Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 47,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, I am 50% Japanese 25% Hawaiian 25% white. If somebody don't like me because of my race (I cannot even figure out what race that I belong to), it is THEIR problem, not mine.

You can't fix racism, you can only change your own mindset and reaction. Simple solution.
I do agree with you. However, when such things are pointed out if people dismiss my claims as saying they don't exist or aren't possible when we come across multiple instances of minorities like me being stereotyped everywhere(TVs, movies, jobs, social life) etc etc that amounts to ignoring the situation and in fact justifying the racist treatment perpetrated against such individuals, something of that sort that's being projected by a particular poster here who sent me a rather nasty direct message, someone who conveniently thinks that any sort of racial prejudice directed against me is actually non existent and hence justifiable. It's those kind of bigots that are bothered by my posts.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokedindc View Post
I do agree with you. However, when such things are pointed out if people dismiss my claims as saying they don't exist or aren't possible when we come across multiple instances of minorities like me being stereotyped everywhere(TVs, movies, jobs, social life) etc etc that amounts to ignoring the situation and in fact justifying the racist treatment perpetrated against such individuals, something of that sort that's being projected by a particular poster here who sent me a rather nasty direct message, someone who conveniently thinks that any sort of racial prejudice directed against me is actually non existent and hence justifiable. It's those kind of bigots that are bothered by my posts.
It seems to me that you admire and adore European culture and European women, I'd relocate if I were you. (I am not saying this to be sarcastic, I am being serious.)

Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
I'm going to jump in here and agree that you do seem pissed. You do realize that most Americans had little or nothing to do with stealing anyone's land or indulging in mass genocide, right? Case in point - I'm a white American male, but both sides of my family came over from Ireland much later than what you referred to above.

I've never met you so I can't really judge you based on some posts on an internet forum, but if I were to meet you on the streets in Charlotte or anywhere else, I would form my opinion of you partly based on how you related to me. If you're nice to me, I'm nice to you. If you're a dick to me, then I'm not going to be nice back.

That being said, I can't discount the experiences you've had here. I'm sure people have stereotyped you negatively based on what you've shared here, so I can't say I wouldn't be defensive if I walked in your shoes.

There are idiots everywhere - but don't fall into thinking that all Americans are like the ones who have negatively stereotyped you. That simply isn't the case.
You have been very kind and I thank you for that. I have indeed faced many such negative experiences in the USA which gradually changed me into the person that I am today who's extremely cautious and defensive esp. around new people. I wasn't like that in the past since I had a different impression of the USA but as soon as the reality of the nation and the people of the USA set in, I changed gradually. That however doesn't mean that I don't have any friends here or I fail to recognize people like you who are worthy of respect when I see one, it's just that the overall mindset of mine has become rather negative in the face of constant hostility, ethnic stereotyping that's perpetrated against people like me. I do understand the believe that not all Americans are the ones that negatively stereotyped me, an overwhelming majority might be but not all.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It seems to me that you admire and adore European culture and European women, I'd relocate if I were you. (I am not saying this to be sarcastic, I am being serious.)
Relocate and do what? I have traveled to Europe many times including this year in March. I have friends from Europe the majority of who are German and that includes a lot of German women as well. Germans are well cultured, hold respect towards family values and respect people that take an active interest in their culture. Coming from a background where I learnt Sanskrit when I was a child, it didn't take much effort on my part to understand and learn fluent German(German is a lot closer to Sanskrit than English or any other European language). I have also seen Switzerland, The Netherlands and Belgium so it's true that I do love Europe and the experiences and friendships I have made there. I would gladly move to Germany if I had a job offer there, but I am forced to live in the USA just because I have a job and well paying one at that. If I had the same job in Germany I would be out of this hateful nation very soon.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Relocate and do what? I have traveled to Europe many times including this year in March. I have friends from Europe the majority of who are German and that includes a lot of German women as well. Germans are well cultured, hold respect towards family values and respect people that take an active interest in their culture. Coming from a background where I learnt Sanskrit when I was a child, it didn't take much effort on my part to understand and learn fluent German(German is a lot closer to Sanskrit than English or any other European language). I have also seen Switzerland, The Netherlands and Belgium so it's true that I do love Europe and the experiences and friendships I have made there. I would gladly move to Germany if I had a job offer there, but I am forced to live in the USA just because I have a job and well paying one at that. If I had the same job in Germany I would be out of this hateful nation very soon.
I've been to Germany many many times (I am part German) I don't mean to sound like a you know what, but I don't think Germany is a country for immigrants. Grass is not ALWAYS greener on the other side.

Let's not pretend you are "forced" to live here. Nobody is forced to do anything if they don't want to do.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I've been to Germany many many times (I am part German) I don't mean to sound like a you know what, but I don't think Germany is a country for immigrants. Grass is not ALWAYS greener on the other side.

Let's not pretend you are "forced" to live here. Nobody is forced to do anything if they don't want to do.
Forced as in I have a career which I have to think of. I have done an MBA and am paying off my loans for now, what happens to all that? I have a few real estate ventures I have made investments into which I am paying off slowly to secure my future and to plan ahead. All that is possible because of my job which I have in the USA, I like my workplace, colleagues and like working here since I am able to set something up for my future. The price I pay is to totally forgo my social life and have no social life whatsoever in this nation, so yes I am forcing myself against my own will to live here to enhance my career and future. Regarding your experience in Germany, I beg to disagree but we can agree to disagree on our personal experiences I guess.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Forced as in I have a career which I have to think of. I have done an MBA and am paying off my loans for now, what happens to all that? I have a few real estate ventures I have made investments into which I am paying off slowly to secure my future and to plan ahead. All that is possible because of my job which I have in the USA, I like my workplace, colleagues and like working here since I am able to set something up for my future. The price I pay is to totally forgo my social life and have no social life whatsoever in this nation, so yes I am forcing myself against my own will to live here to enhance my career and future. Regarding your experience in Germany, I beg to disagree but we can agree to disagree on our personal experiences I guess.
You and many immigrants moved to this great country for personal gain. How sad!! America should really evaluate foreign policy and immigrants policy.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You and many immigrants moved to this great country for personal gain.
So? Does that mean they have to be looked down upon and discriminated against socially for being immigrants? Doesn't seem like you look too favorably upon people that move here to better their lives, which I am sure your ancestors have done themselves. Typical American behavior.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So? Does that mean they have to be looked down upon and discriminated against socially for being immigrants? Doesn't seem like you look too favorably upon people that move here to better their lives, which I am sure your ancestors have done themselves. Typical American behavior.
meh. America should really evaluate foreign policy and immigration policy. Current immigration policy only harbors hatred. How sad!

Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
meh. America should really evaluate foreign policy and immigration policy. Current immigration policy only harbors hatred. How sad!
Why don't you advise Hillary Clinton about it, or even better run for the senate seat yourself? Americans should perhaps re-evaluating their false pretentiousness and high handed behavior towards immigrants, even those that are highly educated and contribute positively to their economy, both of which I am.Inspite of that, if someone like me has been a victim of racial prejudice and negative stereotypes it's because of my race and the negative stereotypes American media attributes to people like me. You should perhaps focus your fight on making aware your fellow Americans to judge people as individuals rather than slot them as mere caricatures based on media perpetrated stereotypes. But then I don't think Americans are ever capable of that, seeing what I have seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships