Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

Be happy you found out now before the wedding. I have heard of people who had this happen after marriage.

I'm glad I just have a brother and he is straight as I am. He has no sexual interest towards my boyfriend nor do I towards my sister in law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I love my sister in law to death. But I don't think I can be a muff diver. She is not my type.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:41 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
That's rough...yikes! I'd flip back and forth between being hopelessly sad and extremely furious. You'll get over it, though you'll never forget. If you ever meet your true soul mate, this will only seem like a blip on the radar.

For now, I'd focus on self-improvement, travelling and socializing. Perhaps, go out on the town and meet new people (especially women). You don't have to jump into a relationship....but just find new people to interact with.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,050,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Put down the pipe, hippie. This is a terrible betrayal by brother and fiancee, and sadly, he is stuck with them as "family" forever. Holidays, funerals, weddings... ugh.

If it was me, I would pack up and go somewhere wonderful to begin a new life with new "family" made up of close friends I could trust.
"Fiancé" confused me at first—thought the OP was a woman. I think the OP meant "fiancée."

I normally try to be gender biased, but I can't help but think posters would be harsher against the fiancé and the sister falling for each other than the fiancée and brother falling for each other.

OP you have my sympathies. I can't think of anything that would help you right now. I think it's easy for posters to say "you'll get over it," and "you dodged a bullet," because it's not their situation. In theory they're good advice, but also somewhat hasty, even. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do or if I'd easily "get over it," either. (Though I know I can't afford to let it scar me forever and keep me bitter, because these people will likely move on with their lives no matter what I'd do.) I suppose I would just take time for myself, perhaps even away from "family matters," and it could be a good while before I could move on; but I do hope for your sake you eventually do find the right one and this one would hardly be worthwhile.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:22 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Let them know how you feel, and then never speak to either of them again. They are not to be trusted.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Put down the pipe, hippie. This is a terrible betrayal by brother and fiancee, and sadly, he is stuck with them as "family" forever. Holidays, funerals, weddings... ugh.

If it was me, I would pack up and go somewhere wonderful to begin a new life with new "family" made up of close friends I could trust.
That is an awful betrayal...I could never support another family member in this case...there are boundaries one doesn't cross in families...

Old 10-28-2013, 02:37 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Let them know how you feel, and then never speak to either of them again. They are not to be trusted.
I really don't know what I'd do i I were the OP.
But this post may be how I handle it initially.

If my sibling ruined my engagement, I would probably feel that I could NEVER trust that sibling ever.
Space would be a requirement initially for sure. Problem is, now other family members almost have to either be passive, and not take a side, which hurts you, or they take a side, and someone gets hurt.

The sad truth is, it is best this occurred now, and not after the $50,000 party.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You have to stop seeing this as a loss and start seeing it as a bullet you dodged.

He did not steal her.
SHE went to him.

Yep.

Not for nothing, but if something like that happened in my family, my parents and the rest of the family would not have approved. Why? Because the partner is a flake and a liar. You don't just love someone without having some kind of affair, even if it's not physical. That she would spend enough time with your brother, of all people, to fall in love with him means she has zero integrity, and my family wouldn't want such a person to join the clan regardless of which sibling she chose.

So be grateful that your brother, who is also not to be trusted, got stuck with her. I'll bet she eventually cheats on him, too.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
This sucks big time!! I can't imagine how betrayed you must feel. However, if you're really honest, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Your fiancé had character issues long before this, and has probably exhibited them. You never mentioned the previous relationship with your brother, but I suspect he's been a dirt bag for a while. Personally, I think it's good that the fiancé did what she did when she did when she did it. She saved you a lifetime of misery. Your brother's behavior was despicable. Even if he was attracted to her, he should have considered how his behavior would impact you and restrained himself. Grieve the hurt, but don't let yourself get stuck there. You deserve better, but will only find if if avoid getting stuck in this huge betrayal.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times
If this happened to me I'd pack up and move as far away as possible, and even contemplate on leaving the country, so I could get as far away from this family as possible.

Sorry man. Hope something good comes from this in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships