U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 11:02 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,145,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Most 20-somethings go out during the week. In cities, anyway.

I sure did. Wish I had that energy still, and also had the metabolism I had then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM

643 posts, read 747,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
I know this a common question, but I've never heard a good answer.

In post-college life, you spend the majority of your waking hours at work. It's assumed you won't meet a mate there because (1) work relationships are a no-no and (2), as a recent college grad, your coworkers are unlikely to be near your age range, unless you're at some young, hip company like Google. So that means that more than 1/2 of your waking hours are not helping you find a mate.

Now, what about the other 1/2 of your time?

You're probably not going to meet anyone Monday-Friday after work. Most people are burned out from a 9-5 workday and just want to use their remaining energy to finish a workout at the gym and then cook themselves a meal before relaxing at their apartment. The only public places you'll be are the gym, maybe the bus and the grocery store as well. Problem is that, according to women, they don't want a random guy talking to them in public places. So I assume that Monday-Friday are times that you're not going to find a mate.

That leaves only the weekends as possibilities. Still, where the Hell do you meet women? I guess the only place where it is appropriate to talk to random women is the bars.

I see why so many people resort to online dating. No way I'm doing that, though. Online dating is basically a catalogue for women to pick out guys 6'0"+ and $100k/yr+. I would have no luck at all.
1. Bars
2. Farmers markets
3. The coffee shop you go during your break at work
4. art galleries, concerts, random events
5. Local young professional society
6. Grocery Store
100000. ONline dating - dont do it

The options are limitless really. I met my girlfriend this January at a bar. Shes awesome. But before that I met girls at all of the above place. You really just got to put yourself out there and not be afraid to go out in public alone from time to time. Yes keep workout out and cooking for yourself but theres also lots of other cool things to do (I guess this also depends where you at though).

Old 10-30-2013, 11:23 AM

3,795 posts, read 3,859,840 times
I'm 40 with a fairly demanding job and still go out on weeknights sometimes. I'd go crazy if I just went to work and back home every day with nothing else.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:45 AM

862 posts, read 1,153,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Gym is another one. Met a lot of ladies there, and I'm 5'8.
Sometimes, but not always.

I don't doubt that the gym is a good place to meet quality women because of the nature of the environment. When I go to the gym, I go to workout, put the sweat on and get my body in shape, not to pick up women. If a lady so happens to ask me a workout/exercise question and I get a positive vibe from her, I might follow up with her after my workout.

I would lean more towards the supermarkets, flea markets, department stores, sidewalk sales, coffee shops.

Bars and clubs are the usual faire but you might not get the response you want in a setting where everyone is looking for hook-ups.

Concerts, sporting events and festivals are decent places to meet people as well. Think of those wine and cheese tasting events. They are usually packed with quality women and you get to drink too!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

457 posts, read 483,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Gym is another one. Met a lot of ladies there, and I'm 5'8.
Must have been attractive, because if not, you'd have been scared away.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 PM

696 posts, read 688,066 times
Supermarkets and Costco have been good to me!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,383,239 times
At high end dance clubs while wearing a tailcoat tuxedo. Less talk, more action.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM

7,895 posts, read 5,024,944 times
The OP asks a penetrating question. Here's my best effort at a sincere anti-answer. That is, what NOT to do:

1. Graduate from a fine university (or graduate school) and accept a lucrative and stimulating job, in a dead-end town.
2. Move to said town, forsaking your college social network.
3. Decide that said town is too boisterous and active. Buy house in the countryside well outside of town. Move there.
4. Work 50-70 hours/week.
5. Attend a gym daily, where nearly everyone is married.
6. Save money by never going to coffee shops or concerts.
7. Shop at establishments such as "Family Dollar", or when splurging, go to Walmart.
8. Spend free-time either reading books, or vegetating online.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM

16,797 posts, read 14,527,370 times
There used to be a huge apartment complex in Dallas called The Village, with thousands of units, filled with young singles. There were always parties by the pools, in the clubhouses and lots of activity in the nearby bars and clubs 7 nights a week. People moved there to hook up non-stop.

I know parts of Arlington Va and DC are the same today. I cite these places from personal experience, but don't these communities exist in almost every decent sized town or city?

Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM

816 posts, read 1,677,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
Sometimes, but not always.
True. Meeting women at the gym is probably the hardest place to meet when they're trying to workout. It usually works when you have a guy friend who has a hot friend who is a girl, easy icebreaker.

Quote:
I don't doubt that the gym is a good place to meet quality women because of the nature of the environment. When I go to the gym, I go to workout, put the sweat on and get my body in shape, not to pick up women. If a lady so happens to ask me a workout/exercise question and I get a positive vibe from her, I might follow up with her after my workout.
I dated one girl whom I met at a gym. She's a hardcore gym freak, I broke the ice by asking her to spot me for shoulder press. You can figure it out the rest, it's not that hard.

If you look like one of those people who workout all the time then it's not that hard and look like you're friends with a lot of people in the gym then it's not hard to meet women there. Women see that as confidence.

Quote:
I would lean more towards the supermarkets, flea markets, department stores, sidewalk sales, coffee shops.
^This. Got to figure out how to break the ice, that's all.

Quote:
Bars and clubs are the usual faire but you might not get the response you want in a setting where everyone is looking for hook-ups.

Concerts, sporting events and festivals are decent places to meet people as well. Think of those wine and cheese tasting events. They are usually packed with quality women and you get to drink too!
I never recommend bars if you're looking for a relationship. That's just me.

Last edited by An0nym0us88; 10-30-2013 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships