Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
However, what makes someone attractive to one may not be the same as another. It holds little water for me that my friends do not find my type of guy attractive. Looks are somewhat appointment, however it is only one small part of the equation, and what my friends think of the attractiveness of my mate is even lower on the list of criteria of what I look for in a guy.
That's the sort of thing that comes up all the time when people talk about "attractive" or "unattractive" people dating, getting married, etc. There's no universal standard of attractiveness. For every guy who thinks that Kim Kardashian is hot, there's at least another who thinks she's trashy and her butt's too big. For every woman who can't get enough of Channing Tatum, there are more who think he looks like a dumb jock. It's important that I'm attracted to the guys I date; whether or not my friends (or people in general) agree is beside the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
My first girlfriend wasn't conventionally attractive. We started out as friends, and as I got to know her, she became more and more attractive to me.

I introduced her to a friend of mine who is pretty much a douche, and he told me, "I find NOTHING about her attractive." His gf at the time was quite a very very attractive woman. I found what he said to be very rude, as in person I am actually quite an easy going, carefree, non-arguementative person. I wasn't comparing women, or bragging, or anything. And he kind of came out of no where with the comment.
I didn't even know how to respond. Her and I had been together at that point a while, and I wasn't about to be all "oh, we are just FWB's".
I suppose people will talk like that and like the OP's friends did, but to me it is so beyond rude to judge someone cause they aren't 'hot'. But, we are all judged somehow, and some of us get the short end there, and some get the good looks and genetics.
It is just something some of us have to get over.
But I will say, knowing that people think/talk about myself like the OP's friends talk/think is kinda rough.
And of course, I never told my gf at the time what my friend said, but there is definitely pressure from society to have an attractive partner. I just find it amazing that some people actually say such things, as opposed to just thinking them.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,288 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I guess what it boils down to, is that some people are just plain rude. They don't know how to keep their thoughts to themselves. I don't expect everyone to think a guy I like is attractive but if u don't, fine, u don't have to let me know that. It's shallow and doesn't take into account the other persons feelings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships