Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree?
I agree 11 33.33%
I disagree 14 42.42%
It kinda depends/I'm On the Fence 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times

Advertisements

Another in my series of threads where I'll take a quote or phrase which relates to dating/relationships and ask what you guys think.

This is from Chris Rock's Kill the Messenger special

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dGhsRsHXP8

Obviously this is comedy so you have to take it with a grain of salt but I've always said the funniest things tend to have elements of truth in them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 07:17 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I can't hear it and the closed captions are complete nonsense (seriously, turn on the cc and read it and try to make sense). So I have no idea what you mean by men can't go back sexually and women can't go backwards in lifestyle. Is there anyway you can write a summery of what he's joking about?

Old 12-11-2013, 07:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,520,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I can't hear it and the closed captions are complete nonsense (seriously, turn on the cc and read it and try to make sense). So I have no idea what you mean by men can't go back sexually and women can't go backwards in lifestyle. Is there anyway you can write a summery of what he's joking about?

Basically what he said is that a woman cannot go from a house to an apartment. Her lifestyle has to keep improving. And men can't go from a woman that is really freaky in bed to someone not as freaky. So if has last girlfriend was giving him three bj's a week, and his next gf isn't giving him any, he won't be happy.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:22 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Women: if she got spoiled she needs to be spoiled.
Men: spoiled sexually. Want same thing.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I don't think it is completely untrue. After having one of our kids, I had a lot of 'damage' and really couldn't do the same things as before. It was very depressing for him!!! I was healed a year later and our relationship has really improved now that I'm in 'working order' again.

I suppose this statement generally reflects a woman's need for financial security and a man's need for sexual fulfillment. Opposite sex will scream till they are blue in the face that those things aren't as important as they are but ... they are.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Chris Rock has also joked that the reason there are cities is because women won't have sex in cardboard boxes. And there is an element of truth to that--women are largely the reason there is "civilization," and a very strong motivator for men to be civilized is sex. This was recognized at least as far back as Homer's "Odyssey."

Leave a bunch of guys together for a while--ain't no civilization goin' on there. Introduce a few women--civilization!

Old 12-11-2013, 07:59 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Every stand up comedian has their own routine on relationships. I find them all funny...not always true to a whole gender, but funny.

Like this one...."You can't out argue a woman because they got a memory that go back 20-30 years. And an accurate memory - know time, date, place, what you wore and your hand position while you said it." I laugh at it because I am guilty of this very thing. And there's more....

SiNbAd: Brain Damaged (Part 5) - YouTube

It's just a slice of life, not something to guage science on.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
That is awful. He is funny but so cynical.

And his assertion is not always true. Sometimes people choose on their own to go backwards. It's an opportunity cost.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:15 AM

888 posts, read 1,099,608 times
My 1st wife brought home another woman on two different occasions. (I'm not going to discuss the health of our relationship and I respect your different points of view). I wasn't allowed to go all the way, but I did get to play! It was always a surprise. I understood that these partners were for her and I just got to benefit.

As much fun and as thrilling as that was, I couldn't imagine inviting another partner to create infidelity in our relationship. It would be foolish of me to have even a subconscious expectation.
Even if I was lucky enough to find a partner who was into the same thing, the women might look butchier!! (kidding)

In regards to women downsizing, I don't by that either

Old 12-11-2013, 08:19 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
I think both propositions tend to be true with regard to moving from one uncommitted relationship to another uncommitted relationship.

Strongly committed relationships by definition should resist such changes. For a lot of couples, "for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health" still have meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships