Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2017, 01:51 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

Do you literally go up to the other person and go "my friend likes you"? I've had a guy say that to me. He said his friend was super shy but liked me and wanted to buy me a drink. I asked who his friend was and when he pointed to this super awkward looking guy in the corner, I immediately thought the wingman was better.

I've had girl and guy friends checking people out at the bar and often wondered if I shouldn't go up to them and tell them and try to set people up. I mean, why not. We probably won't ever see them again. Might be more embarrassing for my friend but I actually would have no idea what to say. My friend wanted to talk to this guy but was too shy so she pushed me in front of him and his friend to initiate conversation but I was too awkward and it backfired lol. I didn't think he was worth pursuing anyway and was trying to tell her it was a bad idea.

I think the better approach would be to make friends with them but they might think I was the one interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 02:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
I look at a wingman as a friend who is like your ego on display. Hopefully it's more subtle than saying "my friend likes you," as if you're on the playground.

S/he says the things you're thinking, behaves in ways that can engage the person you want to talk to, and s/he talks to the friend you aren't interested in so you can focus your efforts on the person you ARE interested in (assuming they are in a pair or group while out).

The wingman basically makes it easy for you to pursue the person you're interested in.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,946,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Do you literally go up to the other person and go "my friend likes you"? I've had a guy say that to me. He said his friend was super shy but liked me and wanted to buy me a drink. I asked who his friend was and when he pointed to this super awkward looking guy in the corner, I immediately thought the wingman was better.

I've had girl and guy friends checking people out at the bar and often wondered if I shouldn't go up to them and tell them and try to set people up. I mean, why not. We probably won't ever see them again. Might be more embarrassing for my friend but I actually would have no idea what to say. My friend wanted to talk to this guy but was too shy so she pushed me in front of him and his friend to initiate conversation but I was too awkward and it backfired lol. I didn't think he was worth pursuing anyway and was trying to tell her it was a bad idea.

I think the better approach would be to make friends with them but they might think I was the one interested.
Or this guy just said his friend like you just to talk to you.

He knows you won't like the guy he points to and he goes home with you.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:21 PM

204 posts, read 129,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The wingman basically makes it easy for you to pursue the person you're interested in.
This in a nutshell. I've been called "the best wingman ever" when my buddy and I were out doing the bar thing years back. (Not by him, by some girls that were often out with us.)

He'd find a target and I'd often start the setup with some simple talk. Get to know you kind of thing. Make sure she's single! (Very important) And just get a feel for her. Once he enters the picture, it becomes time to lob him some softballs to get/ maintain her interest. From there he's on his own. lol I don't go for "drunk bar girls" so I enjoyed being the wingman most of the time.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I would go over and say (example) "Hey, you want to join us?" I would facilitate conversation "You pay in a band? My GF here is a singer! What type of music do you play?", brag about her accomplishments "X is very well regarded in her field, she is very passionate about her work."

Stuff like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 PM

204 posts, read 129,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would go over and say (example) "Hey, you want to join us?" I would facilitate conversation "You pay in a band? My GF here is a singer! What type of music do you play?", brag about her accomplishments "X is very well regarded in her field, she is very passionate about her work."

Stuff like that.
Yup. It really all depends on how well you and your friend know each other. You can play off each other like that and really make it work. My buddy and I have known each other since 9th grade, so it was easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships