Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times

Advertisements

At least they have someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:29 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
Because codependent relationships are destructive to one or both individuals.

To use an extreme example, a codependent will buy the drugs or alcohol to keep an addict attached to them. Not healthy at all.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
Hmm, what's so destructive about needing attention, though?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,179,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Hmm, what's so destructive about needing attention, though?
Co-dependency means weighing each other down in order to keep that negative attention. It is not a positive thing at all.

Yes, we all are geared toward positive human attention, however just to have someone pay attention to you - and you don't care how can often lead to very destructive behavior - even death.

I know a young woman/ quasi relative who's boyfriend is a major alcoholic and he has a tracking device on her telephone. He has to know where she is at all times. He is not allowed anywhere near any family functions as he is violent and has a long arrest record for a number of things. She has a maturity level of about 10 years off her real age. I believe she is 27 and that would make her maturity level of about a 17 year old. She is behaving the way you have been posting in this thread - at least someone is paying attention to her - doesn't matter what type of attention.

They or if it was her own apartment, have been evicted from everyone because of his behavior.

They have a routine. She ends up in the hospital or crisis center for trying to kill herself and he becomes all lovely and apologetic. So, three days later the cycle continues. He will either kill her or she will end up killing herself.

Two days after she got out of the hospital for one of these dramatic episodes she sat next to me at my nephew's football game and introduced him to me as her 'fiancé.' I politely said hello when in my mind I was thinking, 'Are you effin' kidding me???' When he leaned over her to say hello to me he just reeked of alcohol dripping from his pores.

They need each other to stay just the way they are for the rest of their lives to fill whatever attention gap they have in their own lives.

Now, to me, this is wayyyyy too much drama and negativity to deal with just for attention. It's also dangerous. Try and manage a relationship like this along with kids and a job and you are just headed for disaster.

Codependants hold each other down and back from evolving and growing as a person.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:16 AM

Here is some third party psychological information about co-dependency you should probably look up and read.

People with a Codependency condition often form or maintain relationships that are one-sided, emotionally destructive and/or abusive verbally or physically. Does this sound like your situation?

DIG & Codependency Therapy

Old 12-12-2013, 04:24 AM

175 posts, read 275,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post

It is not a positive thing at all.

Codependants hold each other down and back from evolving and growing as a person.
Pretty much sums everything up. People develop & grow more if they act & take responsibility for their own lives.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:26 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Unlike most people, I don't see it as bad. I see it as very good as long as both people can still keep up their normal responsibilities and the relationship is not toxic (ie tons of fighting and bad habits). I don't admire couples or people who are super independent at all. I know of a ton of codependent couples that are just fine.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Unlike most people, I don't see it as bad. I see it as very good as long as both people can still keep up their normal responsibilities and the relationship is not toxic (ie tons of fighting and bad habits). I don't admire couples or people who are super independent at all. I know of a ton of codependent couples that are just fine.

You might be misusing or misinterpreting the word. Could you share an example of you are talking about?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:47 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
You might be misusing or misinterpreting the word. Could you share an example of you are talking about?
How could I be misinterpreting the word? I personally think the word is over-used in a negative way. Codependency in itself is not bad, especially when the relationship is good. It's bad when the relatiinship is bad. My parents were codependent on each other. Almost every happy marriage I can think of has some codependency involved. People just attach a negative Conotation to the word. It reminds me of the word "need". Say that word in regards to relationships and people go running for the hills.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
How could I be misinterpreting the word? I personally think the word is over-used in a negative way. Codependency in itself is not bad, especially when the relationship is good. It's bad when the relatiinship is bad. My parents were codependent on each other. Almost every happy marriage I can think of has some codependency involved. People just attach a negative Conotation to the word. It reminds me of the word "need". Say that word in regards to relationships and people go running for the hills.
I simply asked for a real example of a situation in a little more detail to see what you are applying the word to...not an argument. Of course we all have needs - that's different than 'needy.' There is a definite dictionary and psychological definition of co-dependency and the word was born of scientific research not popular street culture.

I provided an example of what I believe co-dependency is in my post above, I was just curious as to what you see as an example of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships