U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM

13,770 posts, read 16,301,571 times

Advertisements

They need to know about reality. No details just general. They will learn it sooner or later anyway and feel cheated that they were misled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 09:40 AM

9 posts, read 9,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
They need to know about reality. No details just general. They will learn it sooner or later anyway and feel cheated that they were misled.
So even if you want them to maintain a relationship with the spouse that cheated, you would tell them what really happened regardles of their age?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,363,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
This is going to be a good one folks!
This! Just taking my seat and handing out popcorn to all.

These types of threads are funny everyone will come here and talk about a cheater in their lives but of course no one on CD is actually the cheater!

Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,018,600 times
No, I don't. Parents should do everything they can to avoid trash-talking the child's other parent, unless said parent is at risk of harming the child due to past abusive behavior or addiction.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:19 AM

5,485 posts, read 6,078,641 times
I think everyone is entitled to handle this type of situation in the way that makes most sense to them. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way to handle it. If I were in this situation, I would make sure my kids were old enough to be able to understand it and tell them what took place in general terms. Im always a big fan of the truth, over made up reasoning in order to spare someones feelings. One thing I would advise anyone against, is telling your kids the details, solely because you want to turn them against the wayward spouse or because of resentment.

And to the poster who said that cheating can somehow be justified by the betrayed spouse not being a good wife or a husband, I completely disagree. If youre in a crappy marriage, chances are the fault belongs to both partners. But whne one steps out and decides to cheat, its 100% their fault.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:21 AM

5,485 posts, read 6,078,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
No, I don't. Parents should do everything they can to avoid trash-talking the child's other parent, unless said parent is at risk of harming the child due to past abusive behavior or addiction.
Truth cannot be considered trash talking. Truth is nothing but the truth.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM

13,770 posts, read 16,301,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trist3616 View Post
So even if you want them to maintain a relationship with the spouse that cheated, you would tell them what really happened regardles of their age?
No, not regardless of their age. They would have to be old enough to comprehend and handle such things. And yes I'd want them to maintain a relationship with the spouse that cheated. I'm sure they would, if they loved that parent. Parents aren't perfect and relationships are still maintained all the time.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:35 AM

5,680 posts, read 5,018,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
Truth cannot be considered trash talking. Truth is nothing but the truth.

Point taken, but I don't think children need to know entire truths about their parents relationship. Forcing them to pick a side, intentionally or not, is transferring your own anger onto your kids. Not cool, IMO.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM

930 posts, read 1,577,700 times
The truth doesn't "force" anyone to "pick a side." The truth is just the truth. The teller is not responsible for how it is used, twisted, etc later on.

Kids are much smarter than you think...if you don't tell them, they will assume THEY did it. The worst reason they can have for their parents' breakup is that its THEM, so if the (painful) truth is that one parent was unfaithful, its better that the kid(s) know rataher than think THEY are to blame.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM

9,009 posts, read 14,215,663 times
I am not against the child knowing what is appropriate for their age and level of understanding.

The question is, how do you tell your child that you and their other parent split or divorced due to the other parent "cheating" without encouraging the child to make a negative judgement on the other parent. Just using the term "cheater" labels that parent as having done something underhanded.

It certainly is not an easy situation with which to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships