Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 AM

21 posts, read 22,645 times

Advertisements

Hi. This is my first post. I finally, after being a lurker for many years, decided to post.

I started a new job. I am professional, don't dress provocatively, don't flirt, nothing like that. There is a married guy who calls me for the most ridiculous things - things he could easily find himself... He's worked here for more than 8 years. Yesterday, he came to my office, dressed very professionally, but fishing for compliments on how he's was dressed...(really? Gimme a break) He delivered a document to me that he could have scanned via email. Anyway, he was about to ask me out, and I brought up his wife... So he dropped it all together.

What is it with these married men? I'm single, but I find it very insulting that a man would think I would go out with him if he's married. This isn't the first time this has happened to mean a work situation. I never will date a married man. I've seen first hand the consequences of that behavior. My dad left my mom for a girl he met on his job, who could be my sister. But that's another story for another time. Needless to say, I never want to anything like HER.

Please help me understand this. I'm looking for honesty. Why do married men do this? It scares me as a single woman. Will my future husband pull this crap? Any honest advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:29 AM

448 posts, read 763,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapapillon View Post
Hi. This is my first post. I finally, after being a lurker for many years, decided to post.

I started a new job. I am professional, don't dress provocatively, don't flirt, nothing like that. There is a married guy who calls me for the most ridiculous things - things he could easily find himself... He's worked here for more than 8 years. Yesterday, he came to my office, dressed very professionally, but fishing for compliments on how he's was dressed...(really? Gimme a break) He delivered a document to me that he could have scanned via email. Anyway, he was about to ask me out, and I brought up his wife... So he dropped it all together.

What is it with these married men? I'm single, but I find it very insulting that a man would think I would go out with him if he's married. This isn't the first time this has happened to mean a work situation. I never will date a married man. I've seen first hand the consequences of that behavior. My dad left my mom for a girl he met on his job, who could be my sister. But that's another story for another time. Needless to say, I never want to anything like HER.

Please help me understand this. I'm looking for honesty. Why do married men do this? It scares me as a single woman. Will my future husband pull this crap? Any honest advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
Are you sure he was actually going to ask you out or are you just being full of yourself?

Even if he's being flirty (which I doubt) then he's probably just doing it for the hell of it. More likely he's just trying to be nice to the new girl (you) and you're reading into it too much.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 AM

11,394 posts, read 24,438,947 times
How do you know he was about to ask you out?

(I see I posted the same as the previous poster)

Not all men are that way. What's your job title anyway? Are you the admin? Stop being paranoid for one thing. If you believe half the stuff written on this forum, you're likely to have the wrong impression.

Even if someone (next time it may be a woman) seems to be flirting with you, just be friendly but don't encourage anything except professional behavior. It's meant to be a compliment and usually is the way a fellow employee tries to get on your good side so they can rely on your assistance in the future.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
You did ok, bringing up this jerks wife will give him pause in his game playing. There is no way to explain this other than some ppl are just jerks. You are on the right track...stay the course. Anyone that you get involved with in the future, should have the same moral conduct....seek that type person out. Good for you for being a good person!! PS...if this guy gets even worse and more obvious..a trip to HR might be in order.
I see there are a few blasting you and insulting you....You know the type...Hang in there.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:34 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,249,772 times
Quote:
Why do married men do this?
same reason married women do it.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
natures candy.....isnt raisins

Old 11-16-2013, 06:44 AM

Full of myself? Sigh.

He said to me, "are you hungry? I am... How about dinner?" I interrupted his next sentence by talking about his wife. He's talked about my eyes, my smile. He wanted to know if I'd be interested in doing a presentation with him out of state. I barely know my own job. I've been here for 6 weeks. I'm not reading too much into anything.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 AM

448 posts, read 763,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You did ok, bringing up this jerks wife will give him pause in his game playing. There is no way to explain this other than some ppl are just jerks. You are on the right track...stay the course. Anyone that you get involved with in the future, should have the same moral conduct....seek that type person out. Good for you for being a good person!! PS...if this guy gets even worse and more obvious..a trip to HR might be in order.
I see there are a few blasting you and insulting you....You know the type...Hang in there.
I don't think its to this point yet though.

If he was calling her cute, talking to her often outside of work, trying to get her number etc. then that's time to take some action and maybe a quick talk to him about how she feels about this would be in order. Otherwise I'd say its nothing to worry about.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
How do you know he was about to ask you out?

(I see I posted the same as the previous poster)

Not all men are that way. What's your job title anyway? Are you the admin? Stop being paranoid for one thing. If you believe half the stuff written on this forum, you're likely to have the wrong impression.

Even if someone (next time it may be a woman) seems to be flirting with you, just be friendly but don't encourage anything except professional behavior. It's meant to be a compliment and usually is the way a fellow employee tries to get on your good side so they can rely on your assistance in the future.
No, I'm not an admin. We are both managers.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:49 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Please help me understand this. I'm looking for honesty. Why do married men do this? It scares me as a single woman. Any honest advice on how I can avoid this in the future would be appreciated.
Why do married men do this? Some men just like to throw their line in the pond to see if they can get lucky. When new women come into their workplace or social sphere they're fair game to these types of men. These guys fail repeatedly, but even if they only score one time in a thousand, they consider it a win. When this happened to me the married man told me, "A guy's gotta try." You need to be very clear and firm with men like this by saying something like, "I will never go out with a married man. I saw how that behavior devastated my family." If you aren't firm or leave any opening they'll continue to pursue.

Will my future husband pull this crap? Not if you choose wisely. It is scary, but you've got this. Be firm and if that doesn't work tell him you will be going to hr to file a complaint if it happens again. That usually works. Best wishes and stay the course. There are lots of decent men out there who'd love to meet a nice woman with values and integrity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships