at times drives my wife nuts, but that is my thing and has always been my thing.

Some women take it wrong, sometimes they develop crushes on me, and occasionally I will get one that thinks I am only helping them to get into their pants. Usually I just laugh both instances off, and explain that I am happily married and have no interest in changing that status. But it is sad how some women react to someone just offering a little help.

7,454 posts, read 13,421,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Maybe her reply was inappropriate, but really: Was she that far off the mark? I've been having a few car problems over the past two months. Two different guys volunteered to help me with temporary transportation while my car was in the shop, twice. In the course of their helping me, both have brought up the possibility of us dating and becoming boyfriend and girlfriend...which at least in this society we live in will probably lead to the expectation of sex on the part of the man. TWO. In a row? And yet women would be blasted for generalizing and assuming this is what men want? Actually, I miscounted. it was THREE in a row.

Look, if a woman is standing around in a public place minding her own business and a guy crosses the room, the parking lot, dance floor or whatever to meet a woman, he had some reason for approaching her when he thought to do it. If it was friendship only, he would probably wait until she walked by him, instead of going over to her. Men don't go through all that and put themselves out there just to say "Hi how are ya" so just be real about it! Women assume men want something when they do this.
Most times it is true. The guy wants to get to know you better, in those kinds of situations.
But those are very specific situations.

There are plenty of interactions between males and females, where that is not so much the case. Eg. professional relations, colleague interactions (such as the Op's case), neighbour interactions....and so many more. Not saying the guy completely rules out romantic intentions, wheres the fun in that? But its not his MAIN intention.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:04 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,744,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Maybe her reply was inappropriate, but really: Was she that far off the mark? I've been having a few car problems over the past two months. Two different guys volunteered to help me with temporary transportation while my car was in the shop, twice. In the course of their helping me, both have brought up the possibility of us dating and becoming boyfriend and girlfriend...which at least in this society we live in will probably lead to the expectation of sex on the part of the man. TWO. In a row? And yet women would be blasted for generalizing and assuming this is what men want? Actually, I miscounted. it was THREE in a row.

Look, if a woman is standing around in a public place minding her own business and a guy crosses the room, the parking lot, dance floor or whatever to meet a woman, he had some reason for approaching her when he thought to do it. If it was friendship only, he would probably wait until she walked by him, instead of going over to her. Men don't go through all that and put themselves out there just to say "Hi how are ya" so just be real about it! Women assume men want something when they do this.
I have given women rides home with no want let alone expectation that I would be getting anything from it, hell I have even helped my sons babysitter move, fixed a coworkers car, gotten a few of them jobs, and installed security bars on different women's houses, yes I knew them a little, but the point is that I had no interest in dating any of them.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
Because I am always trying to have sex with women!

However, where a lot of dudes get it wrong is that they feel they are "owed" sex in return for some trivial favor or kindness. I do my push-ups and clean-up because I would like women to want my man-sausage as breakfast in bed.

...but, if they do not, so be it! Bitterness is not an interest-bearing account. Move on.

I look at sex like a promotion at work; who's more likely to get the promotion? the guy who does his job because it's right? or the whiny ******* who complains that he should get promoted for just doing his job?

If I sound bitter, it's not at women, it's at people whining "...oh I'm a nice guy, I buy women Applebee dinners but, they won't have sex with me. WTF is wrong with women". To that I say, "No dude, WTF is wrong with -you-?"

Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM

519 posts, read 1,023,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, for God's Sake!

Let's all file lawsuits over........NOTHING
No no no, you misunderstand my meaning. Defense, not offense. In a social situation, saying "I'm not going to have sex with you" is perfectly acceptable- depending on the circumstances it could also be rude, absurd, and just plain narcissism if it comes in reaction to nothing, but there's no law against being a jerk. And realistically, I'd bet many if not most men going out of their way to be friendly to a woman certainly wouldn't have been violently opposed to the idea.

But if this were to happen in a workplace? Completely different story. If he were to offer help on work matters to a female coworker and get that as a response, that's a massive red flag that spells out trouble and an irrational mind. The only responsible thing to do in that case would be to immediately get your ass over to HR and explain what happened. Have it documented and recorded. Not next week, but right then and there. No one should risk their livelihood and reputation, and when there are allegations of sexualizing coworkers in the office that's exactly what's at stake.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM

322 posts, read 504,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
[/b]

In your opinion, if a woman does the same as the bolded, can a guy assume she wants him sexually ?
I was just about to ask this LOL

Old 10-21-2013, 03:12 PM

322 posts, read 504,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
LOL, you get used to some women having that reaction. there were 4 of us children raised by a single mother, for several years of my childhood, I ended up having to help pay bills at different times in my youth due to the problems faced by a single mother without many opportunities to work better then menial jobs.

As such I will go out of my way to help single mothers, regardless of how well I know them I will help them out with a tank of gas, or buy them lunch, or even pay for their cab rides home from the bar. Just little things that may help make their day easier, which at times drives my wife nuts, but that is my thing and has always been my thing.

Some women take it wrong, sometimes they develop crushes on me, and occasionally I will get one that thinks I am only helping them to get into their pants. Usually I just laugh both instances off, and explain that I am happily married and have no interest in changing that status. But it is sad how some women react to someone just offering a little help.
That's what makes me want to ignore women and not help them unless they're elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships