Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times

Advertisements

I've had a bad experience with someone and photos I, myself, took for a photography class. I have often wondered where they will pop up since I never copy righted them in my own name.

We were working with B and W film and this particular project was to learn how to use natural light and shutter speed with the auto settings to get a self portrait. While everyone else did the redundant head shot I went a little more radical hanging a fur coat from my waist down and a back lit shot. (This means there was absolutely no way of determining who I was by this photograph and it didn't show anything inappropriate).

I took them and developed them myself. I received high marks for creativity and quality. Then, impending doom, when the guy I was dating at the time handed me a flyer type thing for a photo contest from this pervy student aid for a photo contest in some nightclub - there it was, my picture I took. He challenged me to sue him and actually wanted me to because it would garner him more publicity if I did. It was an awful feeling to be taken advantage of in this manner. The best I could do was to call and threaten the nightclub because these were unapproved pictures - but since I didn't copy right them they really were fair game. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I was lucky enough by virtue of how I took the photos, that I can't imagine the hell I would have gone through if they were revealing frontal shots. They always end up in a google image search of some kind or misused without your permission. Think of the many of layers that make up the trail of those who could possibly end up with these photos before you do them.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:10 AM

809 posts, read 1,272,930 times
Lots of playboy material here.

They should do a girls of city-data pictorial.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:00 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I've had a bad experience with someone and photos I, myself, took for a photography class. I have often wondered where they will pop up since I never copy righted them in my own name.
At the risk of hijacking a thread, once you press the shutter of a camera, you own the copyright to the picture the camera just took. I know for a fact you can win cases without ever copyrighting a photo through any official means.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
At the risk of hijacking a thread, once you press the shutter of a camera, you own the copyright to the picture the camera just took. I know for a fact you can win cases without ever copyrighting a photo through any official means.
Good info to know, but he wanted me to go after him so he would get free publicity for his sleezy BS photography projects. Every time you go after someone you have to weigh the social implications of your actions and in this case it was just best I leave it be as hard as it was to do. My attorney still has them in a file.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
I'm about to call BS on this Penthouse Letter because the OP hasn't returned.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I hate it when the OP doesn't come back!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I'm about to call BS on this Penthouse Letter because the OP hasn't returned.
Go for it!

Old 12-13-2013, 06:27 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsEva View Post
Hi everyone. My husband and I are having a difference of opinion and I wanted to get some objective views... so here I am.

First of all, my husband (Dave) and I have been married a bit over two years but have known each other for about four years. I consider our relationship excellent. In fact we joke about how our personalities compliment each other rather than being the same. Communication between us is also great.

One area that we differ on is past relationships and I suppose attitudes toward them. I was a free spirit and enjoyed exploring the world of relationships and sexuality. I never felt bad about the experiences I had. Dave was alot more reserved. So as you can expect I have had alot more "variety" than he has. Anyway, all of this was discussed way before we got married and Dave understood that he was "the guy" for me forever. Again it was all about communication. I wanted us to be completely honest with each other and we were. He's still not crazy about my past but he knows I love him with all my heart. I've introduced him to a couple of past flames (both are married now) because they are in our circle of friends and once again I wanted to be honest.

Our "intimate life" is great. I sort of took the lead in the beginning - he was a heck of a good student! I never deny him and he never denies me. We've discussed fantasies and have even tried a few. So I know he's happy.

One of his was to have some sexy boudoir photos of me. I was completely game for it. We both wanted them to be high glossy and plaboyish looking so the issue came up of how and who and where we could do this. Dave has never been too keen on having guys "ogle" me so I suggested "Ken" (who is one of my exes that we are friends with). Ken's passion is photography and we've seen some of his work. Dave didn't initially like the idea at all but I told him that Ken is definitely a known commodity and he's a good guy who we can trust. Anyway, Dave eventually agreed with me and I asked Ken if he was OK with it (and his wife!!) and he said sure.

So this past weekend wewent over to Kenand Louise's home where he has a home studio. The shoot went really well. I thought I'd be nervous but I wasn't. Dave on the other hand was sort of nervous but eventually was OK to the point that he even suggested some poses.

At one point Ken suggested that we take some photos in their great room so we all went there. As we left his studio I was wearing a robe of course. Once we got to the other room we saw that Ken and Louise's son (1st year college) was there. Ken was nonchalant and said let's continue. So I took off the robe and we continued. The son came in and out of the room on a few occassions. It didn't bother me because I'm pretty confident about my body and am not ashmaed of it (I've been to topless beaches). I couldn't really gauge Dave's reactions so we continued until Ken suggested that we call it a day.

When we got home Dave said that he was shocked. I was truly surprised and asked him why. He said it was bad enough that Ken saw me undressed but now so did their son. He said I should have stopped the shoot once we saw that the son was there.

I told him that it really is not a big deal at all but he says it is and has been upset all week.

How can I help him overcome his sense that something wrong happened when nothing wrong did?
You should be a single woman for life. The ole, "it was just my Ex, why is he so upset" you don't get it? You never will! Say single, have all the fun you want. If I was dating you, I would have walked out on the spot, left you with little Kenny boy and never looked back.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsEva View Post
Hi everyone. My husband and I are having a difference of opinion and I wanted to get some objective views... so here I am.

How can I help him overcome his sense that something wrong happened when nothing wrong did?
I'm troubled with this because I get the feeling you are too comfortable with your body and lack boundries, especially where your husband is concerned. A real professional photographer, be it male or female, won't oogle over a nude person and that is the route you two should have went. Methinks you suggested "Ken" to relive some of your past all the while appearing to oblige your husband's fantasy. "Ken's" son being there was an added bonus for you.

Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,424 times
I'm really going to go against most posters here. I'm a woman and I too have a "free spirited past." I really don't think the OP did anything wrong here. It was her hubby's fantasy to have photos taken of her. Yes, they could have gone to some pro they didn't know but how would that have made Dave feel better?

I agree that going to Ken was the right thing to do. He was and is a known person who they could take comfort in beeing safe with. Also, he was her ex, but so what? I would argue that that should have made it easier for Dave. After all, Ken had already seen OP in the all together many times in the past.

Nowhere does OP state that she has any feelings toward Ken and Ken handles himself properly during the shoot. It's not like he made any passes at her. Also, OP said that Dave did eventually come around. He even suggested poses for heavens sake!As far as Ken's son being there, it's not like he planted himself there for the view. If he had, Ken probably would have told him to leave. And it's not like Dave did anything so it could be that at some level he was OK. As f r as the son himself, I don't know if he found excuses to come in and out, but again, where is the harm? He saw Dave's wife nude. If anything, I say you go girl. Dave should be proud that he has a sexy wife that a college kid would find attractive. The son actually paid them a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships