Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 09:51 AM

347 posts, read 491,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The only problem with that statement is there are TONS of paranoid people out there.
True.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 AM

From these posts, looks like there is a lot of cheating going on.

The stats say that in america 6 out of 10 marriages end in divorce.

I am sure that infidelity played a big part, and that some even stayed in the marriage even when they learned of infidelity.

Were we all meant to be monogomous?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post

I am sure that infidelity played a big part, and that some even stayed in the marriage even when they learned of infidelity.

First off, some of the relationships were already dead. If you are in a situation where you being abused at home, but cannot leave your partner because you are too poor or the court system will rape you, then a lot of people would cheat.

But apart from that, there are people who cheat due to other reasons. That is not because humans are not meant to be monogomous, but becacause they lack respect for other people, including their partner.

Just listen to radio programs who catch cheaters, and you will notice their lack of respect for their partner. When caught they don't apalogise, but start blaming their partners, calling them bad in bed or say they are bored.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Unless you are a paranoid person, the surest sign someone is cheating on you is that you suspect them. People who suspect cheating are rarely wrong. In fact, when the truth finally comes out, they usually find out the cheating was FAR worse then they ever suspected.
I think there is a lot of truth to this. Yes, some people are crazy and suspect everyone, but for normal people I think a lot of times if you have to even ask yourself those kind of questions then something is wrong. I had a solid gut feeling he was cheating, but I denied my feelings for a long time because I really did want to believe his excuses. For me, the signs were sometimes vague but they were there. His phone was top secret. I mean he even took it to the bathroom. And a lot of times he was short on details about when he went out. Does it really take 3 hours to go to the gym? Oh, he had to stop by work for awhile...yeah right.

There is NO excuse for cheating. If you're unhappy, just exit the relationship. Lying and sneaking around behind someone's back is despicable.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post

There's already a thread on monogamy in humans.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
When you come home unexpectedly early from work one day and you hear bedsprings creaking upstairs and her shrieking, "Yes! Yes! Plow me like an Iowa cornfield with that throbbing man sausage of yours."

That's usually a pretty good indicator.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,843 times
One of my co-workers found out the guy she's been dating for the past month is on an online dating site and still checks in. She says she went in to delete her account after they started getting "serious" and saw him online. Now she just checks and he's online every day... so there's an indicator for you. Although she still seems to think he might have a good reason to be online. I don't think it's going to last... with her snooping and his "looking around."

By the way, 60% of marriages don't end in divorce. The figure is based on a simple - and flawed - calculation made in a newspaper article. People repeat it all time like it's truth and have been for 30 years. Here's how they made the mistake. In a given year, 2003 for example, there were 7.5 marriages per 1,000 people and 3.8 divorces, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.But researchers say that this is misleading because the people who are divorcing in any given year are not the same as those who are marrying, and that the statistic is virtually useless in understanding divorce rates.

The method used by social scientists in determining the divorce rate is to calculate how many people who have ever married subsequently divorced. Counted that way, the rate peaked at 41 percent (at its height in the 1970s). And it's been going down since. Then again, less people are getting married too.

That said, my Ex husband cheated and left me... so yeah, I'd say it has a bearing in divorce rates.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
One of my co-workers found out the guy she's been dating for the past month is on an online dating site and still checks in. She says she went in to delete her account after they started getting "serious" and saw him online. Now she just checks and he's online every day... so there's an indicator for you. Although she still seems to think he might have a good reason to be online. I don't think it's going to last... with her snooping and his "looking around."

If its OKC, that seems to be the norm. People even often say right in the profile I'm seeing someone but keep active on here for meeting friends or answering questions/taking tests.

Not sure I'd be down with that myself.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,628,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The condom supply is diminishing and you're not having that much sex with them.
Hahaha this was a good one.

OP - you can't really know. You just can't know for sure. So there are no "real" signs, unless the other person didn't invest enough effort to hide the tracks, or due to chance. So I'd suggest that you stop seeking for "silver bullet".

But on the other hand, most folks often don't invest terribly much effort to hide the tracks and can be busted by their change of behavior or how they react to some situations.
But the thing is that they might not even think that they are "cheating" on you or anything, they often have an "answer" for their behavior, even though you'd never agree with it. People are increasingly thinking of themselves and thus they'll make up any excuse for themselves if they want to do something. This can impair the ability to read through the deception, because if they are convinced that it's okay to act like that they'll be less likely to do anything to out themselves while sleeping with someone else on the side.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post

By the way, 60% of marriages don't end in divorce. The figure is based on a simple - and flawed - calculation made in a newspaper article. People repeat it all time like it's truth and have been for 30 years. Here's how they made the mistake. In a given year, 2003 for example, there were 7.5 marriages per 1,000 people and 3.8 divorces, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.But researchers say that this is misleading because the people who are divorcing in any given year are not the same as those who are marrying, and that the statistic is virtually useless in understanding divorce rates.

The method used by social scientists in determining the divorce rate is to calculate how many people who have ever married subsequently divorced. Counted that way, the rate peaked at 41 percent (at its height in the 1970s). And it's been going down since. Then again, less people are getting married too.

That said, my Ex husband cheated and left me... so yeah, I'd say it has a bearing in divorce rates.
Whoa...thanks for that candid admission and the stats...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships