Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I feel like if someone has to resort to using online dating then their dignity is greatly diminished. It means that a person has a fundamental flaw that inhibits them from properly communicating with the opposite sex in the real world.
Does it now? Why? Because you say so? Or because of some actual valid reasoning that you can lay out for us to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
thats pretty closed minded of you. online dating no longer has a stigma, its very mainstream. i think i recently heard something like 30 to 40% of people now days meet online so apparently a good portion of the population has something wrong with them.

once you get past your mid 20s or so life gets busy, your circle of friends gets smaller, if you work in an office with all male or all older people when do you meet the opposite sex outside of your daily stuff? at bars? yeah bars are a great place to meet people lol. ill take online dating over bars anyday.

i really like online dating. its not all about finding the love of my life for me but meeting new friends, adding people to my social circle. i wind up meeting people i would probably have never met in everyday life.

also say i approach some women in a bar or on the street and take her out on a date. all i know about her is that i find her attractive. with online dating i can get to know her interests, personality, how we vibe together to an extent via conversation. i can decide to an extent if were a good fit before i waste several hours and money on a date with her to discover after 5 minutes its not gona work.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is an interesting point. Just curious: would you even be interested in someone foolish enough (and rude enough) to make a comment like this? Do you automatically delete these ones?

You say online is your only option since you don't work around women. Have you ever tried joining activity groups, volunteering, etc. to try to meet women? I hear that's one way people meet in Sweden.
Most activities I've liked have been 99% male.
those I've joined that have been split like 12 girls, 10 guys have had a major problem in terms of finding dates;
10-11 of the 12 girls have boyfriends(this is not just once this is repeatedly wherever I turn in the university campus world)
9/10 guys are single, meaning that last single girl, is either not much of a prize or I'm in some pretty deep competition.
Same in my classroom, I can keep counting up names of gals who have boyfriends, but only 1 or 2 out of 30~guys have a GF that I know of...

So that's how I ended up using match....
The 2 gils who have asked me this question asked me when I was meeting them irl., one at her home(the one I wrote a thread about because she also stole my wristwatch) and 1 in a cofee shop.
I found the question kinda rude or even down-putting both times, but tried to keep a good face and said I just wanted to try out an alternative to the "party-scene" because I'm just not that into the whole clubbing thing... both dates had more of these "good cookies" coming so eventually both turned into busts but... at least I tried...

unfortunatly these are also the only 2 meets I've had with women from match.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Most activities I've liked have been 99% male.
those I've joined that have been split like 12 girls, 10 guys have had a major problem in terms of finding dates;
10-11 of the 12 girls have boyfriends(this is not just once this is repeatedly wherever I turn in the university campus world)
9/10 guys are single, meaning that last single girl, is either not much of a prize or I'm in some pretty deep competition.
Same in my classroom, I can keep counting up names of gals who have boyfriends, but only 1 or 2 out of 30~guys have a GF that I know of...
I wholeheartedly sympathize with this predicament, but the statistics are confusing. If in a given social setting the vast majority of the women have boyfriends, but the vast majority of men do not, then where do the women find their boyfriends? Outside of that group? OK. But then presumably in the happy hunting grounds where those boyfriends are found, there must be lots of single women left aching for male attention?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:01 PM

13 posts, read 15,085 times
Quick answer yes...especially if you have qualms about it. Everything is not for everyone. And while some folks can feel perfectly at home in the online dating scene some folks are just not cut out for it. Does not mean you are better than anyone or above online dating- but simply that it's not meant for you.

I can speak for myself and say that I've always felt funny about online dating and every time it try it I feel like a total creep-o. I'm nervous about it, I'm skeptical about who I'm talking to/meeting and thus I'm never fully myself. Hence it's never worked out for me.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:12 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I wholeheartedly sympathize with this predicament, but the statistics are confusing. If in a given social setting the vast majority of the women have boyfriends, but the vast majority of men do not, then where do the women find their boyfriends? Outside of that group? OK. But then presumably in the happy hunting grounds where those boyfriends are found, there must be lots of single women left aching for male attention?

Lots of single women? Yes

Are they aching for male attention? Separate question

Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
I feel like if someone has to resort to using online dating then their dignity is greatly diminished. It means that a person has a fundamental flaw that inhibits them from properly communicating with the opposite sex in the real world.
Ok...what's your point? If you don't want to do online dating then just don't. The sites will carry on without you.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:39 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,103 times
Quote:
What century or part of the planet do you live in??

It's like saying, "You're a LOSER if you find your happy marriage on-line.. Gee- who'da think of that? Low life."

Even guys I meet in person are socially inept in one way or another, probably more so than the shy educated ones who utilize internet dating services to increase their odds. I know, what a bogus idea huh? Lol!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. It means this person is probably careful and knows what he's looking for, and is able to take advantage of the modern devices to improve interaction with others in order to get it. More than a third of marriages now start with online pairing, and with the popularity and increasing access to programs such as Skype, and hardware such as built-in cameras and microphones on computers and smartphones delivering live person video any time anywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if half of all new relationships formed by the year 2020 originated through online interaction.

"More than a third of recent marriages in the USA started online, according to a study out Monday that presents more evidence of just how much technology has taken hold of our lives." Study: More than a third of new marriages start online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships