Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
A girl I dated in my early twenties lived in a high rise apartment complex in downtown Chicago, right in the financial district. It had several bars and restaurants on the lower floors, as well as a fitness center and a bowling alley. I think her 40th floor studio apartment was around $1800/month, though, so I am not sure if this is an option for everyone.

Don't overlook happy hours as a place to meet women. The setting might be at a bar but the dynamics are completely different. Plus, the drinks are cheaper. It seems that women will enthusiastically shake my hand, ask for my card, give me their number, and make plans to meet up at 5:00 on a Friday, while the same women would look at me suspiciously at midnight in the same bar. An added benefit of meeting women at happy hour is that you still keep your evenings open for dates.
You know the drill ! They always look better at closing time......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
There are a couple upscale condo towers here that have nightclubs and bars on the bottom floor of the buildings. It's not actually part of the tower though. It has it's own separate entrance and isn't an included amenity (think leased/purchased space). Other than that, I got nothin'.

The Ritz Carlton apartments and condos here in Boston have one on the ground floor you can enter through the lobby, but you have to be seriously loaded to afford one. I can't imagine a bar in an apartment complex outside of a very high end place.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:07 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Around here there are gated community-type apartment complexes (not urban apartment buildings) that do have their own poolhouses/community centers with bars inside where the single people hang out. I knew a few people who lived in complexes like that before they bought houses.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:09 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
A girl I dated in my early twenties lived in a high rise apartment complex in downtown Chicago, right in the financial district. It had several bars and restaurants on the lower floors, as well as a fitness center and a bowling alley. I think her 40th floor studio apartment was around $1800/month, though, so I am not sure if this is an option for everyone.
I know the building you're talking about. It's in my neighborhood. The bowling alley, restaurants, and bars are open to the public and just happen to be in the same building that also contains apartments. They're totally separate. That's what I was getting at with buildings having apartments on top and storefronts below, and of course this building is quite unique. (I can only think of two bowling alleys in all of downtown.)

The poster I was responding to seemed to be talking about apartment complexes (excuse me, "singles apartment complexes", whatever the hell those are) having their own private bars. I'm sure that exists somewhere, but is not the norm. Nobody I know just hangs out in their own apartment building or complex and socializes there. People go to the bars they like, not just the one that happens to be in their building.

Last edited by nearnorth; 11-01-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The Ritz Carlton apartments and condos here in Boston have one on the ground floor you can enter through the lobby, but you have to be seriously loaded to afford one. I can't imagine a bar in an apartment complex outside of a very high end place.
Looks like everyone on this thread is thinking about " in the Loop" , downtown , uptown , basically high rise buildings. Take any major city and go to the burbs, you WILL find "a " singles Complex" or two. Futher , many under 30 singles can not afford to live in the city where they may work or not. Retread my post , " the trail that leads to the bar everyone hangs out that lives in one or more complex.

I am sure it would not take long to find a complex around any big city, even smaller places. Just ask that married / family guy at work who lives in the burbs where the best singles living places...he will know , may not approve , but will know where they are.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Take any major city and go to the burbs.
Living in the burbs as a single person looking to meet people? I'd recommend gouging out your intestines with a rusty spoon before I'd suggest that to anyone. (Kidding....kind of...)

Been there, done that. Even in the suburban apartment complexes I've lived in and/or known about, though, the residents were just like any other segment of the population, meaning some were single, some were in relationships, some had spouses or other live-in partners, and some even had full-blown families. In fact, a much lower percentage of people I met in the burbs were single than in the city. I've not heard of these "singles apartment complexes."

Old 11-01-2013, 08:27 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Living in the burbs as a single person looking to meet people? I'd recommend gouging out your intestines with a rusty spoon before I'd suggest that to anyone.

I know a fair amount. They come into the city to socialize. No reason to hang out at an Applebees bar or some other rot.

Also, suburbs with apartment complexes? The suburbs I know have houses, not complexes. Except elderly places and perhaps some low income sites.

That very well might be a regional thing though.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I know a fair amount. They come into the city to socialize. No reason to hang out at an Applebees bar or some other rot.
Yeah, I used to be one of those, and I know some of them now. They definitely try to get out of their little apartment complex/burb and into the city when they're trying to meet people-- nearly every weekend, and some week nights.

Quote:
Also, suburbs with apartment complexes? The suburbs I know have houses, not complexes.
Most have a combination of the two. Not everyone can afford to live in a house, and not everyone even wants to, especially if they're a single person. Even the more affluent suburbs around here have apartment-living options.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You know the drill ! They always look better at closing time......
Until they turn the lights on and people are soaked in sweat from dancing shoulder to shoulder the last 3 hrs haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I know the building you're talking about. It's in my neighborhood. The bowling alley, restaurants, and bars are open to the public and just happen to be in the same building that also contains apartments. They're totally separate. That's what I was getting at with buildings having apartments on top and storefronts below, and of course this building is quite unique. (I can only think of two bowling alleys in all of downtown.)

The poster I was responding to seemed to be talking about apartment complexes (excuse me, "singles apartment complexes", whatever the hell those are) having their own private bars. I'm sure that exists somewhere, but is not the norm. Nobody I know just hangs out in their own apartment building or complex and socializes there. People go to the bars they like, not just the one that happens to be in their building.
You need a lesson , there IS life outside the inter City. Ya I know it's a pain taking the train , but living in the city is not for everyone. I have a niece that's only two blocks from the lake , her first apt.out of school, and she loves it, Infact, at 25 now she is looking for a condo ( daddy's got the coin) , so the city and this working girl is serious about it.

So , case in point , the burbs , ever hear of Four Lakes Village in Lisle? It's been a long while now , but that place was heaven on earth for this single guy in his early 30s with more than change in his wallet. It was hard to keep my date schedule on track , often over booked ...sad, some nights / week ends it was more than I could handle! And yes they had their own pub where meeting your neibors just seemed natural. I have been told its still there, what a fantastic 300 acres of lakes, ski slope , pub , Huge Coed Vollyball league too. I had my own team along with being into the theater / improv thing. Always busy ,so much to do. FLV was premier, but there are others ,much newer I am sure all around west side, north side, even the south burbs...I was told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships