Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,378,461 times

Advertisements

So me and my boyfriend just had a huge argument about this and I'm interested in hearing people's viewpoints. Last night, I went out with a girlfriend for dinner and drinks. At around midnight, we went back to her place and I felt pretty tired from drinking and just decided to crash at her place. I live in Chicago and her place is like a 40 minute train ride from my apartment.

When I called my boyfriend (who I live with) last night to tell him I was staying over, he went ballistic. He said he didn't like it at all didn't think it was right for a grown woman to spend the night at a friend's house. He even told me he'd pay for my cab if I just came home. After arguing for a few minutes, I told him I was staying and that I would be home in the morning.

Is it me or is he overreacting? I just find this so weird. He also didn't like the fact that I've only known this girl for a couple months and that he's only met her once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 02:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,556,724 times
He obviously didn't like that you went out in the first place, but thought it would be okay, as long as came back home to him, but you didn't come back home.

He is feeling insecure. If you value him, I suggest you spend time reassuring him (in a way that you don't belittle him) then take it from there.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:40 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,691,475 times
Heaven forbid a grown up should make her own decisions

From the brief description you've given your boyfriend sounds like a control freak.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:42 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,583,228 times
I am in my 50s and still have sleepovers with my girlfriends! What's his deal?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:48 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,110,362 times
Sounds like you two have some problems. A young girl who has been drinking should not be traveling alone late at night. You made the right decision imo.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,565,190 times
Same sex, appropriate

opposite sex, completely inappropriate

Old 11-09-2013, 02:49 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,870,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
So me and my boyfriend just had a huge argument about this and I'm interested in hearing people's viewpoints. Last night, I went out with a girlfriend for dinner and drinks. At around midnight, we went back to her place and I felt pretty tired from drinking and just decided to crash at her place. I live in Chicago and her place is like a 40 minute train ride from my apartment.

When I called my boyfriend (who I live with) last night to tell him I was staying over, he went ballistic. He said he didn't like it at all didn't think it was right for a grown woman to spend the night at a friend's house. He even told me he'd pay for my cab if I just came home. After arguing for a few minutes, I told him I was staying and that I would be home in the morning.

Is it me or is he overreacting? I just find this so weird. He also didn't like the fact that I've only known this girl for a couple months and that he's only met her once.
He's selfish and you'd better ask your new friend if she wants a roommate.

I would be ok with you staying there knowing you are safe.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,151,650 times
You made the right decision. He is heavily overreacting.

Does he have trust issues? You need to ask him what about your actions upset him. He needs to be more specific. Does he not like it because he thinks you need to spend more time with him? Does he think you are seeing other men? Does he think it's immature behavior?

If you have a normal relationship outside of this (you've never cheated, you're not a druggie, etc), then he might just be a controlling jerk. How long have you been with this guy?

Old 11-09-2013, 02:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,529,206 times
Wait, seriously??? I assumed it was an opposite-sex friend but he has an issue with you staying over at a same sex friends place?

Hell, I wouldn't even have an issue with my guy staying over at another woman's house but I'd have even less of an issue with him staying over at one of his guy friend's houses.

I'll also echo zentropa above, I'm nearly 30 and back home all of us gals would get together and have sleepovers fairly often. In fact, I'm starting to plan a big one when I go back home in the spring

Old 11-09-2013, 02:51 PM

350 posts, read 474,690 times
I'm in my 60's and sometimes go spend a whole WEEKEND with old friends~!! I also have hobbies that take me out of town for long weekends where I share motels with various friends. My husband NEVER questions my decision to go or stay somewhere~!

Especially if you felt you'd over indulged, you did the RIGHT thing by staying put and not taking any chance, whether it be a train or cab ride, when you could stay put. You called and left him know. He should have been happy and relieved to know you were safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships