Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I don't think it's easier for anyone as they get older... men or women. The only way it gets easier to meet people is if you put effort into it. You can't just sit around and magically expect women to come to your door (or men to come to your door... but the Op is a man looking for women). It won't happen. And in a lot of ways, when you are older, it's harder to find single people your age. In high school and college you are surrounded by people your own age, most of whom are single. But when you get out into the post-college world it's a mix of ages, availability, etc. All those available women your age are still there, but it's hard to see them in the crowd.
I think you may be misunderstanding the OP's point (or the others in this this thread). We're not saying it's easier to MEET women as you get older, that's clearly harder for me post-college (though online dating helped a whole lot). I mean, it's hard to meet people in general. But what we're saying is, once you do get to the going-on-a-date stage, it's easier for many of us men now than it was in our 20's. I have a woman's undivided attention when she's 30+ years old like I never really had when she was 25.

An example I would use is humor. I think I'm a funny guy, but I've never made a girl laugh who didn't WANT to laugh already, they were in the mood to laugh (and physical attraction plays a role in this "mood"). This relates to dating as women are now in the mood to accept a guy's qualities that weren't sought after much in their 20's. But as others have said, you still need to be the kind of guy that a woman wants, that takes work not just a change in age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:15 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I think you may be misunderstanding the OP's point (or the others in this this thread). We're not saying it's easier to MEET women as you get older, that's clearly harder for me post-college (though online dating helped a whole lot). I mean, it's hard to meet people in general. But what we're saying is, once you do get to the going-on-a-date stage, it's easier for many of us men now than it was in our 20's. I have a woman's undivided attention when she's 30+ years old like I never really had when she was 25.

An example I would use is humor. I think I'm a funny guy, but I've never made a girl laugh who didn't WANT to laugh already, they were in the mood to laugh (and physical attraction plays a role in this "mood"). This relates to dating as women are now in the mood to accept a guy's qualities that weren't sought after much in their 20's. But as others have said, you still need to be the kind of guy that a woman wants, that takes work not just a change in age.
Ah, okay. I get what you are saying and I think you are right. I think a lot of women are immature in their 20s (at least, now-a-days anyway... it's like in not all, but a lot of cases, a person's 20s is just an extension of their teen years. And that goes for both men and women). So that might play a factor in it (women, when they mature relationship-wise finally wake up and smell the coffee on what makes a good man a good man).

I am kind of removed from first hand experience this whole topic (being I am not a man, so I don't know the challenges 20 or 30 something year-old men face). I just wanted to give the OP a little hope.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
The OP is struggling mightily to obtain what he feels he's missing in his life. He believes himself to be a KnowerOfThings, yet he spends far too much time lamenting his various troubles online, probably while listening to TheSoundofMuzak. Not only is he trying to find a relationship, no doubt so that he can resolve his state of Floppage, but he seeks a more fulfilling career. Difficult goals for one who was once AStalkingButler. Try as he might, he fails to see that his attitudes are what keeps him from realizing the GlitteringPrizes he yearns for.

And there is still no way to work CodeViolationMcEnroe into a paragraph....

Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
it doesn't get easier as the remaining available women tend to be either damaged goods or headcases

Old 11-23-2013, 11:55 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
it doesn't get easier as the remaining available women tend to be either damaged goods or headcases
This is very true from my experience and observation.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:59 AM

328 posts, read 466,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I'm not convinced that the dating game gets easier for men when they get to their late 20's and early 30's. The usual mantra is that it does because at that point in time "men are established in decent careers and women's looks are on the decline." The first part may have been true in an earlier day and age, but my generation is one where women hold more college degrees and are outpacing men in terms of career advancement. Since women want a guy at least on par with them in professional success, fewer men make the cut. And while women may decline in looks, so do a lot of guys, who bald, for example. I think there is a widening gap between the men who get women, and the loser men. A smaller and smaller proportion of men are gaining the monopoly on the above-average women. It's not enough to be a decent looking guy with a decent career.

Discuss.
Why on Earth would you label men who don't get women "loser men"? Have you created a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 PM

328 posts, read 466,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
The OP is struggling mightily to obtain what he feels he's missing in his life. He believes himself to be a KnowerOfThings, yet he spends far too much time lamenting his various troubles online, probably while listening to TheSoundofMuzak. Not only is he trying to find a relationship, no doubt so that he can resolve his state of Floppage, but he seeks a more fulfilling career. Difficult goals for one who was once AStalkingButler. Try as he might, he fails to see that his attitudes are what keeps him from realizing the GlitteringPrizes he yearns for.

So much win...Alas I am a noob and cannot give you props so here is a e-fist bump...*

Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post

And here we go again. Banned poster coming back for more and more and more.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:14 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
And the woman you are dating now...which is she? And does this go for single men too, such as yourself?

I'm sorry, but I am just so glad I don't live in your world, where single people in their 30s are "damaged goods or headcases." Sad.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
And the woman you are dating now...which is she? And does this go for single men too, such as yourself?

I'm sorry, but I am just so glad I don't live in your world, where single people in their 30s are "damaged goods or headcases." Sad.
Im not dating anyone , I got dumped today , apparently she,s not over the married guy she had a relationship with for eight months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships