U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 PM

706 posts, read 684,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Marriage rates have been declining, though I have not read any of the direct data, just the interpretation once it gets to the media.

Just because less people are getting married does not mean any one sex is boycotting it. There is just less financial and societal reasons for marriage.
Really? There is a book called 'Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters [Helen Smith]' that discusses this topic, there are countless blog posts on the same subject, there are many forum posts of men who state this as well as those calling for others to boycott.

Then you have the herbivore movement in japan that the government are concerned about. Reports on the herbivores seems to focus on the men but I have seen a significant percentage of women who were surveyed state their lack of interest as well.

Asocial phenomenon in Japan of men who shun marriage and / or gaining a girlfriend
Quote:
As of September 2010, 36% of Japanese men between the ages of 16 and 19 perceived themselves in this way. Additionally, two surveys of single men in their 20s and 30s found that 61% and 70%, respectively, considered themselves 'grass-eating' men. This phenomenon is viewed by the Japanese government as a leading cause in the nation's declining birth rate, prompting the government to provide incentives for couples that have children, including payouts and free health care.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,006,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghow View Post
Really? There is a book called 'Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters [Helen Smith]' that discusses this topic, there are countless blog posts on the same subject, there are many forum posts of men who state this as well as those calling for others to boycott.

Then you have the herbivore movement in japan that the government are concerned about. Reports on the herbivores seems to focus on the men but I have seen a significant percentage of women who were surveyed state their lack of interest as well.

Asocial phenomenon in Japan of men who shun marriage and / or gaining a girlfriend
I'm a woman and I am boycotting marriage too. So maybe it will all even out since not all men are boycotting. Heck, my cousin just got engaged today! Let the people who want to get married, married. I really don't think they care about what the rest of us do.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,297,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rationalmale18 View Post
It's not sexist, but women want commitment and security. If you're not willing to give that to them, then you must be an insecure man child with women issues.
So a man who chooses to be single and childless is a man child? Do you think getting married is something every man has to do?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 7,168,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
So a man who chooses to be single and childless is a man child? Do you think getting married is something every man has to do?
I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:43 AM

305 posts, read 327,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princewilla View Post
I have been accused as one just because i mentioned some interesting statistics about marriage and child custody laws and suicide rates of divorced men and women and many more things with sources Being raised in a family where i have never witnessed a single happy marriage and exposed to bitter fights between my aunt and uncle, how can one expect to be positive about love and romance ?My friends often wonder why i remain so distant from girls in college but there are some things which you cannot share it with anyone. Not even in the internet anonymously. I am a class topper and want to devote my life helping poor people. I feel like this is only thing which would make me happy. Sidenote: I would prefer less angry responses as i am fed up of justifying my character to some people.��Cheers��
That's totally cool. Since the divorce rate is so high, more people should take that route. f the haters.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 9,453,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I'm a woman and I am boycotting marriage too. So maybe it will all even out since not all men are boycotting. Heck, my cousin just got engaged today! Let the people who want to get married, married. I really don't think they care about what the rest of us do.
Exactly! If you don't want to get married, then don't! It's not anything you have to choose in this lifetime, and how other people choose to live their lives should have no bearing on what you choose to do.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 PM

3,795 posts, read 4,113,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mghow View Post
Meh. So somebody figured out an angle to sell a book and a few guys online who are lacking in communication skills with women are writing blogs pretending that their abstinence is their own choice. This is hardly empirical evidence by any standard.

Both men and women are choosing to marry later in life than in the past, and a higher percentage of both men and women are choosing not to marry than in the past. This has to do with marriage no longer being an economic or social requirement for as many people as it used to be, not any attempted boycott by a handful of nerds of one gender on the internet.

Boycotts are social movements intended to have some consequence. Marriage is a choice individuals make, that only impacts them. Choosing to get married or not get married is a personal choice, not a social movement.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM

39,074 posts, read 24,662,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Meh. So somebody figured out an angle to sell a book and a few guys online who are lacking in communication skills with women are writing blogs pretending that their abstinence is their own choice. This is hardly empirical evidence by any standard.

Both men and women are choosing to marry later in life than in the past, and a higher percentage of both men and women are choosing not to marry than in the past. This has to do with marriage no longer being an economic or social requirement for as many people as it used to be, not any attempted boycott by a handful of nerds of one gender on the internet.

Boycotts are social movements intended to have some consequence. Marriage is a choice individuals make, that only impacts them. Choosing to get married or not get married is a personal choice, not a social movement.
Thank you. You saved me from having to respond, and you did a much better job than I would have.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,741,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Congrats on your boycott.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.