Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 05:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
So what makes a guy interesting/not interesting?
I'd question what makes those girls authorities on whether a guy is interesting or not.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:06 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,349,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
So what makes a guy interesting/not interesting?
Women often find a guy who has a good job that pays well and has a future to be extremely interesting.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:33 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
No woman can speak for all women. No man can speak for all men. So I'll tell you why my guy is interesting to me, and why I don't think he's been interesting to other women before me.

He is introverted, older, quiet, somewhat socially awkward. He is slightly hard of hearing, so has difficulty doing conversation in places with lots of background noise (where the social gatherings are.) But I am patient, I noted this and diverted us to quieter places to talk. He liked to listen, and I can talk forever with someone new who hasn't heard all of my stories, so he did not have to do tricks to impress me. We got together a few times. At one point I gave him a rather strong hint that I was down to have sex with him (told him about a dream I'd had) and he did not pick up that ball and run with it. I was puzzled. Told a girlfriend, not sure what he's waiting for...and at this point wondering if he's actually interested.

All of this initial awkwardness would make him not so interesting to other women, I suspect.

I persevered. Found out, one night when he told me, that he is never really certain of a woman's interest and does not do well with hints...so I came right out and told him I wanted him, and we've been a couple since Nov. 2015. It's been great. Things I learned about him along the way that make him interesting to me:

- He has a number of fascinating collections. Art, coins, rare books, movies, games, toys, rpg (like D&D) miniatures, autographs for miles. This is interesting because the things he has chosen to accumulate illustrate the interests he has had and parts of himself.
- He knows how to fly small aircraft.
- He knows how to juggle.
- He is patient. Unlike many men who would get irritable having to stand in line for something fun, he is ok to wait if it's worth it, to get to what is at the end. (I don't like grouchy complainers.)
- He has a high degree of empathy and is very sensitive to what others feel and think. (After marriage to a narcissist this is golden.)
- He can introduce me to nearly endless new music, movies, and shows I've never seen. His knowledge and collections of such media are diverse and vast.
- He's into philosophical Buddhism, Tao, and Tantra.

I think that stuff is fascinating, though I'm perhaps less intrigued by his Broncos fandom, or love of Looney Tunes cartoons, I don't scorn him for such...you take the cool with the meh in a situation like that.

But I never would have known that stuff if I had not had patience with him to relax and show me his layers, if I'd needed to be impressed immediately. He is rather unassuming on the surface.

Interesting is in the eye of the beholder. A guy who invited me to the shooting range would not stand a chance, but plenty of women would enjoy that. I'd rather go to Comic Con or play D&D, or watch Star Trek.

I don't think OP ever came back and explained anything further, did he?

Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
Not interesting = I don't find you attractive. It happens just move on.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Nice old thread.

Interesting is subjective. But one thing I would suggest is finding something you are passionate about. Also, developing your talents and gifts. That could raise your interest factor.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:18 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Women often find a guy who has a good job that pays well and has a future to be extremely interesting.
Not really. It depends on the guy. A lot of those guys are very boring. "Interesting" is someone who's fun, who takes an interest in the woman he's with, and who has a variety of interests outside of work, or who travels, and is a good conversationalist.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:27 AM

229 posts, read 463,178 times
What makes a guy interesting, in my opinion: travel experiences; having lived in another part of the country or of the world; exposure to a variety of life experiences and hobbies; a refined taste in music and arts; doing activities outside the mandatory work or school; knowledge of geography, basic history and science, and of current events; a good taste in clothes (doesn't have to be style obsessed, but to know how to dress appropriately, and to have good quality clothes for each occasion- yes); speaking another language; having taken reasonable risk with the purpose of personal growth; demonstrating personal development throughout his lifetime (if you were born, raised and never left your small rural town- that, by my personal standards, is boring as f.....); career ambition; desire to try new foods and activities.

Overall, someone interesting is someone who is always exposing himself to activities to make him a better/more knowledgeable person tomorrow than he was yesterday. Perpetual growth and development is interesting. Stagnation is boring.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:07 AM

746 posts, read 442,503 times
Hobbies/interests are NOT what matters. It's how deep his pockets are, and how big his bank account is, and what he looks like that matters.

And nothing else.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:08 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not really. It depends on the guy. A lot of those guys are very boring. "Interesting" is someone who's fun, who takes an interest in the woman he's with, and who has a variety of interests outside of work, or who travels, and is a good conversationalist.
Or interest is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I think what makes a person interesting is that they are interestED in a lot of things. People who find a lot of things fascinating, and pursue those interests, are interesting. No one is as boring as someone who is bored easily, and says it. "I'm bored, what do you want to do" is a REALLY boring thing to say, where "hey want to go kayaking?" (or some other interest) is a fun thing to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships