Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewC7 View Post
I think I'm just going to play with her..not in a mean way but just text her back without caring. Might get a little weird.
No need to play games. If you're genuinely interested in forging a friendship, then grow up and do so. If not, explain it to her and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 AM

231 posts, read 294,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah2 View Post
No need to play games. If you're genuinely interested in forging a friendship, then grow up and do so. If not, explain it to her and move on.
It has nothing to do with growing up. Pretending to be friends with someone you're attracted to is a bad idea across the board.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Long story short we had been seeing each other for a little over a month and she dumped me before our 4th date. She told me that she was only interested in pursing a friendship. I talked to her off and on for a couple months after the fact. I then realized that our “friendship” was pointless and painful for me so I stopped initiating contact. Then after three months of silence, out of the blue she sent me a message saying that she wanted to talk and make sure that we’re on good terms.

I was pretty bitter after she dumped me..we went on three dates, she let me kiss her & then flaked and went cold. I kind of felt like she led me on. Now that she’s contacted me some of these feelings are starting to come back. I’m really not interested in being on good terms. My idea of ‘Good terms’ is different from hers.

Should I writer her back:

"I'm not on bad terms with you, It just wasn't working for me."

Or should I just ignore her?

I'm afraid that first option might make me look desperate/needy? Right Now I'm thinking ignoring would be the way to go. What do you think?
You're going to get slammed by a bunch of people who don't understand this and expect you to look out for others over yourself, but I feel you have every right to abandon this friendship, just as long as you do it in a polite way. You can either write to her the way you noted above or ignore her. Either is acceptable. It's your choice, whatever works best for you. She will get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I'm gonna have to second this.
And I third it.

Last edited by srjth; 11-17-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 11:47 AM

348 posts, read 549,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
I think this letter sounds INCREDIBLY desperate and needy. It comes across like he sat around forever trying to write out 50 drafts into one that sounded purposefully casual when the fact that he's putting all these weird statements in there of how "not personal" it is all but screams that it's very personal.

IF he needs to say something at all, he should answer with a quick, "Hey, got your note. Sorry, things have been busy. Hope you are well," and that's it. No more contact or responses after that.

Honestly though, the best way to show "I am busy" is to simply be too busy to write back. After all, she was too busy to write for 3 months too. And the OP has been honest that he does not want a friendship with this girl. He wants to date her and she doesn't want him. Therefore, there's really no point in statements like "friendship works both ways" because even if she suddenly started making more friendly gestures, he's still in the same boat. He doesn't want to be only her friend.

The problem here is that the real thing OP is searching for is some magical thing he can write, do, or say that will cause this girl to magically change her mind and suddenly want to date him, and that just isn't going to happen.

OP needs to learn how to move on.
100% agree. I especially agree with your statement of how the letter tries to appear casual but screams very personal.

Upon reflection, I also think that your idea for a response is very good too, better than mine.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
This is your fault

Old 11-17-2013, 12:00 PM

324 posts, read 441,066 times
Hmm bro..where do I start ? .. I say just drop it . She wants to know if the friendship is OK ? Tell her its OK and leave it at that ! It was 3 dates .. not 3 months or 3 years. You'll live..

Dont try to play mind games , if you Dont care you surely wouldn't be bothered by it. But you started a thread and even say it out how your gonna respond with out care shows that you do, and it will only hurt more if you try to do that ( speaking from experience ) just Be cool and live on your life man !! Its a big world live long and prosper ..(\(Y)

Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
This is your fault
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdav View Post
Hmm bro..where do I start ? .. I say just drop it . She wants to know if the friendship is OK ? Tell her its OK and leave it at that ! It was 3 dates .. not 3 months or 3 years. You'll live..
It was 2 months..kind of, we went home for winter break and kept talking before our 3rd date. Long enough at least..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Long story short we had been seeing each other for a little over a month and she dumped me before our 4th date. She told me that she was only interested in pursing a friendship. I talked to her off and on for a couple months after the fact. I then realized that our “friendship” was pointless and painful for me so I stopped initiating contact. Then after three months of silence, out of the blue she sent me a message saying that she wanted to talk and make sure that we’re on good terms.

I was pretty bitter after she dumped me..we went on three dates, she let me kiss her & then flaked and went cold. I kind of felt like she led me on. Now that she’s contacted me some of these feelings are starting to come back. I’m really not interested in being on good terms. My idea of ‘Good terms’ is different from hers.

Should I writer her back:

"I'm not on bad terms with you, It just wasn't working for me."

Or should I just ignore her?

I'm afraid that first option might make me look desperate/needy? Right Now I'm thinking ignoring would be the way to go. What do you think?
Cut her loose and spare the pain as you are wanting more from this than she is willing to offer. It's not the first time two people have stopped contacting each other because of lack of chemistry and it won't be the last.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:29 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with growing up. Pretending to be friends with someone you're attracted to is a bad idea across the board.
This is starting to sound like something which needs to be reviewed by the Supreme Court - Geez. Don't even respond to it at all. Hell, you could leave your options open then for some kind of future connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships