Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
All I can say is - you don't know my son. And it's not a entire week - it's 4 and a half days. He's been wanting us to do a trip together for some time now.

(I just furnished his apartment for this year, and now he's leaving it for the internship - which comes with a furnished house by the way.)
Nope, obviously I don't know your son! You have a unique boy.

Enjoy your trip then! Clearly you have your mind made up, boyfriend will just have to deal. He'll survive--he's a big boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Nope, obviously I don't know your son! You have a unique boy.

Enjoy your trip then! Clearly you have your mind made up, boyfriend will just have to deal. He'll survive--he's a big boy.
Yes, I do.

My mind isn't made up. I just wanted some unbiased opinions. My sister thinks I'm nuts to even consider cancelling my son's trip to go to the wedding of someone I barely even know. Yes...my BF will survive if I go. I know that.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Yes, I do.

My mind isn't made up. I just wanted some unbiased opinions. My sister thinks I'm nuts to even consider cancelling my son's trip to go to the wedding of someone I barely even know. Yes...my BF will survive if I go. I know that.
You know in your gut what the right thing to do is

I can understand your BF's disappointment, but this isn't even a contest - KIDS OVER BOYFRIENDS ALL DAY LONG.

Tell the BF you'll make it up to him some other way - then have fun getting creative

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
After we got news of the internship, and the dates, the only window of time that fits for him, without pissing the entire family AND my BF off by being gone over Christmas!!! ) would put us down there in KW, over New Years. I have not said "this is the way it is", and I didn't say that I did. In fact I told him that I guess I should cancel the trip...and he of course thought that was the right thing to do. But I've thought about it all the way home today, and I don't think it's the right thing to do at all. I think my son gets ONE 21st birthday. A couple of hours at a wedding...for someone that my BF thinks is a nutcase anyway...I just don't see it. The issue is probably more that it is New Year's...and my BF just does NOT like to do stuff without me.
You said he's spending his 21st with friends, right? So it's not like you're cancelling his birthday. You could always make it a post-internship vacation. He'll probably need it anyways.

If the trip is only 4.5 days, you can fit it in between Christmas and new years (26-30). That's really what I was getting at - there are options if you choose to pursue them.

It sounds like you don't want to cancel. Like Cali said, your bf will survive. But, you do have alternatives if you really wanted to weigh the options. Of course, if you just don't want to cancel, there's nothing wrong with wanting to prioritize your son.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:54 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Imho, I would go on the trip with your son. You can make it up to your bf later on.

Have a Wonderful Adventure...

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
I'm thinking son vs. BF's friend - no contest. The son.
Agreed!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You said he's spending his 21st with friends, right? So it's not like you're cancelling his birthday. You could always make it a post-internship vacation. He'll probably need it anyways.

If the trip is only 4.5 days, you can fit it in between Christmas and new years (26-30). That's really what I was getting at - there are options if you choose to pursue them.

It sounds like you don't want to cancel. Like Cali said, your bf will survive. But, you do have alternatives if you really wanted to weigh the options. Of course, if you just don't want to cancel, there's nothing wrong with wanting to prioritize your son.
I AM fitting it in. We already have family commitments that mean a narrow window. Leaving the 26th is impossible. I already provided the options, okay? Of COURSE I don't want to cancel - the trip that is. I thought I made that pretty clear. There are only 2 choices. Cancel and go to the wedding, or skip the wedding and take my son.

Thanks for the responses. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Just wanted to update this. I called my BF today and told him I wouldn't be able to make the wedding as I felt the trip was just too important to cancel.

He said he was already thinking about not going anyway. He was totally understanding, and agreed that the birthday trip was more important. Not even sure why I was worried about it now.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Definitely spending time with your son...family always takes priority, IMO.

Neither here nor there, but as a person who is planning a winter wedding and who has made a specific point NOT to have it fall over any of the holidays in which people are quite understandably going to prioritize family time, when you plan a wedding for New Year's Eve, or over Christmas, or whatever, you're just asking for most people to have conflicts and be unable to attend. Just an opinion.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely spending time with your son...family always takes priority, IMO.

Neither here nor there, but as a person who is planning a winter wedding and who has made a specific point NOT to have it fall over any of the holidays in which people are quite understandably going to prioritize family time, when you plan a wedding for New Year's Eve, or over Christmas, or whatever, you're just asking for most people to have conflicts and be unable to attend. Just an opinion.
I agree - that was a really dumb idea to have it on New Year's Eve...but that isn't the first dumb thing that girl has done...and it won't be the last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships