Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:15 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,162 times

Advertisements

I decided to give Internet dating (OkCupid) another shot. Upon meeting my date, it was glaringly obvious he was a closeted homosexual. (Nothing wrong with being gay, except I want to date a straight man! I even checked his profile after the date to make sure he identified himself as "straight" and I didn't misunderstand.) I deleted my account after this date and have permanently given up on Internet dating. Misery loves company - let's hear your most horrific, terrible, Internet dating stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Wow. Yikes. I actually don't have many horror stories. I was approached by a man on OKC a couple months ago. We talked for a bit and were going to meet up, but something seemed off. I later (like the next day) discovered during conversation that he had been arrested many times and was a drug dealer in the past, and is still an addict (opiates). He went ballistic on me when I expressed second thoughts. Just bat sh*t crazy. He made many attempts to contact me by creating new profiles, eventually, after about a week or two, he gave up. (he didn't stalk me every day or anything, but his last message came about two weeks after I declined the date).

I've been doing the online dating thing for over two years on and off. I've met some great and interesting people, and folks who are what I like to call characters. Aside from the above story, I don't really have any truly horrible experiences or dates. I've been on dates where I didn't feel any chemistry, but none that were truly that bad. I've briefly dated several men, and have been in two relationships.

I actually have a date tonight with a gentleman I met on OKC. Woot!

Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
I have a side question for the ladies: What would catch your interest to talk to someone online?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
I have a side question for the ladies: What would catch your interest to talk to someone online?
A profile that catches my attention. An individual who I think would be a compatible fit. Attractive (to me), high intellect, wit, sense of humor, excellent written communication skills, progressive-leaning, free-thinker (or spiritual in the nontheistic sense), and nerdy/geeky (or creative/artistic) attributes.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
I have several. I don't even know where to start. Been doing online dating since my divorce 4 years ago. Its been mostly a disaster. A memorable date was a woman who met me out on a Saturday night at a bar and proceeded to start drinking whisky as soon as she sat down. Downed a couple before I finished my first beer. After talking for an hour, pretended to have a work emergency and literally walked out on my. This was at like 8:30 on a Saturday night. I'm generally considered a decent looking guy and I didn't say anything offensive or rude. It was just weird.

My good story is I'm dating a woman now who I met on EHarmony 6 months ago. We had what I thought was a good date, but then I couldn't get her to return a phone call. Fast forward about 6 months and I stumbled on her profile again and emailed her asking what happened. She said I was her last date and she wasn't ready to date then. We ended up going out on a date and have seen each other about once a week since. I'd see her more, but our schedules don't allow for it, and she has a 3 year old daughter who she hasn't decided to introduce me to yet. However, we're exclusive now and its going very well.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I have several. I don't even know where to start. Been doing online dating since my divorce 4 years ago. Its been mostly a disaster. A memorable date was a woman who met me out on a Saturday night at a bar and proceeded to start drinking whisky as soon as she sat down. Downed a couple before I finished my first beet. After talking for an hour, pretended to have a work emergency and literally walked out on my. This was at like 8:30 on a Saturday night. I'm generally considered a decent looking guy and I didn't say anything offensive or rude. It was just weird.

My good story is I'm dating a woman now who I met on EHarmony 6 months ago. We had what I thought was a good date, but then I couldn't get her to return a phone call. Fast forward about 6 months and I stumbled on her profile again and emailed her asking what happened. She said I was her last date and she wasn't ready to date then. We ended up going out on a date and have seen each other about once a week since. I'd see her more, but our schedules don't allow for it, and she has a 3 year old daughter who she hasn't decided to introduce me to yet. However, we're exclusive now and its going very well.

Good luck to you and her! I like hearing good stories. Actually, I know quite a few people who have had great success with online dating. While I am still in the scene, I have been in relationships and made meaningful connections along the way. The gentleman I am seeing tonight is a great catch, and we're both very excited.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
I feel for you all.

You would think it would be better and easier with the Internet since you can skip the awkward moment of your friends poking you in the side saying, "Go talk to her!"

I guess not.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I feel for you all.

You would think it would be better and easier with the Internet since you can skip the awkward moment of your friends poking you in the side saying, "Go talk to her!"

I guess not.
Thats what I used to think until I became single again at 40. Nope, its even harder.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
I decided to give Internet dating (OkCupid) another shot. Upon meeting my date, it was glaringly obvious he was a closeted homosexual. (Nothing wrong with being gay, except I want to date a straight man! I even checked his profile after the date to make sure he identified himself as "straight" and I didn't misunderstand.) I deleted my account after this date and have permanently given up on Internet dating. Misery loves company - let's hear your most horrific, terrible, Internet dating stories!
How is that a horrific story?

Old 11-11-2013, 04:10 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I feel for you all.

I guess not.
You'd think, but it's much more difficult because you're scrutinized on every little thing. And God forbid you aren't exactly like what they interpreted your profile to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships