Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM

102,066 posts, read 107,021,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppage View Post
Exactly. I'll never experience mutual sexual attraction.
Wait until you age 20 years, your testosterone is on the downward slump, and "hotness" becomes a lot less important vis-a-vis personality. You'll probably see things differently then, and your luck will not-so-mysteriously change.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:25 PM

52 posts, read 111,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you can not settle for anything less than super attractive, and you are not qualified as super attractive, then you are probably going to remain alone.
When did I say that I'm only attracted to super hot women? Any woman who is in-shape and knows how to apply makeup is attractive to me.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM

377 posts, read 617,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
So your standards are simply too high. You're giving up on all women just because you cannot find one that meets your most likely very high expectations.
Even if his standards weren't high and he was attracted to average/below average women, he would still approximately have the same odds. Unattractive women can almost always at least get with average men for relationships and sex, and many have managed to secure decent/attractive men for long term relationships. Why would any woman in her right mind date an unattractive man no matter how "confident" he is when she can date men who are much better looking with the same amount of confidence and personality, regardless of her individual relative attractiveness? Exactly.

It's common sense that ugly/unattractive men are screwed for the most part unless they manage to strike it rich, then they can get a gold-digger who'll be cheating behind their back with good looking men and waiting ever so impatiently to file for divorce.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Even if his standards weren't high and he was attracted to average/below average women, he would still approximately have the same odds. Unattractive women can almost always at least get with average men for relationships and sex, and many have managed to secure decent/attractive men for long term relationships. Why would any woman in her right mind date an unattractive man no matter how "confident" he is when she can date men who are much better looking with the same amount of confidence and personality, regardless of her individual relative attractiveness? Exactly.

It's common sense that ugly/unattractive men are screwed for the most part unless they manage to strike it rich, then they can get a gold-digger who'll be cheating behind their back with good looking men and waiting ever so impatiently to file for divorce.
How did all the married ugly/unattractive men manage to get married, then? There's so much more to life than physical appearance.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,081,248 times
I still can't grasp how people can think that relationships are so one dimensional or that there are only 1 or 2 things that attraction is based on.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:08 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,014,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How did all the married ugly/unattractive men manage to get married, then? There's so much more to life than physical appearance.
I don't get any of this. As if all couples are solely attractive people. There are lots of women (and people in general) who don't value physical appearance as much as much as is believed.

Compensate, work on what you can improve and don't focus on the negative. Again lots of women do not care about looks!

Old 11-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The fact most people historically get married (which is actually not true anymore, seeing as marriage rates are plummeting and only a little over 50% of U.S adults are married), does not contradict what I stated. Back in the days before the sex revolution and most women stayed at home, being a provider was more than enough to attract a woman for marriage. Now since women are working and earning their own, it has been dismissed as a useless quality and looks take the number one priority.

Also, marriage is on its way out to the dustbin of history given the current trends. It won't at all be surprising if we return to the harems of old, seeing as monogamy itself is simply a man-made construct and biologically we are polygamous like most other species.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
The fact most people historically get married (which is actually not true anymore, seeing as marriage rates are plummeting and only a little over 50% of U.S adults are married), does not contradict what I stated. Back in the days before the sex revolution and most women stayed at home, being a provider was more than enough to attract a woman for marriage. Now since women are working and earning their own, it has been dismissed as a useless quality and looks take the number one priority.

Also, marriage is on its way out to the dustbin of history given the current trends. It won't at all be surprising if we return to the harems of old, seeing as monogamy itself is simply a man-made construct and biologically we are polygamous like most other species.
This by no means answers my question. If looks take the number one priority, how did all the ugly/unattractive guys who are married manage to get that way?

When the provider role is no longer needed, personality and mutual caring play a much greater role. When women needed a provider, marriage was more of a business transaction, a negotiation, an "arrangement". Marrying for love happened a lot less than it does now.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
This by no means answers my question. If looks take the number one priority, how did all the ugly/unattractive guys who are married manage to get that way?
How do you know they are? Most guys are simply not unattractive or attractive, but average (since that's the definition of average). I posted data that shows barely 50% of American adults are married, which yields a very high probability that the vast majority of ugly men aren't getting married (this is simply common sense). Once again, as I stated before, it was much easier for an ugly/unattractive man to get married in the 70s and even 80s than it is today.

Quote:
When the provider role is no longer needed, personality and mutual caring play a much greater role. When women needed a provider, marriage was more of a business transaction, a negotiation, an "arrangement". Marrying for love happened a lot less than it does now.
Personality may matter for marriage, yes, but not before at least a minimum baseline of looks is reached. For most women, this baseline is set at the average, which is why most average men end up getting married. Also, explain the phenomenon of "love at first sight", if personality mattered a lot more than looks as you claim? How can you even gauge a man's personality in the first few seconds that you see him?

Old 11-16-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
How do you know they are? Most guys are simply not unattractive or attractive, but average (since that's the definition of average). I posted data that shows barely 50% of American adults are married, which yields a very high probability that the vast majority of ugly men aren't getting married (this is simply common sense). Once again, as I stated before, it was much easier for an ugly/unattractive man to get married in the 70s and even 80s than it is today.
All you have to do is look around and see that there are unattractive guys paired up with women. We've had several threads on this topic. Besides, one person's "unattractive" or "ugly" is another person's "cute" or "quirky". There are a lot of good-looking guys who aren't able to pair up, too.

Who said anything about "love at first sight"? Many couples meet through mutually-enjoyed activities or friends (parties, socializing), where they have a chance to get to know each other before deciding there's mutual interest. That type of scenario is to the below-average guys' advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships