Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:46 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,792,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Today a greeter actually told me, "Welcome to (storename)! Have you found the perfect gifts for your significant other?"
Were they attractive? Maybe they were feeling you out and you just missed your window!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,286 times
I don't hate on anyone else's happiness, but I hate being alone for the holidays. Especially New Years Eve for some reason. I have no family out here, and all my close friends out here are in relationships, so they have each other to spend NYE with. My first NYE by myself was devastating! My marriage had just ended, she was out with some other guy that she left me for and I was sitting in a new apartment by myself just miserable, listening to fireworks going off. I don't think I will ever forget that night. Now it isn't as bad, I usually make sure I have movies to watch or whatever, but I won't lie it sucks and every year I keep saying this is going to be the year I find someone to do something with. Still got some time left this year, but it's not looking promising..

Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 PM

643 posts, read 917,425 times
I thought the thread title was "im single and hate christians".. I had a lot to contribute to that thread. not sure about this one though.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,956,730 times
I wish i had the time to read this thread, as it sounds promising. perhaps later.

I donno, This past weekend I bought MYSELF a bunch of things I wanted for xmas.

Tools, movies, games.

Over xmas I will enjoy the time off work and work on some projects. Zip zip!

I'm looking forward to it.
Now, xmas with the right s/o is awesome, but since I don't have that, I'll make the most of things.
Besides, alone is better than xmas with the wrong s/o, and I had that two xmas' ago, and I'm really fine alone if that is the other alternative.

Don't mind me on xmas day, I'll be in the garage working on the car upgrades.
Oh yea, I'm the crazy neighbor in the garage. haha. Even on Xmas

zip zip!

Old 12-02-2013, 03:37 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Believe me, I'm not trying to be discompassionate. (Is that a word? If not, it is now.)

I've had a number of Christmases single. I've also had a few when I was alone--and by that I mean completely alone, in an apartment, just me, no family or friends around. Once was after a break-up of a multi-year relationship, the other was the first Christmas after my divorce.

However, I'm not so bratty and immature as to get annoyed at people who are having a better time of something than I am. That is just narcissism at its finest. The people who fuss and carry on about this kind of thing need to get out of their own heads and go volunteer. It will put things in perspective for them, and it will demonstrate that they have something to offer the world other than relentless self-pity and negativity.
The bolded is me.

This will be my 7th year in a row spending December 25 alone. It doesn't bother me anymore than all the other days since I am not religious and do not celebrate. I'd rather not be alone so much, period. Christmas has nothing to do with it but maybe in some ways it is like an extra reminder.

I've made an extra effort earlier this year to fix this problem to no avail. The multiple rejections on all levels are beyond frustrating and is very disheartening.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,101,719 times
This year was my very first Thanksgiving alone. I thought of it as a day off work, was able to sleep in and then get chores done. There was no way I was going to go to any store on Thanksgiving. I don't like that some folks have to work on a holiday just so someone else can shop. Really?

I don't hate Christmas. But because my breakup still stings, I don't like walking into the store and hearing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

Old 12-02-2013, 06:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
I'll likely be spending Christmas alone. I am just going to stock up on alcohol and play Xbox 360. One good thing about not being religious anymore is that I don't have to go to church and be around all the family stuff.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:32 PM

19 posts, read 37,915 times
[quote=The Dissenter;32460041 One good thing about not being religious anymore is that I don't have to go to church and be around all the family stuff.[/quote]

Your one of the lucky ones........

I do attend church; and it greatly pains me to see the "family stuff" you describe. Perhaps, because I'll most likely never have one.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:01 PM

769 posts, read 976,564 times
This will be the first Christmas that I actually am single in years officially. I was married and spent half the Christmas's alone and the other half at his family's place. Last year I was with the ex-boyfriend and I was dealing with some family issues. He got mad because I was on the phone trying to sort my mentally ill brother's issues out. He told me I wasn't helping with dinner. Um..you have two daughter's who are sitting on their butts doing nothing. They can help.

Instead of spending money on his two bratty teenagers I adopted two kids from the salvation army angel tree.

Last edited by horsechick71; 12-05-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Thompson View Post
Your one of the lucky ones........

I do attend church; and it greatly pains me to see the "family stuff" you describe. Perhaps, because I'll most likely never have one.
Trust me, I hated being a Christian as a childfree person. It made me feel like I didn't matter. Ironically Jesus was never married or a parent and no one gave him about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships