Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,371,426 times

Advertisements

Ah, the middleman.

Break something big on her car! or... for heaven's sake stop your mom from feeling bad and slipping her money.

You know whats going to happen?
Things will escalate, she will fight with your parents, a lot of the anger she may be feeling about the situation will only feed the fire against her right now... all that money mom's been slippin her, she'll pack up and be gone that night. Then where will you be!

there needs to be some natural force of disaster that keeps her from seeing him, that has nothing to do with you, your parents or him... just to keep it uncomplicated, hehe.

Go on a road trip with her? For as bad as it may be being with this other guy, maybe it's the lesser of 2 evils at the moment because she's uncomfortable at home TOO! So get outta there, try to reconnect with her again. Shake things up, get her out of that scared and trapped little bubble she's wrapping herself in. Before she starts looking to this guy as "the only way out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
No. I have not successfully talked a sibling away from a bad relationship just in the same way others were not able to talk me out of them. People have to come to their own self-epiphanies, mostly after alot of pain. She just may repeat the same patterns over and over until she gets tired of them herself. The problem is that until SHE sees it as a problem, there is no motivation to get rid of the status quo. You can't control others and their actions, only your own, which is why you just need to be there for her when she needs you. No doubt she will need you in the future.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
She's so afraid she won't ever find another boyfriend, and is willing to do whatever he asks her to do all the time. Even though she's saying that to him, she won't follow through with it.

Thank goodness she's already on the pill, but what scares me is that I don't know where this boy has been.

I worry she's going to end up in the hospital if she moves into that trailer because of her asthma.

Has anyone ever successfully talked a sibling away from a bad relationship?
I tried with my sister one time, but it did absolutely no good. She always went back. And Fiddlekitten is right, you should heed her words. Try to show her another world, a better world. Let her get fixed up and go out and maybe even in the hopes that another guy would look at her and say hi.

This guy is a complete loser; your assessment is right.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM

200 posts, read 888,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
No. I have not successfully talked a sibling away from a bad relationship just in the same way others were not able to talk me out of them. People have to come to their own self-epiphanies, mostly after alot of pain. She just may repeat the same patterns over and over until she gets tired of them herself. The problem is that until SHE sees it as a problem, there is no motivation to get rid of the status quo. You can't control others and their actions, only your own, which is why you just need to be there for her when she needs you. No doubt she will need you in the future.
This is excellent...I wish there was a magic potion to give her to see the real truth. I completely agree with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I tried with my sister one time, but it did absolutely no good. She always went back. And Fiddlekitten is right, you should heed her words. Try to show her another world, a better world. Let her get fixed up and go out and maybe even in the hopes that another guy would look at her and say hi.

This guy is a complete loser; your assessment is right.

I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you, I need all the luck I can get!

I'm going to try and "show her another world" as was so eloquently put here. What's difficult for me to demonstrate IS that other world--I never "dated." Only my DH. I wouldn't even begin to know where to take her!

Suggestions??

Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
This is excellent...I wish there was a magic potion to give her to see the real truth. I completely agree with this post.

Thank you, I need all the luck I can get!

I'm going to try and "show her another world" as was so eloquently put here. What's difficult for me to demonstrate IS that other world--I never "dated." Only my DH. I wouldn't even begin to know where to take her!

Suggestions??
Depends, what's your idea of ideal for your sister? I did the same thing for my good high school girl friend who dated losers for the longest time. Then we took up a debate class and met the most handsome, charismatic gentleman she'd ever laid her eyes on which put her blubbering, redneck loser boyfriend to shame. It wasn't long before she dropped him like a bad habit. In the process, we both learned how to properly debate and write persuasive speeches :P

Old 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
There is no shortage of men. Many are divorced these days, and there are actually some nice gentlemen out there......

Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Depends, what's your idea of ideal for your sister? I did the same thing for my good high school girl friend who dated losers for the longest time. Then we took up a debate class and met the most handsome, charismatic gentleman she'd ever laid her eyes on which put her blubbering, redneck loser boyfriend to shame. It wasn't long before she dropped him like a bad habit. In the process, we both learned how to properly debate and write persuasive speeches :P
Ideal? Man who will dote on her like a queen and take care of her the rest of her life and make her inexplicably happy.

LOL Did I mention I never want her to suffer ever again?

Seriously, I want her to date someone her age (19-23), who has some goals for himself and an idea about working to attain those goals. Someone who respects her, rather than takes advantage of her kindness and her desire to take care of others.

I've thought of maybe us volunteering at a local hospital...but I ran out of ideas after that.

I'm significantly older, so I don't really have any single guy friends that I would trust could be good to her. And I don't have any coworkers close in age that are single. My DH has no single coworkers either.

I'm really dealing with a very limited search area at the moment!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
There is no shortage of men. Many are divorced these days, and there are actually some nice gentlemen out there......
I wouldn't disqualify any man based soley on age or whether or not they've previously been married.

I know it happens, but I think the best thing for my sister would be someone closer in age to her (purely for maturity reasons). Then again, who am I to really say what's best for her?

We are two very different sisters!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:26 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,732,653 times
Quote:
Ideal? Man who will dote on her like a queen and take care of her the rest of her life and make her inexplicably happy.

LOL Did I mention I never want her to suffer ever again?

Seriously, I want her to date someone her age (19-23), who has some goals for himself and an idea about working to attain those goals. Someone who respects her, rather than takes advantage of her kindness and her desire to take care of others.

I've thought of maybe us volunteering at a local hospital...but I ran out of ideas after that.

I'm significantly older, so I don't really have any single guy friends that I would trust could be good to her. And I don't have any coworkers close in age that are single. My DH has no single coworkers either.

I'm really dealing with a very limited search area at the moment!

Local hospital, book club, tennis club, university...the possibilities are endless of where you'll find wholesome guys Good luck!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Local hospital, book club, tennis club, university...the possibilities are endless of where you'll find wholesome guys Good luck!

Thank you!! (It's taking everything I have not to show her this thread and have her hear it from someone who isn't family!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships