U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM

5,601 posts, read 4,930,552 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone obtained their divorce without a lawyer? I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons from those who have done it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 04:02 PM

15,595 posts, read 35,273,218 times
Yes I did. I'm not much into filling out pages of stuff so that sucked...but everything was in order and went well in court. I saved a bunch of money by doing it myself. Some lawyers are leeches and will suck you dry.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

896 posts, read 961,979 times
I did it. If you aren't going to fight over property or kids, you will save a ton of money by shopping a lawyer. They love brutal splits because they make more money that way.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Just curious if anyone obtained their divorce without a lawyer? I would be interested in hearing any pros and cons from those who have done it.
I've seen it done, but I think it works best for those who have little money and the shared goal of cooperation to just get it over with.

If there are minor kids involved, however, child support issues can be tough to enforce and deal with without having a lawyer though.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,821,948 times
Some places you can file pro se. If it is straight forward it is dandy. However, I recommend an attorney for your own protection and prevention of surprises. Usually it is the couple not the attorneys who make things messy and contentious.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,231,613 times
I did it. Was scared stiff. But if you don't have kids, or property, or joint assets, or anything like that to dispute over - why waste the money?

I had to wait a year, to legally file in the state of Maryland. (it's different everywhere)
Then I filed. Waited for my court date. Had to prove that I sent a process server to serve my husband his side of the divorce papers. He never responded. He never came to the court date. Judge ruled in my favor, banged his gavel, and like ...$180 dollars later, it was over. If that. Court filing fees, and what not. The process server was $20.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,047,705 times
The biggest pro is that it's the cheapest way to go and it's easy if everyone agrees on everything. You can typically get help filling out the forms at the courthouse or there's a lot of online sites that will do it for you if you want to pay for that. There's even paralegal services who put the paperwork together for you (but do not give legal advice) and will file for you, for a fee.

The cons is that it can be time consuming (courthouse trips) and it's not always easy to get the paperwork exactly correct. I had to redo all my paperwork due to a forgotten account that forced us to file in a different way. And the biggest con is obviously if one party starts to cause issues or if both parties can't agree on a darn thing, it can get very ugly and messy and that's when you'd need an attorney (or mediator).

IMHO, if you have nothing but typical household goods, there's no need to even retain a lawyer, nor to hire one. Yes, they can protect you, but what are they protecting you from? Losing the toaster? You can handle a lot of the monetary things prior to even filing. So, for example, if you have a car loan with both names on loan and title. You can refi it into one name and remove one name off the title BEFORE filing the paperwork. So when you list it as an asset, it's in your name, not joint, which makes things easier. Close out joint credit cards, joint bank accounts, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships