Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 05:37 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I wouldn't get invested in someone who lives 2000 miles away simply because we got along one weekend and she said I had a nice personality.
This right here!

It was nice for her to give you her number. Even if she is crazy head over heals for you... she is across the country! There is not a lot of future or satisfaction in that.

This leads me to beleive she was being friendly too. That she liked you and would like to stay in touch. Hard to envision a lot of romantic expecations due to the distance however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 06:44 AM

365 posts, read 644,598 times
Women love attention and validation. So yes they give their numbers to guys they aren't interested in. Married women or Women in relationships still give out their numbers. Especially if their relationship is rocky. Nothing beats the Break in case of Emergency guy.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:53 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
This right here!

It was nice for her to give you her number. Even if she is crazy head over heals for you... she is across the country! There is not a lot of future or satisfaction in that.

This leads me to beleive she was being friendly too. That she liked you and would like to stay in touch. Hard to envision a lot of romantic expecations due to the distance however.
I know there are people who have made long distance work, but I imagine those relationships were based on much more than "the one I got along best with out of a group of people one weekend".

IMO you need an extraordinary connection to make long distance work. You also have to be the type that can be in a relationship with someone minus most of the things people in dating relationships have...physical presence, physical contact, time spent doing things together, introducing them to your friends, making new friends as a couple. Phone calls, Skype, email and text are all well and good but are they enough?

I think there is so much more to consider than she provided her phone number and if that "means something". To me, if there was a connection that weekend, you would know it as it happened and not wonder in hindsight if there was something there.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 AM

219 posts, read 566,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I know there are people who have made long distance work, but I imagine those relationships were based on much more than "the one I got along best with out of a group of people one weekend".

IMO you need an extraordinary connection to make long distance work. You also have to be the type that can be in a relationship with someone minus most of the things people in dating relationships have...physical presence, physical contact, time spent doing things together, introducing them to your friends, making new friends as a couple. Phone calls, Skype, email and text are all well and good but are they enough?

I think there is so much more to consider than she provided her phone number and if that "means something". To me, if there was a connection that weekend, you would know it as it happened and not wonder in hindsight if there was something there.
that's a good point, thanks.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:32 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,957,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Did she write her name and number on everyone else's notes, too?
VERY good question. haha.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM

219 posts, read 566,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
VERY good question. haha.
i would be surprised if someone did that, but who knows.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGuy1 View Post
Would you give your number to a guy w/o him asking, unless you were interested?

Basically, I was camping over the weekend, set up by my cousins and their friends. At the end, every participant was given a brown paper bag with their name on it. Over the course of the weekend, other campers would write nice things on slips of paper and put them in people's brown bags.

It wasn't mandatory.

The woman who I got along with best over the weekend, wrote that I had a "Warm, friendly, and open" personality, and said, "thanks for being you!" She ended with her name and number.

Am I reading too much into this? Unfortunately, she's 30 (I'm 24), and she lives 2k miles away.
I can't even tell you the number of times I've gotten a woman's number and she had no interest. Rest assured, it's happened a lot.

Might as well take a swing at her. Why not? At the very least, you might have a cool place to visit.

One of the last times (of the very many times) this has happened, I got a number from a woman who lived in California. When I went there (for something else), I called her to meet up. Of course, she didn't but still, no harm.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 62,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGuy1 View Post
Would you give your number to a guy w/o him asking, unless you were interested?

Basically, I was camping over the weekend, set up by my cousins and their friends. At the end, every participant was given a brown paper bag with their name on it. Over the course of the weekend, other campers would write nice things on slips of paper and put them in people's brown bags.

It wasn't mandatory.

The woman who I got along with best over the weekend, wrote that I had a "Warm, friendly, and open" personality, and said, "thanks for being you!" She ended with her name and number.

Am I reading too much into this? Unfortunately, she's 30 (I'm 24), and she lives 2k miles away.
Yes sometimes just so that I won't hurt anybody ego thats if they ask for it, but in your case I think she really likes you, and women who are her age are usually stra8 to the point although she probably only wants you for sex, I guess its a win win for you

Old 10-23-2013, 12:55 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,398,974 times
Was this Cub Scout camp?

Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
Women love attention and validation. So yes they give their numbers to guys they aren't interested in. Married women or Women in relationships still give out their numbers. Especially if their relationship is rocky. Nothing beats the Break in case of Emergency guy.
As a woman... wow, no, just no. I absolutely don't give out my number or even one of my email addresses if I'm not interested. Attention and validation can be great, sure, but the wrong kind of attention sucks -- i.e., from someone you're not interested in, from someone who doesn't take no for an answer, etc. Giving out your contact info to someone who you're not interested in can be a one-way ticket to having to change your phone number a month later when they won't stop calling/texting/sexting you photographs of their anatomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships