Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmcandrew View Post
My ex dumped me months ago now and we weren't together very long, but I fell DEEP in love with him and was very vulnerable in the situation. He was never properly committed to me and was a pretty crap boyfriend when it came down to it but I just cannot seem to forget about him. I have good days and then go completely backwards and feel like I'll never get over him. To make it worse, I have been on some terrible dates recently and just cry afterwards because I miss my ex - I'm so lonely and don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Every time you think of him, remember this:

"He was never properly committed to me and was a pretty crap boyfriend when it came down to it."

[repeat as necessary]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 04:22 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Every time you think of him, remember this:

"He was never properly committed to me and was a pretty crap boyfriend when it came down to it."

[repeat as necessary]

Also do not date the same kind of guy or you be back on the CD forums saying the same thing over and over. Sorry lady's I am not buying I had no idea he was a jerk line. I know you woman are smarter then that and I like to think they can read and smell a guys BS.

Remember if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it a duck.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:51 PM

706 posts, read 1,205,311 times
Quote:
My ex dumped me months ago now and we weren't together very long, but I fell DEEP in love with him and was very vulnerable in the situation. He was never properly committed to me and was a pretty crap boyfriend when it came down to it but I just cannot seem to forget about him. I have good days and then go completely backwards and feel like I'll never get over him. To make it worse, I have been on some terrible dates recently and just cry afterwards because I miss my ex - I'm so lonely and don't know what to do. Any advice would be much appreciated.
You said he wasn't very good too u. I'm sorry for that however it makes one wonder why you would be so "in love" with someone like that.

You need to take a break from dating to work on yourself (self confidence). Then you may begin to notice you're better off without him. If it's really deep seeded maybe seek professional help. You'd be amazed how much you'll open your eyes when you're in a better state mentally.

Good luck ((hugs))

Old 11-10-2013, 08:14 PM

362 posts, read 560,031 times
Two words.... "boyfriend bonfire". Just keep a fire extinguisher or bucket of water nearby

You need closure. Get rid of all traces of him, let go of all the negatives, and move on. Be realistic about the relationship you had with him. How can you miss someone that was not good to, or for, you? What you miss is the brief (ridiculously brief, in most cases) time that things were good between you two. It is always good in the beginning, but then you got to know him, and his true nature came out.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,907 times
There's an issue around being attracted to unavailable men. They can be lovely one minute and horrible the next. So you end up like a gambler, losing money, but always hoping for that big win. Or like an addict, chasing the first wonderful "hit".

Sometimes people are all charm and warmth on the surface but under it there's utter selfishness. And we yearn and yearn after the first view we had of them, refusing to accept that it was only a mask.

We may ourselves be emotionally unavailable, and only really drawn to the drama of being loved then rejected.

I am like this. I don't know the answer. But at least I have some idea of what the problem was.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,907 times
Or women, too - both sexes can be "unavailable".

Old 12-15-2013, 02:43 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Give yourself time. My ex-husband was a totally jerk but it still took quite some time to get over him. Peacelillie's post rang true for me, about missing the fantasy. In the beginning of a relationship, we start out with all these hopes, dreams, and expectations. It hurts to see all that go down the drain, and it hurts to let it go. But over time, it will get easier.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:19 PM

56 posts, read 90,649 times
Vanityvanity, I loved your reply. I've started a blog about this topic to help others (Tissues & Issues) and I was wondering if you minded me using it as a basis for a blog post? PM me if you'd like to discuss

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
I dont think you really cant get over the boyfriend, I think its being in a relationship that you are missing. You just need to realize he is extremely replaceable, in fact, you can probably replace him with a much better model, so start lookin!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM

305 posts, read 376,415 times
Quote:
Sounds like you "love" to be treated like crap. Not sure there is any advice for that, as the next guy you fall in love with will also treat you like crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships