Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,573 times

Advertisements

I think it's more of gals expect marriage after a certain time in relationship thinking it is the next step in a relationship no different than guys expect sex after a certain time in dating. I rarely find gals generally feeling anything is owed to them beyond respect...guys on the other hand seem to have quite a lot of entitlements especially in regards to the female body.

Gals initiating two-thirds in divorces doesn't suggest to me they need a lecture in commitment considering that they have committed and were likely eager to and it turned out to be an awful deal as in unhealthy/unhappy and there are limits to commitment. As well as likely guys aren't initiating as much as divorces due to skewed child custody/support laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:56 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,597,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Seriously. People who think it's okay to drive (especially a stick shift) and browse the internet/text/reply on message boards are complete idiots.
Not only that, but people who do so with their children in their car as passengers are endangering the lives of the children. In many states citizens are required by law to report child endangerment when they have knowledge of it. If I knew this poster's real name and location, I'd have reported her already.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 AM

9 posts, read 11,368 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As a woman who doesn’t believe in marriage, I have to say I don't believewomen are owed anything.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]However, if a woman wants to have kids, there is a certain amount of timefor the man to honestly decide if he is in fact going to commit or not. Womencan't produce children their entire lives. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,201 times
I don't think that women feel that they are "owed" marriage. When you're with someone for a certain amount of time and you really love that person -- regardless of how much they have in the bank -- you want to tell the rest of the world.

But there are practical considerations, too. If the person you loved were in a car wreck, wouldn't you want to be the first to know about it? If you had to make painful end-of-life decisions, wouldn't you want someone you knew would carry them out? I know what people will say, "There are contracts for that," but those contracts are easily rendered void you are not someone's primary family member.

And, I hate to break the news, but it's really tough for a single person to live off of a single person's retirement. A lot of people think that they're going to coast on SS, one pension, and Medicare, well, guess again. When you have two people working and contributing to their future, you don't have to worry about living in a one-bedroom efficiency in the crappy part of town eating cat food. (This is, of course, assuming that both people are working and contributing toward a retirement fund.)

Old 11-18-2013, 06:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post

And, I hate to break the news, but it's really tough for a single person to live off of a single person's retirement. A lot of people think that they're going to coast on SS, one pension, and Medicare, well, guess again. When you have two people working and contributing to their future, you don't have to worry about living in a one-bedroom efficiency in the crappy part of town eating cat food. (This is, of course, assuming that both people are working and contributing toward a retirement fund.)

So you want to get married because you don't earn enough to retire the way you'd like to? Gotcha.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 AM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
I don't think that women feel that they are "owed" marriage. When you're with someone for a certain amount of time and you really love that person -- regardless of how much they have in the bank -- you want to tell the rest of the world.

But there are practical considerations, too. If the person you loved were in a car wreck, wouldn't you want to be the first to know about it? If you had to make painful end-of-life decisions, wouldn't you want someone you knew would carry them out? I know what people will say, "There are contracts for that," but those contracts are easily rendered void you are not someone's primary family member.

That should have NOTHING to do with one's wanting to get married. Get yourself in a better place. You are the ONLY one who can.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So you want to get married because you don't earn enough to retire the way you'd like to? Gotcha.
Excuse me -- ? I do make a good income, but I'm realistic to know that my standard of living is going to eventually go way, way down unless I become a part one part of a two-income family.

Once my parents retired and my dad started having bad health issues, I saw just how much they had to shell out each month. Their COL increased exponentially, and their monthly income went down. These were two people who did well when they were working.

I am not saying that this is the sole reason to get married. But people who discount marriage as "just a piece of paper" are delusional. Like it or not, marriage can positively affect one's finances. I read an article recently that stated that the first factor that determines your likelihood to move upward financially is if you have a college education. Falling close second is if you are part of a two-income family.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,023 times
Quote:

Yep, you kind of have to if you have care job and live just above the poverty line AKA working poor. I would have to work for another 40/45 years b4 I can go into retirement. All my company gives you is a 401k that so little and a pen saying thanks at 65 and then a get the F out your fired go live on the streets.

That why going back to college is the most important thing to me right now. On top I can one day stop working and once i meet a girl i can have time to see my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships