Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,587,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
You don't have anyone that you've never met in person as a Facebook friend?
I don't, either. In the very early days of Facebook (2004-2006) I used it to meet people (almost like online dating) which was fairly common at the time. If I didn't end up meeting them in person I would eventually delete them, though, and now I only use it to keep in touch with people I already know in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:10 AM

156 posts, read 259,772 times
Quote:
Someone I know from Brazil calls Facebook "Fakebook". I am not on there, even though I'm familiar with how the site works, but I thought that was funny. How many of you think there's a lot of fakeness on there?
i think "fakeness" is the same as being a follower and not a leader. I have mostly young people as friends so much of what i see applies to that demographic.

if one mother starts posting endless pictures of her baby, then so do all the other mothers. If one girl posts pictures of her self in a bikini, then so do other girls. If someone posts about what they are eating for lunch, then so do the others.

i feel like many are just doing what they see others doing instead of trying to be original and unique.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:11 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,723,855 times
I don't think I have posted one picture of myself in the last year I've had an account. Usually scenic Alaska pic's. And I don't do the status update crap every time I go somewhere or do something throughout the day. And I don't use a smart phone so I'm not constantly updating and poking and replying to crap either. But I do have co-workers that feel naked without their damn phone in their hand and constantly on facebook. Drives me up the wall.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,529,501 times
Quote:
Someone I know from Brazil calls Facebook "Fakebook". I am not on there, even though I'm familiar with how the site works, but I thought that was funny. How many of you think there's a lot of fakeness on there?

*not talking about impersonations
One might be able to embellish on FB, but with people having real life friends & family on their friends list it would be difficult to pull off a complete fabrication of their life. IMO

Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,907,301 times
Quote:
So when people act obnoxious on Facebook is it safe to assume that they act obnoxious in person? (assuming I don't know them)

For instance, I know someone who curses like a sailor on Facebook. Is it safe to assume that they curse a lot in real life too or are they just exploring something they can't in real life?
"Idk...what the hell did he say?"

Old 11-09-2013, 10:49 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,907,301 times
Please don't make me take down my buff picture. Pleeeeeease!!!!

Old 11-09-2013, 11:02 AM

22,383 posts, read 47,363,886 times
Quote:
You don't have anyone that you've never met in person as a Facebook friend?

No.
Why on earth would I?

Old 11-09-2013, 11:07 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,546,441 times
It is also called "fakebook" because many factions create fake profiles to get on your "friends" list. If you look up how fake profiles in Egypt were created for political reasons. google it.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,723,855 times
I don't just accept anyone as a friend. Why would I? The size of my friend list means nothing to me. I'm not out to set some record or keep up with someone elses list count. Nor would I request to be added to anyone elses friend list if I did not know them.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,599,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Not only can you be, but most people are. For example, people are more likely to post pictures of themselves at parties or nice restaurants with attractive people than pictures of themselves sitting around unshowered eating ramen noodles alone in their underwear, even if they do the latter four times as often as the former. People pick and choose how they want to portray themselves, and it usually only involves showing a very small part of their actual lives. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's important to remember. I regularly talk to young people who are depressed because they make the mistake of comparing the full reality of their own lives (including the really difficult parts of life) with the idealized version of life that other people put on Facebook.
Yeah, this is what I'm getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships