Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respironics View Post
The MARRIAGE industry was big, the DIVORCE industry was small. They didn't get married for superficial reasons, they didn't confuse physical attraction with love, they had faith in one another, they loved one another FOR their human imperfections, they wanted to spend a lifetime together, they knew that love grows over the years.
You forgot the unicorns and leprechauns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And there were unicorns and rainbows everywhere!
Ha. I guess I should have finished reading the thread before responding.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,073,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It has been for women as well, and not only in the West. I just read that Sweden has the highest percentage of people living together without marrying. And Sweden's known for independent women. So that tells you something.
Its more about their lack of interest rather than their independence. Thats why couples living together often don't get married, cause they don't think it is important.

Also, many of those couples eventually get married. Hence, Sweden marriage rate is higher than lots of other European countries.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:38 AM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
An accurate presentation of how some people view the 1950s. The guy in the black shirt is anyone with an ounce of perspective and common sense.

Fluffle Puff Tales: "PFUDOR" - YouTube

Old 11-22-2013, 05:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respironics View Post
The MARRIAGE industry was big, the DIVORCE industry was small. They didn't get married for superficial reasons, they didn't confuse physical attraction with love, they had faith in one another, they loved one another FOR their human imperfections, they wanted to spend a lifetime together, they knew that love grows over the years.
Oh nonsense, a good number got married because they had sex out of wedlock and the girl got knocked up. That was a HUGE impetus to get married, which is why you see the average age for marriage was 18-20.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:08 PM

513 posts, read 897,268 times
MY opinion is that way back then folks fixed broken items instead of tossing them out. That goes for everything from a sock to a marriage, they took the time to fix whatever was wrong.

Society overall was different back then, what we consider being "trapped with no way out" today would be considered nothing then. Hell, many tasks that today are considered hard work would have been given to a lazy person way back. I know my Grandmother told me of how she and her siblings worked the cotton fields at age 6. They only had to put 25# of cotton per bag until they were 10, then were expected to lug 100# bags to the trailer and load them up themselves.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:21 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesux View Post
MY opinion is that way back then folks fixed broken items instead of tossing them out. That goes for everything from a sock to a marriage, they took the time to fix whatever was wrong.

Society overall was different back then, what we consider being "trapped with no way out" today would be considered nothing then. Hell, many tasks that today are considered hard work would have been given to a lazy person way back. I know my Grandmother told me of how she and her siblings worked the cotton fields at age 6. They only had to put 25# of cotton per bag until they were 10, then were expected to lug 100# bags to the trailer and load them up themselves.
Things were sure better back in the day!!!

No. Fallacy of nostalgia. Look it up.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:41 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
I think mostly everyone here pretty much covered why marriages in the past weren't as blissful as they appeared to be on the surface. Mainly having to do with the lack of options and support women had in leaving a poor and abusive relationship. And I don't even want to go into my family history on the subject.

Just saying "hey let's go back to the good ol' days" is a simplistic and unrealistic solution to any problem.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:12 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,621,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships