U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:12 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,034,672 times
Reputation: 8970

Advertisements

It's never been clear to me how people regard pretty vs cute so I'm consulting the hive. I personally think of pretty as meeting an attractiveness standard of broad consensus or prevailing opinion - to me, a person is pretty if I imagine that most people would agree that person is pretty. (Hmmm, kinda circular and sloppy.) Cute to me is personal and subjective rather than general and collective. In this context a person can be attractive to me, and therefore cute, regardless of whether they are attractive to others (pretty) as well of course as the other way around. I'm sure I've invented my own definitions that are foreign to others, so what an I missing and not getting here? And would you rather be called pretty or cute?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: NY
9,070 posts, read 15,024,002 times
Reputation: 11498
Not that I am an expert on this, but to me "cute" is used in a context to convey something looks good in an "innocent" way, and "pretty" in a context of a more neutral way in general. That said, I think there can be a lot of equal meaning and overlap of the terms.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:23 PM
 
3,592 posts, read 4,726,061 times
Reputation: 4736
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's never been clear to me how people regard pretty vs cute so I'm consulting the hive. I personally think of pretty as meeting an attractiveness standard of broad consensus or prevailing opinion - to me, a person is pretty if I imagine that most people would agree that person is pretty. (Hmmm, kinda circular and sloppy.) Cute to me is personal and subjective rather than general and collective. In this context a person can be attractive to me, and therefore cute, regardless of whether they are attractive to others (pretty) as well of course as the other way around. I'm sure I've invented my own definitions that are foreign to others, so what an I missing and not getting here? And would you rather be called pretty or cute?
Pretty = AlluringCute = AppealingResponses:Pretty: "I find you very attractive and would you like to go out with me?"Cute: "I find you attractive in a vague kind of way, not as attractiveas the girl I find to be "pretty" Prettier than plain but not as pretty as "pretty" It might be a nice compliment to receive about an item of clothing being worn, (a sweater, maybe?) but I think is less flattering when applied to a woman's looks.Cute: (ALSO SEE: Nice)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM
 
811 posts, read 1,038,799 times
Reputation: 1432
Depends on the usage.

My girlfriend's pretty.

I used to date this cute girl once.

That cougar's hot, though she's starting to wrinkle.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
7,221 posts, read 4,644,337 times
Reputation: 9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Not that I am an expert on this, but to me "cute" is used in a context to convey something looks good in an "innocent" way, and "pretty" in a context of a more neutral way in general. That said, I think there can be a lot of equal meaning and overlap of the terms.
This.

"Cute" to me is a term most used or associated with youth and innocence. I would not use such term to describe the attractiveness of an adult woman. I think of "pretty" in a similar way, though maybe to refer to one in their teens.

The term "pretty" may be used in a way that implies one's attractiveness may be deemed what is believed to be universally attractive. Similarly, the same can be said for "beautiful" and "gorgeous" that has a lot to do with what is universally seen as superior attractiveness (e.g., the Golden Ratio).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM
 
Location: The point of no return, er, NorCal
7,221 posts, read 4,644,337 times
Reputation: 9283
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Pretty = AlluringCute = AppealingResponses:Pretty: "I find you very attractive and would you like to go out with me?"Cute: "I find you attractive in a vague kind of way, not as attractiveas the girl I find to be "pretty" Prettier than plain but not as pretty as "pretty" It might be a nice compliment to receive about an item of clothing being worn, (a sweater, maybe?) but I think is less flattering when applied to a woman's looks.Cute: (ALSO SEE: Nice)
Yeah, that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM
 
12,319 posts, read 13,561,032 times
Reputation: 14291
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's never been clear to me how people regard pretty vs cute so I'm consulting the hive. I personally think of pretty as meeting an attractiveness standard of broad consensus or prevailing opinion - to me, a person is pretty if I imagine that most people would agree that person is pretty. (Hmmm, kinda circular and sloppy.) Cute to me is personal and subjective rather than general and collective. In this context a person can be attractive to me, and therefore cute, regardless of whether they are attractive to others (pretty) as well of course as the other way around. I'm sure I've invented my own definitions that are foreign to others, so what an I missing and not getting here? And would you rather be called pretty or cute?
WTH!!! ???

Holy smokes these threads get harder and harder to comprehend.

Ok- Cute is like a rounder face maybe some dimples, freckles and such.

Pretty- Has nice lips and eyes. When highlighted with makeup and hair watch out!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM
 
1,961 posts, read 3,757,354 times
Reputation: 2762
Cute: For me is a general term, someone looks sweet, innocent, etc (think kittens, puppy dogs, babies), not really something related to the persons attractiveness.

Pretty: Another general term, but for me this descriptor has more to do with their relative attractiveness.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 02:06 PM
 
9,086 posts, read 1,230,760 times
Reputation: 7947
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
WTH!!! ???

Holy smokes these threads get harder and harder to comprehend.

Ok- Cute is like a rounder face maybe some dimples, freckles and such.

Pretty- Has nice lips and eyes. When highlighted with makeup and hair watch out!!!
Arg...freckles are cute? No wonder I hate my freckles. I think they should abolish that word (cute), then that would alleviate the problem.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM
 
2,761 posts, read 4,138,695 times
Reputation: 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's never been clear to me how people regard pretty vs cute so I'm consulting the hive. I personally think of pretty as meeting an attractiveness standard of broad consensus or prevailing opinion - to me, a person is pretty if I imagine that most people would agree that person is pretty. (Hmmm, kinda circular and sloppy.) Cute to me is personal and subjective rather than general and collective. In this context a person can be attractive to me, and therefore cute, regardless of whether they are attractive to others (pretty) as well of course as the other way around. I'm sure I've invented my own definitions that are foreign to others, so what an I missing and not getting here? And would you rather be called pretty or cute?
Personality.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top