Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:58 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Maybe he's afraid to say no because you are awesome, but afraid to say yes because of the distance?

Big hugs, and wishing you luck with health and with guys . And with the health care system .
Yes yes Nila, I'm sure that's it. Thank you for corroborating.

And oh my lord, don't get me started on the healthcare system--I'm so angry right now I'm seeing red, b/c some dumbsh*t didn't code the MRI correctly so insurance didn't accept it and then she lied when she set the appt to cover her butt and we had to cancel the whole thing today. Yes, I would not have been lovely on the date, lol.

And yes guys, I'm sure it's the distance thing but if he were truly excited, I don't think it would bother him as much. After all, it's a long way for me too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:04 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
You said you met because he swung by on his way home from his daughter's home. Is he going to see his daughter again on this second visit?

I ask because it almost sounds like it was just convenient for him to visit - not that he was motivated by his attraction to you. If that's the case the second time, I wouldn't be very excited about the potential.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:22 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I think distance is the issue. He likes you a lot, but traveling to maintain the relationship won't work. He's right. Don't overthink it or beat yourself up over it. Distance is a legitimate deal breaker.
I agree with Ellie. I have met some great guys OL and then in person over the last few months, witty, good-looking, and educated, with exciting jobs/pastimes....however most of them just live too far to get together over hot chocolate or to grab a movie or concert, or anything casual. It would be a whole lot of driving and arranging. I've been the one to fade out in those cases, because my jobs and family things make it impossible to get together.

I'm at the point where I don't even answer messages if they live over 50 miles away, because I know I would never be able to work that out in actual relationship-land.

So, I just think it's that. He's 61 (older than us) and may just be kind of a homebody and won't admit it.

Re: the 'bows and ribbons' comment --
First thought -- aw, that's really old-fashioned and sweet.
Second thought -- that's kind of gay.

...but then, I have a super-twitchy gay-dar, as do you, I'm sure!

Hugs for you, my friend.
bird

Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Does the part about "a bow and ribbons" bother anybody else?
Yes, seems patronizing.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
You said you met because he swung by on his way home from his daughter's home. Is he going to see his daughter again on this second visit?

I ask because it almost sounds like it was just convenient for him to visit - not that he was motivated by his attraction to you. If that's the case the second time, I wouldn't be very excited about the potential.
No, it was way out of the way the first time--added hours to his trip and this time he was just going to drive down, which would have made for an 8 hr day of drive time. LOL on the gay-dar. He's not exactly homophobic from what I can tell, and that would be a deal breaker for me having a gay daughter, but he's from Alabama. Nuff said. LOL.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
I am sorry if it is not working out .

Y'know, I have been hesitant to mention this, because it's a subject I am ignorant about and no one else has brought it up, but um, er... do guys tend to be less motivated when they are older?

I mean, they are always talking about how their sex drive is so much less than when they were young (at least, guys I know are). Does this make them less willing to initiate relationship stuff?

And if so, do women need to do more, and is it difficult to balance that with not making him feel steamrollered into something?

Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I am sorry if it is not working out .

Y'know, I have been hesitant to mention this, because it's a subject I am ignorant about and no one else has brought it up, but um, er... do guys tend to be less motivated when they are older?

I mean, they are always talking about how their sex drive is so much less than when they were young (at least, guys I know are). Does this make them less willing to initiate relationship stuff?

And if so, do women need to do more, and is it difficult to balance that with not making him feel steamrollered into something?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking about I think, only you said it better. Men?

Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 PM

174 posts, read 230,240 times
First, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, Stepka, take care of yourself!

I'm a woman. For what it's worth, my guy is 55 to my 51 and we've been dating for close to a year since meeting online. A couple of times he did make mention that he's no longer young... but he's still able to deliver (I think he takes a bit longer), if you know what I mean. Both of us came out of long marriages (over 20 years for each of us), where each of us respectively made the decision to leave our spouses. We left our respective marriage for incompatibility problems, we didn't know each other when we left. Also, he has four kids, I have three, about the same age, although my kids are more mature and independent.

There are a few things that I have noticed:
- he is taking it slow in regards to our relationship, but I think it's due to issues with his relationship with his daughter
- we're not living together, I live in my own place the next building over, and he seems content with that
- he's says that he wants a relationship (that's why he was on-line) and I have to trust that he does

In the course of online dating, I find that most men in their mid-fifties say that they generally want to be in a relationship and give a good chase, but not solely for sex. They are also slowing down a bit, they are realizing their limitations and they generally want to be taken care of. They may also be more traditional as well.

Stepka, I'm thinking that in your situation, the two issues would possibly be both distance and your new health issues.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 PM

52,203 posts, read 52,636,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm asking about I think, only you said it better. Men?
A lessening of the sex drive and does it impact the drive for a relationship.... IDK..... I think in some ways it may make a guy become more "honest", maybe more of a connection, mentally, or spiritually, instead of just trying to get some steady.... you know what......

IDK.... just shooting from the hip.... the flip side is now without the desire to break off some, he might shine women more.... IDK

Sorry, didn't help much, I guess.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Does the part about "a bow and ribbons" bother anybody else?
I assumed he meant in the context of a present or gift.

Quote:
You are a really nice package, you just need a bow and maybe a few ribbons
[or maybe he wants to tie her up]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships