U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:29 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,235,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
lol what?

So none of them are attractive?

Talk about high standards...
Most of the photos are uninteresting and don't show much effort. Most people are more attractive in person, so they are selling themselves short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,737,849 times
I met my husband online in 1999 through a companion ad I posted. Happily married 13 years.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM

7,148 posts, read 7,940,858 times
Quote:
Its agreed amongst women that most guys (95%+) who message you on OKCupid/POF are boring, dull, ugly, no career, no outlook, no personality etc

Correct?

Ok let's agree for argument's sake.

So then why do you still go online and make a profile and then complain about getting hit on by undesirable guys?

Seems pretty counter intuitive...

I do pretty horribly at bars/nightclubs. Thus, I stopped trying to get with girls at nightclubs. If I do go, it would be with friends and I would never complain about lack of attention because I have already accepted the odds.

their are a lot of flaky women and the consequences for being flaky online are a lot less , no face to face awkwardness

Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM

14,396 posts, read 17,284,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their are a lot of flaky women and the consequences for being flaky online are a lot less , no face to face awkwardness
Yes!! Same for men.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM

40,175 posts, read 15,136,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Honestly the ladies and gentlemen complain for many reasons. They have issues themselves or disappointment can take a toll on anyone. It's extremely frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Depends on who is looking and what they are looking for.
Raena makes some good points on this thread.

For one, dating can be difficult and frustrating for both men and women. Neither gender has a corner on dateability, nor does any particular demographic.

Regarding online dating, some women complain and some men complain. Some people have good luck with online dating and some don't. Some people lie or create false profiles and some don't. Some people are superficial and some aren't. Neither gender has an advantage over the other. You reap what you sow.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:43 AM

22,486 posts, read 24,041,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If those pictures are indicative of the online dating population, a lot of you need to take more time with your photos and description. It's like going to a bar in sweatpants and wondering why nobody will talk to to you.
Ha! I thought the same. Selfies taken in a poorly lit bathroom mirror aren't doing them any favors.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:54 AM

2,398 posts, read 2,753,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian_Stallion View Post
Most chicks on dating sites are ugly with problems

Facebook and instagram are much better options
I think that's a bit harsh. Everyone has problems no ones life is perfect. As for being ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM

943 posts, read 848,960 times
Here here!
You are correct
I am very NON photogenic, but in real life, I'm kinda pretty. One reason is,because I'm myself, I laugh, I play, I'm genuine. I'm real. You can't get that in an online profile. And besides, most people would reinterpret that to mean: "What she really means is, shes' ugly and bizarre."
To which I say: "So what, who cares and WHAT EVA"

Old 11-08-2013, 11:17 AM

7,802 posts, read 4,986,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
Average people have a lottery mentality. Rich people have an action mentality. Sergey Brin $18.7 Billion
Sergey Brin would be a fool to post evidence of his financial wherewithal on a public site - together with his photo and city of residence. And he'd be a pompous lout if flaunting his wealth (cars, houses, whatnot). Instead, his wealth should only be revealed gradually, from meetings in person.

And because presumably he's no fool, there is no obvious means to convey his material good fortune in online dating. His putative advantage is nullified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Most of the photos are uninteresting and don't show much effort. Most people are more attractive in person, so they are selling themselves short.
Excellent point. And this is precisely why online photographs should be at most a secondary consideration for deciding when to send messages and when to respond. Primary consideration should be (a) basic values, and (b) writing skills.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM

31,390 posts, read 19,800,698 times
Quote:
Its agreed amongst women that most guys (95%+) who message you on OKCupid/POF are boring, dull, ugly, no career, no outlook, no personality etc

Correct?

Ok let's agree for argument's sake.

So then why do you still go online and make a profile and then complain about getting hit on by undesirable guys?

Seems pretty counter intuitive...

I do pretty horribly at bars/nightclubs. Thus, I stopped trying to get with girls at nightclubs. If I do go, it would be with friends and I would never complain about lack of attention because I have already accepted the odds.

Because of the remaining 5%? I mean, it's not like anyone needs 100 people they want to date, you only need a few, and then whittle that down to the "one."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or