Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:54 AM

374 posts, read 393,172 times

Advertisements

Curious as to how others do things with their SO.

Wife and I have joint bank accounts, but I know there are people out there that still live independently while still living with someone or married to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:59 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post

Wife and I have joint bank accounts, but I know there are people out there that still live independently while still living with someone or married to someone.
As a personal banker, I'd never be on a joint account with anyone. When it comes to money, my rule, don't trust anyone.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Both, one for joint expenses, the others for us (when I was doing this)

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
All joint.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:07 AM

54 posts, read 135,007 times
My answer: BOTH.

I would say home account, every of them put an equal percentage (lets say 50 or 60%) of their income and they sep ut direct income of the bills. Then both can have their personal account to save or use for whatever they want (I have a friend who like to invest in the market, if my boyfriend does that I would prefer him to have his personal account and use his money without putting into risk our money).

And the world would be perfect if you have a home-save account when you send money you don't spend and want to save for car issues, vacations... for future projects for the home.

In my opninion that's the perfect way to be a team without creating additional problems in the couple. If he wants to buy an iPad he can use his money, if I want to buy shoes and shoes and shoes I use mine. But we use our shared account to buy a mega TV or mega sofa for the house.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM

247 posts, read 483,081 times
We have one joint account that we created for the monetary gifts we received from the wedding. Everything else is separate.

We both work and have good paying jobs so it wasn't necessary to co-mingle the money we earn. If she wants to use her earnings to buy shoes and clothes, that's up to her as long as she can pay for her expenses (school loans, car, insurance, credit cards). My salary goes towards the mortgage and everything associated with the house (electricity, water, oil, cable/phone/internet, landscaping, alarm). So if I want a new mountain bike or new snowboard gear, I need to make sure I can satisfy those payments before anything else.

I prefer it that way to anything else because it allows independence and accountability. I know friends of hers that are married. Both work and earn good money. They have all joint accounts. And every time the wife wants to buy a pair of shoes, dress, a lens for her camera, etc., she needs to "approve" the purchase with her husband. I'm not into that. My wife earns her money and she earned the privilege to do what she pleases with her earnings as long as she's responsible for her debt. If she's short one month, it doesn't mean I wouldn't help. But, she would need to be more careful going forward.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
A combination of joint (for the mortgage, household bills, ongoing home renovation projects and travel) and separate (discretionary funds). Throughout our relationship the person making more has fluxuated, so we've loosely based our "precentages" on current income levels. It's not like my SO is eating caviar while I eat bread and water because I'm currently in grad school. We have pretty similar spending/saving habits so money issues, aside from wishing we had more, have never been an issue for us. I know we are fortunate in that respect.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Panthers View Post
SO = separate
spouse = joint

Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Separate, but we have each other's passwords.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
When I was married it was all joint, and it didn't bother me at all. I felt comfortable with that arrangement. I seen my parents have separate accounts and it caused a lot of problems, especially when it came to how money was spent and bills were paid. I just didn't think it was cool, to have to remind your spouse or ask them if they paid a certain bill, like we are roommates or something. But many married couples I know have separate bank accounts and it really works for them. So there really isn't a definite answer, just have to find a partner that is on the same page when it comes to finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships