Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

Recently located to a new city, and came across meetup.com when looking for new events to attend within my interest areas.

If anything, I'm not exactly looking for friends or dates, but more so fun events to attend to that are interesting to me. I'm very personable, so if I make good friends, great, but I wouldn't say that is my focus. (Which I feel is worth mentioning since it seems many people that use the site are those with social anxiety looking to make new friends or get dates).

Has anyone used Meetup.com and gone to different meetups in your interest areas? What was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,673 times
I've used it for a few types of groups and generally had positive experiences. The only awkward moment is when you show up for the first time, because the other meetup members mostly know one another already. But it's great for finding others (especially in a new city) that have the same interests as you.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:51 AM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Yup. But not for a@@, for friends. It's pretty decent, and one of my friends has pretty much his whole social network from there.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
I haven't used meetup, but I know several people who have made good friends and activity partners that way. The ones I know are not people with social anxiety. I would think social anxiety would make one far less likely to show up at an event to meet a bunch of strangers.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM

678 posts, read 1,064,572 times
I've used it and I've had a positive experience with it. It's a great site for meeting people or joining groups but I've never used it for dating so I wouldn't be able to advise on that.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:07 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaraz View Post
I've used it and I've had a positive experience with it. It's a great site for meeting people or joining groups but I've never used it for dating so I wouldn't be able to advise on that.
My impression is that it would be ill-advised to use it for dating. I would recommend using it to make friends. Of course, sometimes people end up dating their friends, so that's always a possibility, but if your primary goal is dating it makes more sense to just use a dating site.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:22 PM

216 posts, read 438,147 times
I love Meetup. I am involved with a few groups, mostly related to a sport. I highly recommend Meetups for that sort of thing; as far as social meetups, I went to one or two events sponsored by "singles" meetup groups and was unimpressed, however, this is surely a very variable situation depending on the location and people attending.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
I should have clarified that I won't be using it for looking for dates, I'm happily together with my girlfriend! (I just mentioned that since it seemed from my research people were using the site mostly for friends and dating).

I found a few groups that look interesting, I think I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for all the responses

Old 11-06-2013, 03:34 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Recently located to a new city, and came across meetup.com when looking for new events to attend within my interest areas.

If anything, I'm not exactly looking for friends or dates, but more so fun events to attend to that are interesting to me. I'm very personable, so if I make good friends, great, but I wouldn't say that is my focus. (Which I feel is worth mentioning since it seems many people that use the site are those with social anxiety looking to make new friends or get dates).

Has anyone used Meetup.com and gone to different meetups in your interest areas? What was your experience?
Yes. Meetup is the core of my social life. And I in no way am exaggerated. I would say the majority of my friends and dates I know through various meetups. High school and college friends I only keep in touch through facebook.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCity View Post
I love Meetup. I am involved with a few groups, mostly related to a sport. I highly recommend Meetups for that sort of thing; as far as social meetups, I went to one or two events sponsored by "singles" meetup groups and was unimpressed, however, this is surely a very variable situation depending on the location and people attending.
Agreed. Meetups specifically centered around "mixers" tend to have a little smell of desperation to the air. But I will say I have been in dating relationships with women I knew from meetup.

The best way for me to connect with people either as friends or dating is through common interest and commonly enjoyed activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships