Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times

Advertisements

Yay Rance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 12:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Not really a horror story but...I'm currently at work on the northern coast of Alaska. I had to drive 20 miles out for a late meeting from my base camp. The weather blew in and it was a total whiteout for an entire day and night. So I spent turkey day holed up in a small satellite camp, gnarly food, and an uncomfortable couch. The good thing was...it was marathon CSI and Cold Case Files. I can pretty much solve any kind of crime you can come up with right now.
Well, you are with the CD Dept. of corrections Rance!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Years ago, when I was in my early 20's and in the USAF, I came home for Thanksgiving on leave. My stepmother and I had never really gotten along but it was good to come home to see everyone else, so I sucked it up and came home. When I first joined the USAF, I met a wonderful Latina airman. We dated for awhile but drifted apart when reassignments took us away from each other.

Anyway, my stepmother announced at the Thanksgiving table that "Crew Chief will find somebody nice to marry someday. Not necessarily white, but somebody nice"

As it turned out, I married someone a LOT more worldly than she ever will be...

Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Years ago, I was making blueberry pies along with the traditional pumpkin pies and pecan pies. My step dad loved blueberry pie....well, this year inparticular, I was baking them in those flimsy foil pans and when I was pulling them out of the oven, I dropped both of them, not one, but both of them on the floor....and they were hot...but b/c of the confusion of it all, my dogs got the pies...and they loved it and when we told dad how much they loved his blueberry pies, he laughed like anything....

do I get a cookie now...

ahhhhh, you said horror story didn't you....

ok, I made my step dad eat the pie up off the floor????

now do I get a cookie?

Old 11-25-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom7500 View Post
more a gripe than a horror story if that's ok?

My mother and stepfather came. They are the type who "can't buy any nice Christmas presents this year because" (fill in the blank):

o spent $90,000 remodeling the kitchen rather than the $80,000 they budgeted because they *had* to have the world's fanciest granite imported from that remote place, carried by endangered marine life

o had to buy the most upgraded hybrid SUV Lexus with the warming seats, every electronic device, especially those that made the cover of national magazines, satellite radio, plus the full time chauffeur;

o went on all of those cruises, spent too much on timeshare resorts, etc., etc. The Ritz is so expensive!

But ... which "shirt" would their grandchild like for Christmas this year? No! Not the $28 shirt in that catalog - pick from the $12 shirts in the other catalog! If she can't decide on a shirt, they could consider a toy.
I just spit my ice tea all over the screen, laughing so hard...I'm sorry, I know how disappointing it must be, but the one where the marine life carried the endangered granite countertop or was that endangered marine life.....from some remote place really split my gut....

[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2007, 04:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just spit my ice tea all over the screen, laughing so hard...I'm sorry, I know how disappointing it must be, but the one where the marine life carried the endangered granite countertop or was that endangered marine life.....from some remote place really split my gut....

[/IMG]
LOL - honestly, the second they leave I miss them, but it was getting to be a looong holiday

Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Years ago we are at the in-laws, the dog poop smell and dog pee damp floors were overpowering, the food was on the table (I don't eat there), my fil was carving the turkey, he was smoking, ashes were falling on the turkey, he rubbed them in with his hand . Everbody ate and I watched, i could see dog hair in the food. My sister in-law went to the kitchen, she turned on the light and screemed . there were cockroaches everwhere, the big ones, there was a cat on the counter sampling all the food. She ran from the kitchen with a giant flying cockroach in persuit. I had to use the restroom, the toilet bowl was black, I thought I've never seen a black toilet bowl, it wasn't supose to be black It was the last year for thanksgiving at the Father and Mother in-laws, they still don't understand why we won't have it there.
sheeesh, I cannot believe this...not that I don't believe you, it's them I cannot believe, Gwad?

I feel bad for them....

Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Not exactly a horror story, but many years ago when I lived in another city from my parents, I had driven home for Thanksgiving. Although my brother and his girlfriend were cooking T'giving dinner for her kids, they didn't invite us over. (Long story for another thread.) It was just going to be Mom and Dad and me. Mom didn't want to cook so we were going out to eat. I didn't begrudge her that--it's a lot of work and she didn't like to cook. My dad was an alcoholic and a HUGE Dallas Cowboys fan. The Dallas kickoff was about 4 o'clock and he would not agree to eat before then. I can only imagine it was because it would interfere with his drinking. So Mom and I waited and waited and sat on the front porch and watched people going on their after dinner walks and waited some more. Finally, about 8 p.m. we went to a steak house, my dad stumbling drunk, and had dinner. The stumbling drunk part wasn't unusual--just particularly annoying on Thanksgiving.

I vowed to my mother that I would never do that again. By the time the next Thanksgiving rolled around I had moved back to my hometown and we had Thanksgiving at my new house. (I didn't move just b/c of T'giving.) I've either cooked T'giving or shared cooking with friends since then. My dad died 6 years ago.

BTW, I barely drink and I hate to watch sports on television. Go figure.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:04 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Years ago, I was making blueberry pies along with the traditional pumpkin pies and pecan pies. My step dad loved blueberry pie....well, this year inparticular, I was baking them in those flimsy foil pans and when I was pulling them out of the oven, I dropped both of them, not one, but both of them on the floor....and they were hot...but b/c of the confusion of it all, my dogs got the pies...and they loved it and when we told dad how much they loved his blueberry pies, he laughed like anything....

do I get a cookie now...

ahhhhh, you said horror story didn't you....

ok, I made my step dad eat the pie up off the floor????

now do I get a cookie?
I can't give you a cookie right now, creme, until i spread the love around a little more. i'll try again later.

greenie

Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Years ago we are at the in-laws, the dog poop smell and dog pee damp floors were overpowering, the food was on the table (I don't eat there), my fil was carving the turkey, he was smoking, ashes were falling on the turkey, he rubbed them in with his hand . Everbody ate and I watched, i could see dog hair in the food. My sister in-law went to the kitchen, she turned on the light and screemed . there were cockroaches everwhere, the big ones, there was a cat on the counter sampling all the food. She ran from the kitchen with a giant flying cockroach in persuit. I had to use the restroom, the toilet bowl was black, I thought I've never seen a black toilet bowl, it wasn't supose to be black It was the last year for thanksgiving at the Father and Mother in-laws, they still don't understand why we won't have it there.
just know youre not alone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships