Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 PM

88 posts, read 270,646 times

Advertisements

I was discussing this stigma with a work friend of mine. I never really actually thought about it but yes I could see how it would be hard for him. Personally, I'd try to put the fact off as long as possible.

Now I admit trailer hood can mean many things. Could mean a pop-up pulled by your Gremlin or in his case, a $75,000 fifth wheel pulled by a $50,000 rig fully paid off. Guy has cash and mostly blows it on multiple vacations and traveling. Now he could buy a house tomorrow but just hasn't found the right girl to settle down with. I laugh and tell him because he lives in a trailer! In all seriousness, I envy his life. I haven't been thinking full blown trailer but smaller house and traveling more.

Should he buy a house to improve his "settling down" potential from women? He is 33, single, no kids.

What would your first impressions be? How much stigma we talking here?

I would think if a guy has a house = responsible, an apartment = getting his life together, a trailer = ????. What do women say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Is he educated? Where does he get this "cash"?

Is he living this way by choice?

Old 11-30-2013, 09:24 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
I was discussing this stigma with a work friend of mine. I never really actually thought about it but yes I could see how it would be hard for him. Personally, I'd try to put the fact off as long as possible.

Now I admit trailer hood can mean many things. Could mean a pop-up pulled by your Gremlin or in his case, a $75,000 fifth wheel pulled by a $50,000 rig fully paid off. Guy has cash and mostly blows it on multiple vacations and traveling. Now he could buy a house tomorrow but just hasn't found the right girl to settle down with. I laugh and tell him because he lives in a trailer! In all seriousness, I envy his life. I haven't been thinking full blown trailer but smaller house and traveling more.

Should he buy a house to improve his "settling down" potential from women? He is 33, single, no kids.

What would your first impressions be? How much stigma we talking here?

I would think if a guy has a house = responsible, an apartment = getting his life together, a trailer = ????. What do women say?
Confident! Doesn't give a crap what others think.

He is doing what makes him happy.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:43 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Two trailer park girls go around the outside....around the outside....

Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Wouldn't bother me. I have friends who lives in a trailer park and they are as normal as anyone else.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Arrow View Post
in his case, a $75,000 fifth wheel pulled by a $50,000 rig fully paid off. Guy has cash and mostly blows it on multiple vacations and traveling. Now he could buy a house tomorrow but just hasn't found the right girl to settle down with...
He should definitely not buy a house until he meets a woman who wants to buy it with him. The house is her territory -- she should get a 51% say in which house they choose.

He sounds like he has his life together far more than most guys his age. If he can't get dates, it's not because of where he lives.

Unless maybe he is trying to date women who don't understand financial planning? Maybe that is where he is going wrong.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 PM

88 posts, read 270,646 times
He is living this way completely by choice. He is a site supervisor/assistant supervisor/quality control officer for construction projects. His company is all over so he can take temp jobs almost where he chooses. Also, he can "grow roots" almost anywhere if he so chooses. His grand plan was to snowbird but the south just doesn't pay according to him. I suppose the company pays according to cost of living. So he spends his winters in a trailer up here in the great white northeast.

He can pull a date here and there. No Fabio but he can hold his own. Just that it is true, there is that hesitation from women when he says, "So yeah, my house has wheels."

Old 11-30-2013, 10:43 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I live in a 28 foot airstream.

I don't owe anything on it or my tow vehicle.

I also have 80 acres I'm building on...

If they take exception to the airstream... I don't tell them about the 80 acres!

(my GF has no issue with it... Except it has no tub!!!)

Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 PM

324 posts, read 440,935 times
I ain't buying no house until I settle / married so the stigma about buying a house while single means responsible to me it is so dumb -_- I'll just never understand it

Old 12-01-2013, 12:55 AM

3,378 posts, read 5,007,188 times
I originated not quite of the trailer park, but of a trailer out in the boonies.

My life can be quite the plethora of Jeff Foxworthy jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships