U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
 
6,758 posts, read 8,271,283 times
Reputation: 6787

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Huh? Totally opposite for me. I have so little freaking time in my relationship...it's my main issue with even being in a relationship. But then, I'm a rather independent sort.

Well for me, in order of decreasing free time, it goes:

single and no interest in dating > in a longterm relationship > dating

Is it that way for other people, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM
 
17,868 posts, read 17,698,835 times
Reputation: 13794
I'e never been married, so this isn't something i can answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:39 PM
 
25,820 posts, read 32,804,078 times
Reputation: 31748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Well for me, in order of decreasing free time, it goes:

single and no interest in dating > in a longterm relationship > dating

Is it that way for other people, too?

Not being in a relationship is about as freeing as it gets. I don't have to worry about what time I need to be home, (or at his house), what I want to do on the weekend - I can work in the yard all day long or take off and go on a trip all by myself. It's totally up to me. I don't have to cook dinner. Geeez. It just goes on and on.

Not saying I'm not glad I am with him, but "freeing" it ain't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Katonah, NY
21,199 posts, read 20,909,452 times
Reputation: 22129
I've never thought about relationships in terms of freedom - either more or less. I guess if I felt trapped or like I didn't have any freedom to be happy - I wouldn't be in that particular relationship. I don't really feel more or less free in my relationship - except I guess I sort of feel more free to just be who I truly am since my husband loves me for who I truly am - so I can't be that bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM
 
6,758 posts, read 8,271,283 times
Reputation: 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not being in a relationship is about as freeing as it gets. I don't have to worry about what time I need to be home, (or at his house), what I want to do on the weekend - I can work in the yard all day long or take off and go on a trip all by myself. It's totally up to me. I don't have to cook dinner. Geeez. It just goes on and on.

Not saying I'm not glad I am with him, but "freeing" it ain't!
Did you miss my point? It wasn't about not being in a relationship.

It was about being in the early stages of a relationship, before the marriage the OP asks about, when you are dating one or more people. And comparing that to marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:54 PM
 
6,758 posts, read 8,271,283 times
Reputation: 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I've never thought about relationships in terms of freedom - either more or less. I guess if I felt trapped or like I didn't have any freedom to be happy - I wouldn't be in that particular relationship.

Yeah, really!


Quote:
I don't really feel more or less free in my relationship - except I guess I sort of feel more free to just be who I truly am since my husband loves me for who I truly am - so I can't be that bad!
Yay .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM
 
3,558 posts, read 4,345,049 times
Reputation: 3746
The only freedom I've lost in my relationship is the freedom to be promiscuous.

My gf and I are both so insanely easy going and like doing the same things its a breeze. We've lived together a year and a half and I don't think we've ever argued about what we wanted to do. She wants to go to the gym, I'm more than happy too. I feel like going mountain biking, she loves to. One of us feels like going to the mall, the store, you name it.

We've never argued about what movie to go see, what to go eat, etc.

Not saying we get along perfect but the relationship is super easy as I feel they should be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,628 posts, read 44,081,698 times
Reputation: 24962
My brother is so whipped that I'm really thinking marriage might not be so grand. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 09:10 PM
 
6,758 posts, read 8,271,283 times
Reputation: 6787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
My brother is so whipped that I'm really thinking marriage might not be so grand. Lol
Is he that way in his non-romantic relationships, too -- with his family, at work, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Pa
42,628 posts, read 44,081,698 times
Reputation: 24962
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Is he that way in his non-romantic relationships, too -- with his family, at work, etc.?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top